Is anybody else annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco?

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I completely understand that there is a good amount of consumers that will be hesitant about making the Note 7 as their new mobile phone purchase for the upcoming holiday season. Yes, 2.5 million units were recalled globally by Samsung because those units were manufactured between a certain time frame. Samsung took measures by flagging all of those units as being "affected." If I recall correctly, in the United States alone, there were roughly 50 reported cases of the faulty Note 7s causing property damage as well as personal injury. So let's just say that Samsung received 2,500 reported cases internationally which would be around 0.001% of the total devices. I know that there is the possibility that more Note 7s could have exploded but we're never reported, and that is why I rounded up quite generously. In my opinion, when you really think about it, that is a very small percentage. I actually had two Note 7s prior to exchanging it for the revised safe version that I have now. I would say that I'm a power user, so I'm literally on my phone ALL THE TIME. And I was never presented with over heating nor did I experience any lag or sluggishness. The media continues to relentlessly put Samsung and Note 7 in the spotlight as if the devices are exploding left and right daily. Many sources are even putting Samsung up on a cross by saying that this dilemma has and will forever tarnish the South Korean tech giants image.

Samsung Electronics produces a wide array of consumer products. I can't even begin to fathom a number of how many mobile phones they produce annually, ranging from their high end flagship Galaxy S and Note lineup to their extremely low end, non Android lineup. And now imagine adding in all of the other products they manufacture and sell globally. I will admit that I am quite bias towards Samsung products, but the situation has been completely blown out of proportion. Yes, Samsung will be haunted by this recall. And yes, Samsung has lost quite a bit of money too. But they aren't going anywhere. They will continue to move forward regardless of whatever happens to the Note 7 at this point and time. Everyone will soon forget about this when the S8, and Note 8 take the stage when 2017 rolls around. Heck, I will even go the route of saying that Samsung will definitely make everyone forget this hiccup when they release their folding display galaxy device in the near future.

End rant.

I also thought I would throw this out there as some food for thought. Does anybody remember when Toyota was under fire because of the infamous unintended acceleration recall? This affected several of their model lines that added up to around 10 million vehicles in total. Which resulted in property damage and personal injuries even including deaths. Toyota may have been scrutinized but they're still at the top of automobile manufacturers.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Im annoyed at the exploding claims. No Note 7 is exploding. Smoking? Yes. Catching fire? Yes. But not exploding. I'm not overly concerned about it. All of my note 7s (I've had 4) has been great but the first one which would deplete completely at 40%. So I probably had a bad battery the first time. I keep an eye out on it, but again not overly concerned. Besides what other device would give me coral blue color.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
952c2b6d5e42fab70ba305828a74194d.gif

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is anybody else annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco?

Actually I'm anticipating samsung to give their best phone ever with the Note 8...this fiasco will do us good because samsung will definitely throw everything but the kitchen sink in next year's note to overcome this year's drama....

I will always upgrade every year to the next note and love my phone regardless of this situation. The note 7 is my favorite device ever....

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
It's a PR fiasco, heads will roll, money will be lost.... At the end of the day - that's it.

In two years everyone will be focused on the new hotness - Samsung or otherwise. If nothing else, it's a great time for competitors to cash in on Samsung's failed gamble.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone asked the question if the phone that caught fire on the plane had been dropped or damaged prior to the incident? It really is odd that the ONE report happened on a plane. Really, really odd.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
As long as there is a Galaxy Note, I'm positive that I will continue to upgrade to each new model. Ive been a long time user of Fountain Pens and I'm addicted to writing in cursive. So not only do I write everyday on paper, I also write digitally everyday with the S-Pen. I feel like you could do so much more than were currently capable of doing. I still believe that the Note 7 is currently the phone of year despite the controversial mumbo-jumbo. I guess you could say that I have some what of a persnickety attitude when it comes to Samsung, but not as bad as the Apple crowd.(or maybe I am.)

olga421

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Has this happened anywhere else ?? Or is it just in the USA ?? Note 7 catching fire that is ??.....because I have not heard or read anywhere else that this happening , so I don't know what's going on here the Note 7 is a great phone period

Last edited by a moderator:

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I was never concerned. People took something that was negligible and turned it into the next smoking gun.

