10-10-2016 01:00 PM
86 1234
tools
    I doubt that Samsung won't give it software support.

It'll be a slap in the face for those who own one
    Samsung will, but if a carrier is no longer selling the phone, they don't have much incentive to prioritize their software bloat. Say At&t stops selling as rumored, I think you have seen the last update minus security updates, which may or may not still come.
    10-08-2016 12:41 AM
    It's so sad to see a phone like the note 7 suffer like this. I really wonder what Samsung intends on doing. How can they salvage the note 7 at this point? And I really wanted this phone. Now I just don't trust it.
    GoldLeader likes this.
    10-08-2016 12:41 AM
    Samsung will, but if a carrier is no longer selling the phone, they don't have much incentive to prioritize their software bloat. Say At&t stops selling as rumored, I think you have seen the last update minus security updates, which may or may not still come.
    Yeah, the final say is always on the carriers.

I use a global unlocked variant, so Samsung still ought to support their own devices, but the carriers may be wishy-washy on that.

It's so sad to see a phone like the note 7 suffer like this. I really wonder what Samsung intends on doing. How can they salvage the note 7 at this point? And I really wanted this phone. Now I just don't trust it.
    They'd probably relegate the Note 7 as a pretty niche device and move the S7 up as their main flagship offering for the entire year, focusing their marketing efforts on the S7 and less-so on the Note 7.

That's short of pulling the plug on the device entirely, which I still don't think is a proper solution as it leads to a new set of problems and creates an entirely different negative stigma of Samsung not being confident in their own products.
    E Padilla likes this.
    10-08-2016 12:43 AM
    Wouldn't the updates have to go through the carriers, whom may abonded the N7? Waste of time for them to support a device for a handful of N7 owners, it would be treated as a dated device in my opinion, no money in it for them as is. These carriers have a ton of time in this device as is.
    10-08-2016 12:44 AM
    Wouldn't the updates have to go through the carriers, whom may abonded the N7? Waste of time for them to support a device for a handful of N7 owners, it would be treated as a dated device in my opinion, no money in it for them as is. These carriers have a ton of time in this device as is.
    That depends on the carrier and the variant.

They may still support them, though perhaps they won't prioritize them as much.
    10-08-2016 12:49 AM
    negative stigma of Samsung not being confident in their own products
    This is not about "losing face". It's a safety issue. It has nothing to do with Samsung not being confident about their products.
    10-08-2016 03:07 AM
    This is not about "losing face". It's a safety issue. It has nothing to do with Samsung not being confident about their products.
    I know that. I'm just sharing my thoughts on what repercussions they could have in the future over their actions.
    10-08-2016 03:18 AM
    I don't think they can salvage it at this point. Because of the recall, anything that happens will make the spotlight that much brighter, and the sensationalism of the media certainly doesn't help. I love the phone and I am watching to see what the CPSC and Samsung do next before making any decisons. This is the first device that has checked all of the boxes for me in what I need in a smartphone. I hate to have to abandon it, but that may be the sad reality in the coming days if the carriers pull the plug. I'd hate to think what kind of mess it will be with everyone trying to return their phones all at the same time.
    Issemann and GoldLeader like this.
    10-08-2016 05:12 AM
    Another thing is if carrier won't carry the phones say I break my screen and want a replacement through their insurance...Then what?...So many things to consider if they decide to axe this device ....
    Jona005 likes this.
    10-08-2016 09:36 AM
    Yes, I tend to agree.
    For economically standpoint, no chance N7 with update + no phone value if you plan to sell.
    10-08-2016 11:14 AM
    I'll be keeping my Note 7 considering its the best device out right now from my experience but if Samsung stops software updates for the device then I may have to reconsider. It would be a big slap in the face if I kept the phone and they didn't continue to support it. But there is no other phone right now that interests me. I have gotten REALLY attached to the S Pen considering I draw a lot in One Note. I already have a fully paid off Note 5 so downgrading is off the table and would be pretty much pointless lol.
    I feel your pain. But without updates our N7s are almost dead. Damn I hate moving to another device, but the N5 is outdated. Samsung is really driving me to look closely at the (dread) IPhone plus, and the new Pixel device.
    E Padilla likes this.
    10-08-2016 11:24 AM
    Can't say it enough:

This is a safety issue.

Even if it's only one in a million, small comfort if it happens on a plane you're flying in.
    monsieurms and 21stNow like this.
    10-08-2016 11:26 AM
    Does this mean the carrier's won't release software updates for the note 7....That could make me jump ship :/
    That is my only concern. I couldn't care less whether anyone else can buy one, as long as the one I have continues to be supported until all the bugs are worked out and any exploits are patched. Unless there is an official recall or at&t drops support for the phone, I'm keeping my Note 7.
    10-08-2016 11:33 AM
    Can't say it enough:

This is a safety issue.

