Is anybody else annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What I want to highlight is they posted pics of a Note 7 catching fire under pressure, making people thinking Note 7 is indeed a highly dangerous device. Many people will simply read the headlines, see the pics and assumed only Note 7 is behaving this way.

And then somewhere in the article, they put this "However, lab admits that the same results would probably be seen on any handset from any manufacturer during such a test".

This is totally irresponsible posting and the purpose is simply to put down Note 7 in whatever way they could.
That's why people need to be informed about the potential risks about lithium batteries.

My parents aren't exactly the brightest in tech, and the whole Note 7 fiasco has them worried because I use one, but I did give them a short lecture on lithium batteries and how volatile they actually are, along with the safeties packed into their devices to ensure that they are safe.

Granted, they're still worried, but they're better informed now.

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I can't figure out, the picture shows the phone on the floor of an aircraft. The screen is messed up, but the housing looks fine. No melting or anything. The carpet of the plane looks fine. No scorch marks. But another gentleman went back onto the plane and said the phone had burnt through the carpet down to the subfloor. If it had burn through the carpet, wouldn't there be damage to the phone housing? Why doesn't the photo show any of this?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am a little annoyed by it, merely because it may taint Samsung to a lot of people; and I do not believe that is fair. Did Samsung produce (without meaning to, of course) faulty device models? Absolutely. But they are pulling out all the stops trying to make up for it... And it has proven to be a very difficult process for them. Some people will conveniently forget the Apple situation of years ago and will argue that Samsung is inferior.

Samsung is still a mobile giant, though, and I am sure they will have comeuppance from this. This may be a blip on their radar but they're still on top, IMO.

da3lynx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I am slightly annoyed. There are reports of other phones exploding in the news and it seems like the only people care about is the note 7.

Last edited:

theshaz

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I have the Note 7 and love it. I think Sammy did as good of a job with the recall as you can expect.

Tmobile gave me zero hassles. Made the order, replacement showed up, got the text, went to store swapped out.

As for the recent airline incident. I will wait for further information. I have a very strong distrust in our media, they are driven to follow a narrative and truth & objectivity be damned.

The technology that all modern smart phones use is called Lithium Ion. Look it up. They have inherent safety risks.

Google [Name a smartphone] and fire. And you will see every make & model has had failures. It just happened Samsung saw there was a much higher than normal fare rate on the Note 7 and issued the recall.

IMHO, the biggest cause of random Li-Ion battery failures is user related. Like putting your phone in your back pocket, you have a larger than normal posterior or tight pants and that force causes the phone to flex, and that in turn causes the battery to flex and the path to failure is before you. Li-Ion batteries are also very sensitive to temperature ranges. They all get warm when charging or heavy discharge, don't amplify it by placing the device on a very warm or hot surface.

I think there are forces that have it out for Samsung. To their credit Sammy is ruling the roost on Android smartphones. Would you put it past their competitors to pay for agenda journalism for their own benefit?

I will not drag politics into this, but I will say, in political forums you can easily spot the "Paid spammer". And as much as I like Android Central I have seen many posts about the Note 7 on this forum that sets off the alarms to me that the same kind of agenda driven spamming is happening here.

I guess I need a new bumper sticker: YOU CAN HAVE MY NOTE 7 WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD & BURNT FINGERS

(See! I can still make jokes about the situation. But I'm keeping my N7)

Jean Sagarese

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
what is annoying is not how Samsung has handled it but how if you show the AT&T personnel the statement that was posted on the front of Android Central and they say we know nothing about a refund or different phone so we cannot help you and wow you do know you are past your 14 day return period. The dude read the article twice and still said he couldn't help me. If you issue a statement then get all your ducks and chicks in a row so there are no damn screw ups

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is anybody else annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco?

Another issue confusing me. The man said it was in his pocket and it started pouring out smoke. Never did he say it caught on fire. Now every article I read says the phone caught on fire or exploded.

theshaz

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
what is annoying is not how Samsung has handled it but how if you show the AT&T personnel the statement that was posted on the front of Android Central and they say we know nothing about a refund or different phone so we cannot help you and wow you do know you are past your 14 day return period. The dude read the article twice and still said he couldn't help me. If you issue a statement then get all your ducks and chicks in a row so there are no damn screw ups

Sorry to hear about the replacement issues. I had zero hassles with Tmoble. I knew just going to the store on the 1st weekend of the replacements was not smart. So I called Tmo and they confirmed & shipped it to a store of my choosing and sent a text telling me it arrived. Went and swapped out.

