10-09-2016 05:58 PM
72 123
tools
    Right. And the longer this drags out, the worse it makes Samsung look as a whole. At this point they need to cut their losses before the bad publicity bleeds onto the S8 launch next year.
    They ought to put this behind them as soon as they can.

They don't want to be reminded of this when the S8 comes around.

Sales shouldn't be their prime concern now. They still need to build trust in their customers and that should be their priority.
    dsignori likes this.
    10-07-2016 02:34 AM
    Not sure what my next phone would be IF there is another recall. I love mobile vs, so I guess I would get the new Pixel XL.
    10-07-2016 05:36 AM
    IMO none of those options are necessary based on a one off incident with unknown causes. Yes it sucks for the reputation, but unless there's something going on that we don't know about, there's nothing wrong with the replacement devices.
    10-07-2016 08:00 AM
    Everyone can speculate all they want. Until the official word gets out, I will keep using my current Note 7 as I did my last one. Which I didn't have any issues with. Once the smoke clears (No pun intended) we will be discussing the upcoming Note 8.
    Amele and Fit24 like this.
    10-07-2016 08:09 AM
    The replacement Note 7s have been on the wild for how long...a little more than 3 weeks now? Assuming that of the roughly 2.5 millions that needed to be replaced 90% of them have been replaced already there has to be over 2 millions new Note 7 out there, and in about 3 weeks there has been just 1 incident reported and still hasn't confirmed the cause of it. The original Note was released and just days after it was released there were the first reports already and in a matter of 2-3 weeks there were around 100 incidents reported around the world.

So, I think it's fair to assume that the replacements were double and triple checked before they were released, there is no way a Giant company like Samsung could overlook something like this, not a second time, plus if the CPSC gave the green light for the replacements they must have tested the new ones also, otherwise, they will also be responsible for a new mess.

So if 1 out of over 2,000,000 phones has failed that's by itself totally understandable and that can and happens to every other company right now, not just Samsung, every single device that uses the same type of battery will have the same chances to fail. About 3 incidents were reported this past weekend of new iPhone 7 and 7+ exploding just like the Note 7 and that gets me to the the reason of my post and something I thought since I heard the news about the latest incident on the plane. One of the iPhone 7 plus that exploded just arrived like that to the buyer, it seems that the phone was mishandled in transit and received a direct impact to the phone though the box and immediately caused the same reaction, SO what if the guy on the plane had the phone off as he said but stored in a bag while he was boarding the plane and some other objects just press the phone to the point of causing the smoke and fire afterwards? Something that can happen to any other device out there, right?

For me, even if it wasn't the latter and it was just a failing battery, I highly doubt this will cause any other recall or further issues with the phone, 1 out of 2M phones won't make the CPSC assume any responsibility about allowing the replacement in the first place. Samsung may have deep pockets and did what not too many companies would have done by doing the recall for all the phones instead of just a bunch of them, but I'm sure that they are not that dumb to just do a wash of face and send 2.5M replacements and keep production to sell more units not being sure that the only defect was the battery. Any normal and thinking person would know that a second recall will cost them a lot more than a fortune, they could permanently damage their brand, and again, people talk as if they are part of the Board of Directors and know first hand all the details, and forget that this people are simply amazing businessmen and whatever we may be think now they have already thought about it and made decisions based on that.
    invincible1914 and Fit24 like this.
    10-07-2016 01:30 PM
    Replaceable batteries can still fail. Why do people keep saying removable batteries wouldn't have been a problem? I agree that the recall would have been easier (just recall the batteries) but the bad batteries would have still exploded/caught fire.
    mag44 likes this.
    10-07-2016 01:50 PM
    Replaceable batteries can still fail. Why do people keep saying removable batteries wouldn't have been a problem? I agree that the recall would have been easier (just recall the batteries) but the bad batteries would have still exploded/caught fire.
    I don't think that anyone was saying that removable batteries would not have failed. I've only seen comments that speculated that it would have been easier to do the recall if the batteries had been accessible by users.
    10-07-2016 02:01 PM
    I believe that with the SECOND batch of battery problems in Japan Samsung has just got to move on from the Note 7. Kill it and take the time to make sure the Note 8 has no and I mean NO such problems.
    10-07-2016 04:52 PM
    I think USA Today is a terrible newspaper. In general, I mean, not about this. I also think that
    one or even two such incidents among the replaced phones is probably par for the course, as my
    dad used to say. The first batch of what, 2 million? Had forty or fifty problems. Less in hand now, but still quite a few. Where are all the people talking about the Iphone that burned some woman's bedroom, supposedly? Never had a moment's problem with the recalled one and its replacement is just fine, too. Sometimes I hate the internet for how fast and far 'news' travels.
    rushmore likes this.
    10-07-2016 09:45 PM
    I think USA Today is a terrible newspaper. In general, I mean, not about this. I also think that
    one or even two such incidents among the replaced phones is probably par for the course, as my
    dad used to say. The first batch of what, 2 million? Had forty or fifty problems. Less in hand now, but still quite a few. Where are all the people talking about the Iphone that burned some woman's bedroom, supposedly? Never had a moment's problem with the recalled one and its replacement is just fine, too. Sometimes I hate the internet for how fast and far 'news' travels.
    I travel more than I care to and most hotels there is a USA Today in front of my door in the morning. Seriously, I treat it as a doormat and it is gone when I get back later after room cleaning.