Even if it's only one in a million, small comfort if it happens on a plane you're flying in.
    At this point it's the same amount of a safety issue as any phone. Lithium ion batteries can explode and pretty much every phone has issues with it because every phone uses them.
    10-08-2016 11:54 AM
    Another thing is if carrier won't carry the phones say I break my screen and want a replacement through their insurance...Then what?...So many things to consider if they decide to axe this device ....
    Comparable replacement.
    10-08-2016 12:00 PM
    No matter what resale value will suck.
    jlczl likes this.
    10-08-2016 12:01 PM
    Sad. I was hoping to jump back to a Note 7 if they had deals towards Christmas or start selling refurbs for cheap! I guess I'm stuck using the S7 Edge as that's the next closest thing to the Note.

I hope the V20 goes down in price in a couple months like many LG's do, but with the Note issue now they might not lower the price of the phone since less competition. Oh well will wait for the S8 Edge then. If the LG V20 was 700 or under I'd think about it but 800 something with no AMOLED screen is way too much IMO even though the rest of the phone is solid.
    10-08-2016 12:01 PM
    Sad. I was hoping to jump back to a Note 7 if they had deals towards Christmas or start selling refurbs for cheap! I guess I'm stuck using the S7 Edge as that's the next closest thing to the Note.

I hope the V20 goes down in price in a couple months like many LG's do, but with the Note issue now they might not lower the price of the phone since less competition. Oh well will wait for the S8 Edge then. If the LG V20 was 700 or under I'd think about it but 800 something with no AMOLED screen is way too much IMO even though the rest of the phone is solid.
    If there is another forced recall, I will probably go with the S7edge until the Note 8. I am hoping this is not the case.
    10-08-2016 12:25 PM
    At this point it's the same amount of a safety issue as any phone. Lithium ion batteries can explode and pretty much every phone has issues with it because every phone uses them.
    So why the first recall? There's a defect at play here well beyond "pretty much every phone has issues with it". When the manufacturer has announced that a defect in a device that's with you virtually 24/7 could result in death, it's a pretty serious defect. I'm flying Southwest this afternoon, and I worry that the airline will not accept that my new N7 is safe. And I can't blame the airline.
    monsieurms and 21stNow like this.
    10-08-2016 12:29 PM
    Come on guys let's not rule the note 7 out yet let's get the confirmation from the investigation first.
    10-08-2016 12:34 PM
    So why the first recall? There's a defect at play here well beyond "pretty much every phone has issues with it". When the manufacturer has announced that a defect in a device that's with you virtually 24/7 could result in death, it's a pretty serious defect. I'm flying Southwest this afternoon, and I worry that the airline will not accept that my new N7 is safe. And I can't blame the airline.
    That's my point. After the recall, there should be no more defects. So until there's proof that there is one, you saying there's a safety issue at play is just spouting nonsense. You can't just assume that there is one. The CPSC approved the new ones so presumably, it's just like any other phone right now.
    10-08-2016 12:44 PM
    Come on guys let's not rule the note 7 out yet let's get the confirmation from the investigation first.
    10-08-2016 12:49 PM
    Sounds about right. It's just too much of a risk at this point.
    Breuklen and recDNA like this.
    10-08-2016 12:54 PM
    Any thoughts on AT&T accepting these phones back. Will they also take the 2 tablets and 2 Gear s2? If I don't have the Note 7, I won't be needing these either. Which was a promotion with purchasing a Galaxy device. If I am forced to trade it in I'm going with V20, unfortunately that doesn't come out until the 28th. So what to do in the meantime as we switched from Verizon to AT&T??? Don't have any other AT&T phones to use in the interim.
    10-08-2016 02:01 PM
    If there is another forced recall, I will probably go with the S7edge until the Note 8. I am hoping this is not the case.
    You won't buy the S8 Edge? That is what I worry about lol. I spend way too much on phones and computers. I'll get the S8 Edge and then in Sept or so when the Note 8 is out I'll want that and end up spending more money again.

One thing for certain is I WON'T order anymore. I returned my Note 7 and purchased the Edge and I still have not got the refund yet and Tforce tells me up to 8 weeks from when the warehouse takes my phone, yet they refunded the tax a week ago, but can't refund the rest yet? Then the 611 tells me by Oct 11th I should get the rest. I basically own two phones right now even though I only have one. I'll drive 40 miles to buy in person if I have to or get an unlocked one when best buy starts selling it.
    10-08-2016 02:02 PM
86 1234