I think some of the carriers are pulling back because of the handful of people that ruin it for the rest of us by screaming & yelling at the representative in the store or on the phone.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Another issue confusing me. The man said it was in his pocket and it started pouring out smoke. Never did he say it caught on fire. Now every article I read says the phone caught on fire or exploded.

It is called media and poster "amplification" ;)

Unless iPhone and then it is media suppression ;)

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not "annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco." This is not the first time a defective product was recalled; and it probably won't be the last.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I know stuff happens but this has me pretty bummed and irritated at samsung. After the last recall experience, much of the bad experience was due to Best Buy, but in the end Samsung has to answer for it.

I was so relieved the day I recieved my replacement and very happy to put all the BS behind me. Now here we go again a short time later. I think i am jumping ship. I hope Samsung offers a deal for us prior N7 owners when the N8 is released or I may just abandon Samsung all together. And no a memory card with N8 won't reel me back in. A little bitter I am I suppose, I just don't see this phone getting updates and such now. Too bad it was a great phone, I am still baffled how this went south so quick but cant blame the carriers frustration, they just want this over with too.

From day one I always wondered about all the wasted time carrier employees had to apply to the N7 disaster and how they would be (if at all) compensated. They could have been dealing with everyday sales and reliable phone issues instead of wasting resources on the N7 disaster.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Im annoyed at the exploding claims. No Note 7 is exploding. Smoking? Yes. Catching fire? Yes. But not exploding. I'm not overly concerned about it. All of my note 7s (I've had 4) has been great but the first one which would deplete completely at 40%. So I probably had a bad battery the first time. I keep an eye out on it, but again not overly concerned. Besides what other device would give me coral blue color.

How exactly would the battery catch fire or smoke without becoming ruptured by pressure, which is the very definition of explosion? The amount of heat it would take to spontaneously combust would have boiled the electrolyte long before that happened, and the expansion would have ruptured the battery case. If the electrolyte caught fire from contact with an exposed electrical part, it was outside of a ruptured battery case.

Explosion sounds scary, but that's exactly what is happening. Not every explosion looks like something from a Die Hard movie :) We're just programmed to think big and loud when we hear the word explosion.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I am slightly annoyed. There are reports of other phones exploding in the news and it seems like the only people care about is the note 7.

Because people are afraid. It's silly (unless there is an issue with the replacements and i dont think there is) but it is what it is. People don't understand what is happening and don't feel a need to find out when they can just not touch anything Samsung to avoid it. When Samsung shows off the next best shiny thing ever, they'll forget.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

The Louisville International Airport dept. of safety (yes, that's a mouthful) said it caught fire and burned through the carpet. We weren't there, so we can only know what the firemen and cops say happened and look at the pictures of Note 7 shaped holes burned in carpet :)

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen anything on tv evening news about iphones catching on fire.
But they don't hesitate if it's samsung note 7.

One evening news, was talking about the note 7 on plane smoking. The photo was not a note 7 they were showing, guess they use any photo they have. Lol. It was samsung though .

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I think most of you know that I have been DEFENDING Samsung from Day 1 and telling everyone to RELAX and how much I LOVE this device. My answer to the OP's question now is YES - if Samsung or AT&T offer a Full Refund, I'm OUT! I think it's finally time to abandon this slowly sinking ship and wait for the Google Pixel phone to arrive - I've read the reviews and like what I've read and I think that's my next phone. But ONLY if Samsung does a FULL REFUND - I don't want any other Samsung device! The Note 7 was my Baby and I don't want to go backwards and settle for my Note 5 - I already did that for 2 weeks! We will see I guess!

TomOfTx

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I filter out most of the ignorance often reported by the media. They are what is annoying, not Samsung.

I am a big fan of Samsung products. In the past few months I have ventured into buying some Samsung appliances for my home as well. My kids absolutely love the Samsung Family Hub refrigerator!

If the Note 7 ends up being a bust, no big deal. I will still buy Samsung products in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae