USA today says Samsung has three choices in dealing with the Note 7. What do you think?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It may not be the battery that's at fault! It could be related to the internal workings of the phone. I'm no expert, but could it have something to do with how the battery or current are regulated?

It is a chemical short due to the layer between the anode and cathode being compromised. Poor QC with their battery production and even worse lot control of what devices the batteries were in and where they were at.

Even cheapo battery makers serial each battery and have lot control. Samsung apparent process with this seems very wrong.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, there were a couple isolated issues with iPhones but as you said 'problem children'. Unless it happens to 25+ people, the news won't pay to much attention to it. in my opinion.

What apparently happened here were some fires and smoke reported in Korea (some discredited) and then shortly after this, Jeep Guy got front page coverage. THAT is the catalyst for the hype. Then Garage Guy, Grandma and Pocket Guy. All apparently discredited, or dubious.

No Jeep Guy, likely no drama and hysteria.

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Not that it is Great... But Lithium POLYMER batteries are much more likely to fail (and burn) than LiFePO4. (RC Drones also use LiPolymer,and for those they sell kevlar bags to charge batteries in to contain any fire, due to bad battery,or overcharging problems !!!) But the polymer ones are the type used in all phones because they have higher watts/gram (Higher energy density). And the FAST charging that is more popular makes overheating more likely.

This is one reason that I normally use slow, 500ma or 1000ma charging for my electronics. IMHO, When charging overnight, or when you won't be watching the phone, fast charging is probably not a great idea for any phone,or tablet.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I think what many defenders of the Note 7 are missing is that perception trumps what you might feel about the device.

That is the world we live in.

You can keep and love the device, which I might still do.

But if perception leads to bans on airlines or inconvenience while flying (I use my phone powered on ALL THE TIME when flying) then I'd rather not deal with it. Sorry but it's reality.

I love my Note 7 and i don't have these issues as most don't. But I fly and I have already been inconvenienced a few times and broke out my laptop and downloaded damn music to it vs using my phone and working on laptop.

To many that might not seem that big a deal. But i don't want the extra steps and change the way I have done things simply because Samsung can't seem to iron out this issue or control the message.

It is what it is.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
He dropped his phone before it got hot! Damage from a fall to a metal walkway is more than enough to set off battery failure.
100 % FALSE. He shut the phone off, placed it in his shirt or jacket pocket, felt it get very hot and then when it was already failing dropped it to the ground.

olga421

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the replacement ,and no friggin issue , actually even the first phone I had there was no issue , so really I don't know ...also I own a Lexus ,and a Toyota so no issues there also just was tempted to include that as well lol cheers.....also I hope nougat comes to the n7

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
100 % FALSE. He shut the phone off, placed it in his shirt or jacket pocket, felt it get very hot and then when it was already failing dropped it to the ground.

Even if he dropped the phone, which the news doesn't indicate, if the note 7 can't handle a drop without going kaboom, that's not good news either. Dropped my m8 and 6s many times with no issues. Silly to use that as an excuse.

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I think they would give a full refund AND pay for any device I want.

Seems only fair. I wish I had not walked out of At&t with 4 new Samsungs in August. I've always had issues with them but really love the Note 7. Oh well.

Samsung will certainly need to do more than the $25 discount they gave me for sticking with them after they recalled my first Note 7. Otherwise it will be adios for me. A second chance on a near $1000 device is enough.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung will certainly need to do more than the $25 discount they gave me for sticking with them after they recalled my first Note 7. Otherwise it will be adios for me. A second chance on a near $1000 device is enough.

Right. My frustration is that I don't have the option of getting anything other than another Samsung phone on Next, because I have another line with a "free s7" on BOGO that would start charging me $23.02 a month. Even if they would allow me to return both phones, the s7 died an early death and at best I'd be doing an insurance claim and returning that one, which I know won't fly.

seajypsy

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I love my note 7 but, I also have to travel and I don't want the hassle that will come from trying to do that with this phone. I'm probably going to take advantage of the trade in and get something else. I don't know how I'm going to manage without the S-pen I've used for years now but, I really don't see that I have a choice any more.

Treonday

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hard to call this a one-off seeing how this phone was just recalled for the very same issue. If the investigation comes back with any sort of problem, that's the end of the Note 7 and a permanent stain on Samsung's reputation. I really hope it's nothing because I've enjoyed the phone thus far.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
No there's another article where he says he did drop it. I can't remember which one. It's one of the big papers maybe NY times. Still can't say I really care anymore. Even if the tolerance is too tight the slightest bump could cause it to go up. All this could be just a fraction of a hair when the parts are mated together and just gets nicked causing enough to do this sort of thing. But when u throw Apple into your N7 caught fire and hey look I just went and picked up an iPhone...i think your full of it and caused it.

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hard to call this a one-off seeing how this phone was just recalled for the very same issue. If the investigation comes back with any sort of problem, that's the end of the Note 7 and a permanent stain on Samsung's reputation. I really hope it's nothing because I've enjoyed the phone thus far.

Hard to say it will turn into nothing when the owner states it was a replacement device, and when the replacement device could have caused a plane crash if it had caught fire 30 minutes later.

Doesn't matter whether it caught fire because it was damaged or due to user error. A device that's with you 24/7 should not turn into an incendiary device. It's pretty clear that the replacement devices could very well still be dangerous, IMHO.