How exactly is the Note "the smoking gun" for the Note? Do you mean the Note is the smoking gun for people saying Samsung makes trash phones? I'm not saying they do I'm just asking.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is anybody else annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco?

Has this happened anywhere else ?? Or is it just in the USA ?? Note 7 catching fire that is ??.....because I have not heard or read anywhere else that this happening , so I don't know what's going on here the Note 7 is a great phone period
There has been reports of units catching fire in other countries. Just the other day, a Chinese owner stated that his phone "exploded" while charging on top of his Macbook, which was also damaged. But I believe he didn't want to surrender his Note 7 to Samsung so they could investigate what caused it. He said that he believes Samsung would deny that it was the battery that ruptured. And that's because Samsung has determined on several other reported cases that it was caused by an external heat source outside of the battery. I honestly wouldnt be surprised that some people would actually go out of their way and shoot their phone with a heat gun so they can either get free stuff or get their 15 minutes of fame by being on the news.

Last edited by a moderator:

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Now that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've seen in a long time. Who cares that they can do this under controlled conditions...just stupid.

What I want to highlight is they posted pics of a Note 7 catching fire under pressure, making people thinking Note 7 is indeed a highly dangerous device. Many people will simply read the headlines, see the pics and assumed only Note 7 is behaving this way.

And then somewhere in the article, they put this "However, lab admits that the same results would probably be seen on any handset from any manufacturer during such a test".

This is totally irresponsible posting and the purpose is simply to put down Note 7 in whatever way they could.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
What I want to highlight is they posted pics of a Note 7 catching fire under pressure, making people thinking Note 7 is indeed a highly dangerous device. Many people will simply read the headlines, see the pics and assumed only Note 7 is behaving this way.

And then somewhere in the article, they put this "However, lab admits that the same results would probably be seen on any handset from any manufacturer during such a test".

This is totally irresponsible posting and the purpose is simply to put down Note 7 in whatever way they could.
Yup the way i see it some are trying to sabotage the Note 7, i say screw them, if you don't like Samsung they should just move on and get the crappie iPhone 7 or the ugly pixel google phone and leave us alone.

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
There's a reason why these types of batteries and mobile phone in general should be recycled. Any type of undue pressure will cause the battery to rupture and burst in flames or "explode". It's the flavor of the moment. It just goes to show you how uninformed the general public is on today's tech. It's not Duracell AA batteries folks.

jeslevine

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung screwed up. It is not normal for a phone to heat up hot enough to cause a fire.

People have allegedly been burned by this phone being in their pocket. Fires could have been started by this flaw, and yes it was a flaw.

I understand the OP is upset because Samsung is being targeted, but this is not only a safety issue, but people put down a good chunk of change and deserve better. Obviously, Samsung recognizes this problem.

Samsung is NOT an insignificant player in mobile phones, with the volume of phones sold. The OP may forget that when Apple had issues, they were heavily criticized. Remember apple's major screw up for their mapping software? What took them quite some time to marginally address, Google quickly put out a replacement mapping APP. They also were trash pretty good when the iphone 6+ was bending in people's pockets while the Androids held up. Then there was the situation when the antenna location messed up calls unless the phone was held in a particular way.

This is not unreasonable publicity, and Samsung has accepted the responsibility.

What is laughable is how the media jumps in line with the Apple marketing team to sell the latest iphone as though it is some kind of "technology marvel", while competitors have had those features out for years.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
We can all discuss our opinions regarding the matter but the button line is that there have been issues. Personally, I think Samsung did a good job at managing the situation but there is no assurance that we're in the clear. I'm tired of the media coverage like it'd some massive widespread issue.