USA today says Samsung has three choices in dealing with the Note 7. What do you think?

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think that the phone that burned on the airplane was a one-off problem child. There are instances like this with all phones including the almighty iPhone. I don't expect it to become a big deal.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Until root cause analysis is completed it's hard to say, but Samsung is on a very short rope at this point. If it was a post-recall device, they will have to have a very good explanation as to why this one device was somehow special in ways that others are not. They don't just have to convince us, they have to convince the FAA to make this phone viable.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Another media source that shows no history of the two iPhone plane fire events. USA today..... A paper at my hotel room doors that I use as a door mat.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't owned a Note 7 since the recall. 4 different people walked up to me to tell me about the event. If it truly is one of the "safe" ones it calls into question if any ever were or ever will be safe. The feds are not in the mood for another "this is just a fluke and he used a cheap charger and user error and Apple planned it" excuses to prevent official and complete recall.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned above, iPhones have caught fire recently also. It is the inherent unstable nature of the lithium-ion cell batteries. Every so often one has a catastrophic failure. The high instance of battery failures in the original batch is what caused the recall. This ONE phone out of let's just say 100,000 is probably within the normal occurrence rate. And Samsung said they had shipped 500,000 replacement devices to the US, so the odds are even better.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
1 out of 100,00 within normal rate??

More like 1 out of 10 MILLION.

" A one-in-200,000 failure triggered the recall of almost six million lithium-ion batteries in 2006. Sony, the manufacturer of these cells, said that on rare occasions microscopic metal particles may come into contact with other parts of the battery cell, leading to a short circuit than can cause venting with flame."

Safety of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

As mentioned above, iPhones have caught fire recently also. It is the inherent unstable nature of the lithium-ion cell batteries. Every so often one has a catastrophic failure. The high instance of battery failures in the original batch is what caused the recall. This ONE phone out of let's just say 100,000 is probably within the normal occurrence rate. And Samsung said they had shipped 500,000 replacement devices to the US, so the odds are even better.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
If this phone that caught fire is in fact a post recall replacement Note 7, the Note 7 model will be recalled and the 7 will be put to rest. I'm waiting on a Note 8 and one thing is very certain...

I will as usual wait till the bugs get worked out of the new model as I NEVER get tempted into buying a pre release when the company dangles free goodies before me! Samsung came up with such a fine phone in the Note 7. Unfortunately, either their design or QC has let them down.

My current Note 5 will then be my backup Verizon phone.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
For folks really concerned, and pending the outcome of the investigation, I think that they should allow an voluntary exchange and/or refund again, if all is OK.

It'll allow peace of mind for many folks, especially with the holidays around the corner and folks traveling.

I'm glad the CPSC is involved from the start with this. It means we'll likely not have to wait 2 weeks to find out what our options are next. Chances are everything is OK and we don't need to worry. But just in case, we'll know sooner than later if we need to take action.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
How could everything be ok? New safe version isn't. I don't want to be afraid to leave a room with phone charging nor be denied entry someplace without turning off my phone.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I think they would give a full refund AND pay for any device I want.

Seems only fair. I wish I had not walked out of At&t with 4 new Samsungs in August. I've always had issues with them but really love the Note 7. Oh well.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree, but it doesn't matter anymore.

Maybe. All depends on the findings. Samsung can kiss several more billion goodbye if the hammer falls. Plus lose a lot of customers- even the more loyal ones. Seems prudent to bring back replaceable batteries and accept a retirement curve beyond the desired two years. This issue would have cost billions less- literally. Much easier to disposition batteries than drag customers through what they have and the gigantic logistics and supply chain impact of a full end item device. Too much bad will now to risk. Will they risk it though- of course they will! ;) :)

Samsung can not afford another hit- presuming this one is the second.

Nothing IMO touches the Note 7, but Samsung appears to have found a way to ruin it.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Maybe. All depends on the findings. Samsung can kiss several more billion goodbye if the hammer falls. Plus lose a lot of customers- even the more loyal ones. Seems prudent to bring back replaceable batteries and accept a retirement curve beyond the desired two years. This issue would have cost billions less- literally. Much easier to disposition batteries than drag customers through what they have and the gigantic logistics and supply chain impact of a full end item device. Too much bad will now to risk. Will they risk it though- of course they will! ;) :)

Samsung can not afford another hit- presuming this one is the second.

Nothing IMO touches the Note 7, but Samsung appears to have found a way to ruin it.

Or they can just retire the entire line of phone, which I suspect is their only option if they can't prove this was a one off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21