10-09-2016 05:58 PM
72 123
tools
    I still love my Note 7. Not surprised though that it is still embroiled in controversy.

Samsung now faces three tough choices with its Galaxy Note 7
    10-06-2016 05:18 PM
    I think that the phone that burned on the airplane was a one-off problem child. There are instances like this with all phones including the almighty iPhone. I don't expect it to become a big deal.
    10-06-2016 05:27 PM
    Until root cause analysis is completed it's hard to say, but Samsung is on a very short rope at this point. If it was a post-recall device, they will have to have a very good explanation as to why this one device was somehow special in ways that others are not. They don't just have to convince us, they have to convince the FAA to make this phone viable.
    rusty502 likes this.
    10-06-2016 05:29 PM
    I think that the phone that burned on the airplane was a one-off problem child. There are instances like this with all phones including the almighty iPhone. I don't expect it to become a big deal.
    It's already quite a big deal
    rusty502, jjb415, ajb1965 and 4 others like this.
    10-06-2016 06:12 PM
    It's already quite a big deal
    How so? I would agree it was a big deal to the guy and the airline and the other passengers, but it hasn't had any effect on the rest of us.
    10-06-2016 06:14 PM
    Yep. Another media source that shows no history of the two iPhone plane fire events. USA today..... A paper at my hotel room doors that I use as a door mat.
    gregg6942 likes this.
    10-06-2016 06:15 PM
    How so?
    I haven't owned a Note 7 since the recall. 4 different people walked up to me to tell me about the event. If it truly is one of the "safe" ones it calls into question if any ever were or ever will be safe. The feds are not in the mood for another "this is just a fluke and he used a cheap charger and user error and Apple planned it" excuses to prevent official and complete recall.
    10-06-2016 06:18 PM
    As mentioned above, iPhones have caught fire recently also. It is the inherent unstable nature of the lithium-ion cell batteries. Every so often one has a catastrophic failure. The high instance of battery failures in the original batch is what caused the recall. This ONE phone out of let's just say 100,000 is probably within the normal occurrence rate. And Samsung said they had shipped 500,000 replacement devices to the US, so the odds are even better.
    dadsterflip and pinkvikchick like this.
    10-06-2016 06:23 PM
    1 out of 100,00 within normal rate??

More like 1 out of 10 MILLION.

" A one-in-200,000 failure triggered the recall of almost six million lithium-ion batteries in 2006. Sony, the manufacturer of these cells, said that on rare occasions microscopic metal particles may come into contact with other parts of the battery cell, leading to a short circuit than can cause venting with flame."

Safety of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

As mentioned above, iPhones have caught fire recently also. It is the inherent unstable nature of the lithium-ion cell batteries. Every so often one has a catastrophic failure. The high instance of battery failures in the original batch is what caused the recall. This ONE phone out of let's just say 100,000 is probably within the normal occurrence rate. And Samsung said they had shipped 500,000 replacement devices to the US, so the odds are even better.
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    10-06-2016 06:39 PM
    I was just making my point using far worse odds than the actual case.
    10-06-2016 06:53 PM
    If this phone that caught fire is in fact a post recall replacement Note 7, the Note 7 model will be recalled and the 7 will be put to rest. I'm waiting on a Note 8 and one thing is very certain...

I will as usual wait till the bugs get worked out of the new model as I NEVER get tempted into buying a pre release when the company dangles free goodies before me! Samsung came up with such a fine phone in the Note 7. Unfortunately, either their design or QC has let them down.

My current Note 5 will then be my backup Verizon phone.
    10-06-2016 07:04 PM
    For folks really concerned, and pending the outcome of the investigation, I think that they should allow an voluntary exchange and/or refund again, if all is OK.

It'll allow peace of mind for many folks, especially with the holidays around the corner and folks traveling.

I'm glad the CPSC is involved from the start with this. It means we'll likely not have to wait 2 weeks to find out what our options are next. Chances are everything is OK and we don't need to worry. But just in case, we'll know sooner than later if we need to take action.
    10-06-2016 07:16 PM
    How could everything be ok? New safe version isn't. I don't want to be afraid to leave a room with phone charging nor be denied entry someplace without turning off my phone.
    10-06-2016 07:38 PM
    I think they would give a full refund AND pay for any device I want.

Seems only fair. I wish I had not walked out of At&t with 4 new Samsungs in August. I've always had issues with them but really love the Note 7. Oh well.
    10-06-2016 07:50 PM
    I had 5 people in my office if I had seen the story and wow it was a safe one like you have
    10-06-2016 09:02 PM
    I think is one off freak accident that blew out of proportion
    10-06-2016 09:06 PM
    I agree, but it doesn't matter anymore.
    jordans0nly likes this.
    10-06-2016 09:55 PM
    Now there! Hysteria and hyperbole must go unabated. The media and the self righteous have decreed! Jump to conclusions and let slip the Jeep Guy Effect!
    tjunkie and dadsterflip like this.
    10-06-2016 09:59 PM
    I agree, but it doesn't matter anymore.
    Maybe. All depends on the findings. Samsung can kiss several more billion goodbye if the hammer falls. Plus lose a lot of customers- even the more loyal ones. Seems prudent to bring back replaceable batteries and accept a retirement curve beyond the desired two years. This issue would have cost billions less- literally. Much easier to disposition batteries than drag customers through what they have and the gigantic logistics and supply chain impact of a full end item device. Too much bad will now to risk. Will they risk it though- of course they will!

Samsung can not afford another hit- presuming this one is the second.

Nothing IMO touches the Note 7, but Samsung appears to have found a way to ruin it.
    10-06-2016 10:05 PM
    Maybe. All depends on the findings. Samsung can kiss several more billion goodbye if the hammer falls. Plus lose a lot of customers- even the more loyal ones. Seems prudent to bring back replaceable batteries and accept a retirement curve beyond the desired two years. This issue would have cost billions less- literally. Much easier to disposition batteries than drag customers through what they have and the gigantic logistics and supply chain impact of a full end item device. Too much bad will now to risk. Will they risk it though- of course they will!

Samsung can not afford another hit- presuming this one is the second.

Nothing IMO touches the Note 7, but Samsung appears to have found a way to ruin it.
    Or they can just retire the entire line of phone, which I suspect is their only option if they can't prove this was a one off.
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
    10-06-2016 10:33 PM
    Whether this was a normal one in 1 million failure, or if in fact there is still a defect is really of no consequence now. The damage has been done and Samsung cannot unring the bell. The media latched onto it for whatever reason, and it has been turned into a major news story and will not be easily forgotten.

There are too many other horrible things going on in the world for me to worry about. I don't need to add "will my phone catch fire?" to that list.
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
    10-06-2016 11:10 PM
    I guess I should of made a bigger deal when two LG G4s caught fire in my pocket within weeks of one another.
    Amele likes this.
    10-06-2016 11:38 PM
    Samsungs Galaxy S8 and Note 8 better not explode. If they do, then they will lose tens of millions of customers. This may mean the end of Samsung!
    10-07-2016 12:30 AM
    I hate to say it, but if they can't prove that it's a one-off, the Note 7 is done.

When you're being scrutinized much more than usual by the media, firm and decisive answers are imperative.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-07-2016 02:26 AM
    I hate to say it, but if they can't prove that it's a one-off, the Note 7 is done.

When you're being scrutinized much more than usual by the media, firm and decisive answers are imperative.
    Right. And the longer this drags out, the worse it makes Samsung look as a whole. At this point they need to cut their losses before the bad publicity bleeds onto the S8 launch next year.
    10-07-2016 02:30 AM
72 123