USA today says Samsung has three choices in dealing with the Note 7. What do you think?

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Whether this was a normal one in 1 million failure, or if in fact there is still a defect is really of no consequence now. The damage has been done and Samsung cannot unring the bell. The media latched onto it for whatever reason, and it has been turned into a major news story and will not be easily forgotten.

There are too many other horrible things going on in the world for me to worry about. I don't need to add "will my phone catch fire?" to that list.

Mooserman15

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsungs Galaxy S8 and Note 8 better not explode. If they do, then they will lose tens of millions of customers. This may mean the end of Samsung!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it, but if they can't prove that it's a one-off, the Note 7 is done.

When you're being scrutinized much more than usual by the media, firm and decisive answers are imperative.

leozone97

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I hate to say it, but if they can't prove that it's a one-off, the Note 7 is done.

When you're being scrutinized much more than usual by the media, firm and decisive answers are imperative.

Right. And the longer this drags out, the worse it makes Samsung look as a whole. At this point they need to cut their losses before the bad publicity bleeds onto the S8 launch next year.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Right. And the longer this drags out, the worse it makes Samsung look as a whole. At this point they need to cut their losses before the bad publicity bleeds onto the S8 launch next year.
They ought to put this behind them as soon as they can.

They don't want to be reminded of this when the S8 comes around.

Sales shouldn't be their prime concern now. They still need to build trust in their customers and that should be their priority.

duke1231

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what my next phone would be IF there is another recall. I love mobile vs, so I guess I would get the new Pixel XL.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO none of those options are necessary based on a one off incident with unknown causes. Yes it sucks for the reputation, but unless there's something going on that we don't know about, there's nothing wrong with the replacement devices.

boricuacaddy

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Everyone can speculate all they want. Until the official word gets out, I will keep using my current Note 7 as I did my last one. Which I didn't have any issues with. Once the smoke clears (No pun intended) we will be discussing the upcoming Note 8.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The replacement Note 7s have been on the wild for how long...a little more than 3 weeks now? Assuming that of the roughly 2.5 millions that needed to be replaced 90% of them have been replaced already there has to be over 2 millions new Note 7 out there, and in about 3 weeks there has been just 1 incident reported and still hasn't confirmed the cause of it. The original Note was released and just days after it was released there were the first reports already and in a matter of 2-3 weeks there were around 100 incidents reported around the world.

So, I think it's fair to assume that the replacements were double and triple checked before they were released, there is no way a Giant company like Samsung could overlook something like this, not a second time, plus if the CPSC gave the green light for the replacements they must have tested the new ones also, otherwise, they will also be responsible for a new mess.

So if 1 out of over 2,000,000 phones has failed that's by itself totally understandable and that can and happens to every other company right now, not just Samsung, every single device that uses the same type of battery will have the same chances to fail. About 3 incidents were reported this past weekend of new iPhone 7 and 7+ exploding just like the Note 7 and that gets me to the the reason of my post and something I thought since I heard the news about the latest incident on the plane. One of the iPhone 7 plus that exploded just arrived like that to the buyer, it seems that the phone was mishandled in transit and received a direct impact to the phone though the box and immediately caused the same reaction, SO what if the guy on the plane had the phone off as he said but stored in a bag while he was boarding the plane and some other objects just press the phone to the point of causing the smoke and fire afterwards? Something that can happen to any other device out there, right?

For me, even if it wasn't the latter and it was just a failing battery, I highly doubt this will cause any other recall or further issues with the phone, 1 out of 2M phones won't make the CPSC assume any responsibility about allowing the replacement in the first place. Samsung may have deep pockets and did what not too many companies would have done by doing the recall for all the phones instead of just a bunch of them, but I'm sure that they are not that dumb to just do a wash of face and send 2.5M replacements and keep production to sell more units not being sure that the only defect was the battery. Any normal and thinking person would know that a second recall will cost them a lot more than a fortune, they could permanently damage their brand, and again, people talk as if they are part of the Board of Directors and know first hand all the details, and forget that this people are simply amazing businessmen and whatever we may be think now they have already thought about it and made decisions based on that.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Replaceable batteries can still fail. Why do people keep saying removable batteries wouldn't have been a problem? I agree that the recall would have been easier (just recall the batteries) but the bad batteries would have still exploded/caught fire.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Replaceable batteries can still fail. Why do people keep saying removable batteries wouldn't have been a problem? I agree that the recall would have been easier (just recall the batteries) but the bad batteries would have still exploded/caught fire.

I don't think that anyone was saying that removable batteries would not have failed. I've only seen comments that speculated that it would have been easier to do the recall if the batteries had been accessible by users.

grob9642

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I believe that with the SECOND batch of battery problems in Japan Samsung has just got to move on from the Note 7. Kill it and take the time to make sure the Note 8 has no and I mean NO such problems.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I think USA Today is a terrible newspaper. In general, I mean, not about this. I also think that
one or even two such incidents among the replaced phones is probably par for the course, as my
dad used to say. The first batch of what, 2 million? Had forty or fifty problems. Less in hand now, but still quite a few. Where are all the people talking about the Iphone that burned some woman's bedroom, supposedly? Never had a moment's problem with the recalled one and its replacement is just fine, too. Sometimes I hate the internet for how fast and far 'news' travels.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think USA Today is a terrible newspaper. In general, I mean, not about this. I also think that
one or even two such incidents among the replaced phones is probably par for the course, as my
dad used to say. The first batch of what, 2 million? Had forty or fifty problems. Less in hand now, but still quite a few. Where are all the people talking about the Iphone that burned some woman's bedroom, supposedly? Never had a moment's problem with the recalled one and its replacement is just fine, too. Sometimes I hate the internet for how fast and far 'news' travels.

I travel more than I care to and most hotels there is a USA Today in front of my door in the morning. Seriously, I treat it as a doormat and it is gone when I get back later after room cleaning.

Not sure what "USA" stands for in regards to the paper.

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The Note 7 is toast. With questions and now all the carriers giving buyers the opportunity to replace them, there is no turning back. Samsung needs to concentrate on the Note 8 and make sure it's a flawless launch.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I think that the phone that burned on the airplane was a one-off problem child. There are instances like this with all phones including the almighty iPhone. I don't expect it to become a big deal.

Agreed, there were a couple isolated issues with iPhones but as you said 'problem children'. Unless it happens to 25+ people, the news won't pay to much attention to it. in my opinion.

BigwhiteUK

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
It may not be the battery that's at fault! It could be related to the internal workings of the phone. I'm no expert, but could it have something to do with how the battery or current are regulated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781