Not sure what "USA" stands for in regards to the paper.
    10-07-2016 10:46 PM
    I'll think I'll wait until the investigation is completed.
    10-07-2016 11:46 PM
    No Samsung phone for me until they make something that doesn't explode.
    10-08-2016 12:52 AM
    The Note 7 is toast. With questions and now all the carriers giving buyers the opportunity to replace them, there is no turning back. Samsung needs to concentrate on the Note 8 and make sure it's a flawless launch.
    10-08-2016 01:00 AM
    I think that the phone that burned on the airplane was a one-off problem child. There are instances like this with all phones including the almighty iPhone. I don't expect it to become a big deal.
    Agreed, there were a couple isolated issues with iPhones but as you said 'problem children'. Unless it happens to 25+ people, the news won't pay to much attention to it. in my opinion.
    10-08-2016 03:31 AM
    It may not be the battery that's at fault! It could be related to the internal workings of the phone. I'm no expert, but could it have something to do with how the battery or current are regulated?
    10-08-2016 05:01 AM
    No Samsung phone for me until they make something that doesn't explode.
    You are good then, since they are not exploding
    10-08-2016 07:05 AM
    It may not be the battery that's at fault! It could be related to the internal workings of the phone. I'm no expert, but could it have something to do with how the battery or current are regulated?
    It is a chemical short due to the layer between the anode and cathode being compromised. Poor QC with their battery production and even worse lot control of what devices the batteries were in and where they were at.

Even cheapo battery makers serial each battery and have lot control. Samsung apparent process with this seems very wrong.
    10-08-2016 07:09 AM
    Agreed, there were a couple isolated issues with iPhones but as you said 'problem children'. Unless it happens to 25+ people, the news won't pay to much attention to it. in my opinion.
    What apparently happened here were some fires and smoke reported in Korea (some discredited) and then shortly after this, Jeep Guy got front page coverage. THAT is the catalyst for the hype. Then Garage Guy, Grandma and Pocket Guy. All apparently discredited, or dubious.

No Jeep Guy, likely no drama and hysteria.
    10-08-2016 07:14 AM
    Not that it is Great... But Lithium POLYMER batteries are much more likely to fail (and burn) than LiFePO4. (RC Drones also use LiPolymer,and for those they sell kevlar bags to charge batteries in to contain any fire, due to bad battery,or overcharging problems !!!) But the polymer ones are the type used in all phones because they have higher watts/gram (Higher energy density). And the FAST charging that is more popular makes overheating more likely.

This is one reason that I normally use slow, 500ma or 1000ma charging for my electronics. IMHO, When charging overnight, or when you won't be watching the phone, fast charging is probably not a great idea for any phone,or tablet.
    10-08-2016 07:17 AM
    He dropped his phone before it got hot! Damage from a fall to a metal walkway is more than enough to set off battery failure.
    10-08-2016 07:29 AM
    I think what many defenders of the Note 7 are missing is that perception trumps what you might feel about the device.

That is the world we live in.

You can keep and love the device, which I might still do.

But if perception leads to bans on airlines or inconvenience while flying (I use my phone powered on ALL THE TIME when flying) then I'd rather not deal with it. Sorry but it's reality.

I love my Note 7 and i don't have these issues as most don't. But I fly and I have already been inconvenienced a few times and broke out my laptop and downloaded damn music to it vs using my phone and working on laptop.

To many that might not seem that big a deal. But i don't want the extra steps and change the way I have done things simply because Samsung can't seem to iron out this issue or control the message.

It is what it is.
    seajypsy likes this.
    10-08-2016 07:30 AM
    He dropped his phone before it got hot! Damage from a fall to a metal walkway is more than enough to set off battery failure.
    100 % FALSE. He shut the phone off, placed it in his shirt or jacket pocket, felt it get very hot and then when it was already failing dropped it to the ground.
    10-08-2016 07:32 AM
    I have the replacement ,and no friggin issue , actually even the first phone I had there was no issue , so really I don't know ...also I own a Lexus ,and a Toyota so no issues there also just was tempted to include that as well lol cheers.....also I hope nougat comes to the n7
    10-08-2016 07:33 AM
    100 % FALSE. He shut the phone off, placed it in his shirt or jacket pocket, felt it get very hot and then when it was already failing dropped it to the ground.
    Even if he dropped the phone, which the news doesn't indicate, if the note 7 can't handle a drop without going kaboom, that's not good news either. Dropped my m8 and 6s many times with no issues. Silly to use that as an excuse.
    10-08-2016 08:44 AM
    I think if I listened to anything that USA today prints...I'd be seriously dumber...like 50-60 IW points lower.
    rushmore likes this.
    10-08-2016 08:58 AM
72 123