Is anybody else annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco?

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is anybody else annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco?

The Louisville International Airport dept. of safety (yes, that's a mouthful) said it caught fire and burned through the carpet. We weren't there, so we can only know what the firemen and cops say happened and look at the pictures of Note 7 shaped holes burned in carpet :)
Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't seen any pictures of this incident. The Verge article shows a Samsung phone on the floor of the plane. No burn hole in the carpet. Also, the only one saying it burned through the carpet is his colleague. "Green's colleague went back onto the plane to retrieve some personal belongings and said that the phone had burned through the carpet and scorched the subfloor of the plane." I'm not saying something didn't happen. And you are correct, I wasn't there. It just seems things aren't matching up for me.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen anything on tv evening news about iphones catching on fire.
But they don't hesitate if it's samsung note 7.

One evening news, was talking about the note 7 on plane smoking. The photo was not a note 7 they were showing, guess they use any photo they have. Lol. It was samsung though .
I really don't want to go out on this limb but I'm going to just to make a "US Media" point - the iPhone (Apple in general) is probably a Democrat! :)

NOTE: Again people, this aimed at the American Media, not my Democrat friends on here!!!!!

da3lynx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Because people are afraid. It's silly (unless there is an issue with the replacements and i dont think there is) but it is what it is. People don't understand what is happening and don't feel a need to find out when they can just not touch anything Samsung to avoid it. When Samsung shows off the next best shiny thing ever, they'll forget.

I can understand the fear, but so many do not realize that it's the lithium ion battery that is the real culprit. They can avoid Samsung all they want, doesn't mean that their iphone or other android phone isn't going to have the same problem down the line.

I would love to see a safe alternative to these batteries, unfortunately I don't know what that would be.

da3lynx

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen anything on tv evening news about iphones catching on fire.
But they don't hesitate if it's samsung note 7.

There are plenty of reports on the web of recent iPhones exploding, it's really surprising that basically no one cares unless there's a Samsung name on it. Hell, even those articles about iPhones exploding have to mention the note 7, yet it's never the other way around. 🤔

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey I'm keeping mine this time! I dare you to break into my house! I'll just use my new and improved exploding N7 to take care of the threat!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is anybody else annoyed by the "exploding" note 7 fiasco?

Well, whatever the case, my litmus will be the decision on the Note 7. If recall is voluntary and the device will be supported with updates- keeping it.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
How exactly is the Note "the smoking gun" for the Note? Do you mean the Note is the smoking gun for people saying Samsung makes trash phones? I'm not saying they do I'm just asking.

Let me help you out. 35 notes are reported to have exploded in the WORLD. At the time, 2.5 million had been sold. If you do the math: 35/2,500,000.00= .000014x100= .0014%. And the 35 notes? Lol that's not confirmed. .014% is the chance you are dealing with lol.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Let me help you out. 35 notes are reported to have exploded in the WORLD. At the time, 2.5 million had been sold. If you do the math: 35/2,500,000.00= .000014x100= .0014%. And the 35 notes? Lol that's not confirmed. .014% is the chance you are dealing with lol.
Trust me. No one will listen. They all rather complain and make speculation and irritate them self about the situation. Then say going to buy an iPhone but linger around here. Rather have them exchange it. Move on and complain about their new phone on their new thread.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

Any who what's a bad number for phones catching fire? How many people have to be hurt or what exactly is the property damage have to be before it becomes an issue?

One thing you forgot in your wonderful equation "time". How fast did those 35 issues (I thought the real number was in the 60s) happen? Add that into your equation over the two years? Let's see 35 phones burn up every 3 weeks / 52 weeks a year is 17 * 2 = 1,213 phones or people if we assume no property damage. So you find it funny that at a minimum 1,213 people could be hurt by phones over 2 years? How much is 1 life worth? Now you can...lol

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Any who what's a bad number for phones catching fire? How many people have to be hurt or what exactly is the property damage have to be before it becomes an issue?

One thing you forgot in your wonderful equation "time". How fast did those 35 issues (I thought the real number was in the 60s) happen? Add that into your equation over the two years? Let's see 35 phones burn up every 3 weeks / 52 weeks a year is 17 * 2 = 1,213 phones or people if we assume no property damage. So you find it funny that at a minimum 1,213 people could be hurt by phones over 2 years? How much is 1 life worth? Now you can...lol

You are so right. The CPSC reported/confirmed 92 cases in the US alone when they insisted Samsung institute an official recall. There were cases reported after their statement. Samsung itself theorized that there could potentially be 1000+ bad batteries that could explode/catch fire. They couldn't take a chance that someone would eventually be seriously hurt or even die. They were stupid enough to wait to issue an official recall. They would have been brain dead to not have a recall. Given the potential for even more disaster, they should be prepared to kill the Note 7.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm just curious - you know that both that 35 number and the 2.5 million number are false. Why, weeks later, are you still repeating them?

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
94253472b74d42516a15a867d56fdadf.gif

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
To the OP, my sentiment exactly.

I guess I might just be a Samsung devotee of sorts. I had a good experience with the Galaxy S5, despite what Verizon had done to it, and it's generally easy to find their products (and most importantly, high-quality accessories for their products), so I wanted to try a Note. So much I was annoyed w/the 2015 Samsung line that I skipped them altogether. With no microSD card slot, the Note 5 was a non-starter, and Note 4s were unavailable.

I'm really annoyed by this. In general, the fearmongering done in the press, tech-centric and otherwise, the hasty actions of U.S. Carriers (who have way too much control over the software and updating of said software of phones), Samsung's shoddy handling of the rollout of the product in general... has taken what should have been a layup into an absolute disaster. I hold out hope for a proper resolution of this.

If I were an AT&T customer I would have ditched them for T-Mobile at this point.

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
But it looks like Verizon has also stopped Note 7 sales. And it wouldn't surprise me if all the carriers abandon the Note 7. In fact, they would be crazy not to as soon as possible. The first official recall was a nightmare for them as it took away from their prime objective: selling phones and plans and making money. This week's incidents are more than enough given what they just went through with the recall. And like others have said, it wouldn't surprise me that there are several more fires/explosions that we don't know about given that the first incident in Kentucky didn't become known till 4 days later and after the 2nd incident in the same state while on a plane.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer