10-09-2016 05:58 PM
72 123
tools
    I think if I listened to anything that USA today prints...I'd be seriously dumber...like 50-60 IW points lower.
    By that standard of control, most of the media must use USA today as their source for personal and public intelligence.
    10-08-2016 09:03 AM
    I think they would give a full refund AND pay for any device I want.

Seems only fair. I wish I had not walked out of At&t with 4 new Samsungs in August. I've always had issues with them but really love the Note 7. Oh well.
    Samsung will certainly need to do more than the $25 discount they gave me for sticking with them after they recalled my first Note 7. Otherwise it will be adios for me. A second chance on a near $1000 device is enough.
    10-08-2016 11:10 AM
    Samsung will certainly need to do more than the $25 discount they gave me for sticking with them after they recalled my first Note 7. Otherwise it will be adios for me. A second chance on a near $1000 device is enough.
    Right. My frustration is that I don't have the option of getting anything other than another Samsung phone on Next, because I have another line with a "free s7" on BOGO that would start charging me $23.02 a month. Even if they would allow me to return both phones, the s7 died an early death and at best I'd be doing an insurance claim and returning that one, which I know won't fly.
    Remy Newlander likes this.
    10-08-2016 11:18 AM
    I love my note 7 but, I also have to travel and I don't want the hassle that will come from trying to do that with this phone. I'm probably going to take advantage of the trade in and get something else. I don't know how I'm going to manage without the S-pen I've used for years now but, I really don't see that I have a choice any more.
    10-08-2016 11:30 AM
    Hard to call this a one-off seeing how this phone was just recalled for the very same issue. If the investigation comes back with any sort of problem, that's the end of the Note 7 and a permanent stain on Samsung's reputation. I really hope it's nothing because I've enjoyed the phone thus far.
    10-08-2016 11:46 AM
    I guess I will be getting the V20
    10-08-2016 11:58 AM
    100 % FALSE. He shut the phone off, placed it in his shirt or jacket pocket, felt it get very hot and then when it was already failing dropped it to the ground.
    No there's another article where he says he did drop it. I can't remember which one. It's one of the big papers maybe NY times. Still can't say I really care anymore. Even if the tolerance is too tight the slightest bump could cause it to go up. All this could be just a fraction of a hair when the parts are mated together and just gets nicked causing enough to do this sort of thing. But when u throw Apple into your N7 caught fire and hey look I just went and picked up an iPhone...i think your full of it and caused it.
    10-08-2016 12:01 PM
    I guess I will be getting the V20
    I would love to own a V20, but 5,7 inch seems just a bit too large.
    10-08-2016 12:03 PM
    I would love to own a V20, but 5,7 inch seems just a bit too large.
    N7 same size screen
    10-08-2016 12:08 PM
    Hard to call this a one-off seeing how this phone was just recalled for the very same issue. If the investigation comes back with any sort of problem, that's the end of the Note 7 and a permanent stain on Samsung's reputation. I really hope it's nothing because I've enjoyed the phone thus far.
    Hard to say it will turn into nothing when the owner states it was a replacement device, and when the replacement device could have caused a plane crash if it had caught fire 30 minutes later.

Doesn't matter whether it caught fire because it was damaged or due to user error. A device that's with you 24/7 should not turn into an incendiary device. It's pretty clear that the replacement devices could very well still be dangerous, IMHO.
    10-08-2016 12:18 PM
    I think they and the carriers are doing everything they can to make the public aware of the problem and giving consumers the necessary options. Its now just a matter of people making a choice that they are comfortable with.

If I were Samsung I would re-investigate their root cause and the effectiveness of their corrective actions. Have they really done EVERYTHING within their capability to reduce failure occurrence or reduce the severity of the occurrence? It might mean reducing the mah capacity of their batteries, or perhaps increasing the physical dimensions of the battery for the next generation. Maybe it means implementing removable batteries, or eliminating water resistance??? I don't know for sure. But I think the next 8 series will have to feature some focused / marketed emphasis on product safety... just to try and set the public at ease.
    10-08-2016 12:42 PM
    I think if I listened to anything that USA today prints...I'd be seriously dumber...like 50-60 IW points lower.
    How about android police? More people jumped by on the ban-wagon

Please don't buy a Galaxy Note7, at least for now (returning yours is a good idea, too)
    10-08-2016 03:09 PM
    How about android police? More people jumped by on the ban-wagon

Please don't buy a Galaxy Note7, at least for now (returning yours is a good idea, too)
    Having read the the AP story and stories/opinions elsewhere, it's a rational suggestion.All four major carriers are allowing customers to return/exchange safe Note 7s. Even if there no 2nd recall, why would they devote resources to the Note 7? You think there'll updates for it at this point? They are wasting precious time explaining the situation, while other phone lines are debuting. The store staffs most definitely would rather sell than take several minutes just explaining the situation to customers. Why would anyone want to go through the headache of dealing with the Note 7? Or trying to convince customers it's just one Samsung line when they conflate the issue to all Samsung phones (or even to Android).

Unlike die hard smartphone fans, the carriers are looking out for their best interests. Just like Samsung, they are in the business of making money.
    10-08-2016 03:40 PM
    In a way, I do feel for Samsung because there was no way they could have remedied this problem - which honestly, could've happened to any smartphone manufacturer - in a reasonable timeframe to consumers. I did believe, until this Southwest story, that the Note7 was going to make it after all. I even was getting ready to buy a Note7 myself.

This is no longer a problem of whether Samsung rushed, or did enough, or could do even more. Public opinion has turned against the Note7, and the media (particularly local news outlets, who feed off of these public interest stories) has taken the bait.

Honestly, this whole debacle reminds me of the Ford Explorer-Firestone rollover recalls around 2000. Local media was all over this story. People died (Samsung is lucky nobody has died). Ford pointed fingers at the tire manufacturer and repeatedly defended the design of its Explorer SUV. Public opinion turned against both. People wondered if the treasured Explorer brand was dead. They murmured whether the Explorer's "downfall" would damage Ford's brand. But ultimately, Ford - and the Explorer - bounced back in a few years' time. At the time, the Explorer's brand was tarnished and sales fell. Ford just shifted their efforts to other models, like the Escape, and ended up remaining the SUV king for quite a few years.

The Note's reputation is more or less garbage at this point, but the functionality behind Samsung's halo device is more relevant than ever. Samsung forced Apple and others into the big phone market; and they forced Apple and Android to embrace Samsung's big ideas (e.g., multi-window, styluses for big screen devices, and more). Sure, stigmas now surround the Note but it's hard to say that the Note won't rebound. Especially in a market where Samsung is the leading Android OEM by a country mile. In the meantime, Samsung will shift their efforts to the Galaxy S line over the next year or two.
    10-08-2016 04:13 PM
    N7 same size screen
    Lol....love that The note 7s form factor is so good ...you almost wouldn't know it's a 5.7 inch screen
    10-08-2016 04:37 PM
    Lol....love that The note 7s form factor is so good ...you almost wouldn't know it's a 5.7 inch screen
    Well it actually is not because of useless curves but almost.
    10-08-2016 04:42 PM
    In a way, I do feel for Samsung because there was no way they could have remedied this problem - which honestly, could've happened to any smartphone manufacturer - in a reasonable timeframe to consumers. I did believe, until this Southwest story, that the Note7 was going to make it after all. I even was getting ready to buy a Note7 myself.

This is no longer a problem of whether Samsung rushed, or did enough, or could do even more. Public opinion has turned against the Note7, and the media (particularly local news outlets, who feed off of these public interest stories) has taken the bait.

Honestly, this whole debacle reminds me of the Ford Explorer-Firestone rollover recalls around 2000. Local media was all over this story. People died (Samsung is lucky nobody has died). Ford pointed fingers at the tire manufacturer and repeatedly defended the design of its Explorer SUV. Public opinion turned against both. People wondered if the treasured Explorer brand was dead. They murmured whether the Explorer's "downfall" would damage Ford's brand. But ultimately, Ford - and the Explorer - bounced back in a few years' time. At the time, the Explorer's brand was tarnished and sales fell. Ford just shifted their efforts to other models, like the Escape, and ended up remaining the SUV king for quite a few years.

The Note's reputation is more or less garbage at this point, but the functionality behind Samsung's halo device is more relevant than ever. Samsung forced Apple and others into the big phone market; and they forced Apple and Android to embrace Samsung's big ideas (e.g., multi-window, styluses for big screen devices, and more). Sure, stigmas now surround the Note but it's hard to say that the Note won't rebound. Especially in a market where Samsung is the leading Android OEM by a country mile. In the meantime, Samsung will shift their efforts to the Galaxy S line over the next year or two.
    No sympathy deserved. Poor design. Poor quality control. LI ION batteries are the only dangerous component in the phone. The one part that could kill people got the least attention from qc. They didn't even make all of their own batteries and often screwed up the ones they did. The phone itself should have safety circuits built in to cut off battery if it begins to go bad.
    10-08-2016 04:46 PM
    N7 same size screen
    That's how good the N7 design is. It seems smaller compared to the V10/20 and the Plus.

I can imagine the USAT article being written on a Mac or even an iPad.

I'm typing this on an iPad Pro.... Irony.
    10-08-2016 05:09 PM
    No sympathy deserved. Poor design. Poor quality control. LI ION batteries are the only dangerous component in the phone. The one part that could kill people got the least attention from qc. They didn't even make all of their own batteries and often screwed up the ones they did. The phone itself should have safety circuits built in to cut off battery if it begins to go bad.
    Probably would not help the problem. If the insulation layer is compromised the chemical short will do its thing unabated.

That said, the problem should not be a long timer, but one with a short fuse. If the cell is compromised, there really is no scope for much long term mystery. A bad cell shows itself quickly. If not, it is a good cell.

These things are not dynamic after build and are relatively static in composition.
    10-08-2016 05:37 PM
    Well it actually is not because of useless curves but almost.
    Some of us actually have use for the curves...i know i do...
    10-08-2016 05:40 PM
    Probably would not help the problem. If the insulation layer is compromised the chemical short will do its thing unabated.

That said, the problem should not be a long time bomb, but one with a short fuse. If the cell is compromised, there really is no scope for much long term mystery. A bad cell shows itself quickly. If not, it is a good cell.

These things are not dynamic after build and are relatively static in composition.
    Some li ion batteries have built in membrane to physically separate battery poles in the event of an internal short. Battery is ruined permanently but does not vent with flame. There can also be a fuse of sorts. A wire that melts when battery gets hot. Battery will always get hot before venting. At the very least phone could sound an alarm
    10-08-2016 05:50 PM
    Correct - I directed my sympathy towards Samsung being unable to remedy this problem in any shape or form that would satisfy consumers and the public. Human error does happen, even at this scale. I'm not saying that the Note7 issues are excusable; merely that it's difficult for me to think of a manner in which they could've fixed the problems and satisfied customers while meeting very tough time deadlines.
    10-09-2016 05:58 PM
72 123