U.S. carriers backing off Note 7

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Their priority now should be to make sure that current customers are taken care of.

Sales should not be a prime priority right now.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I hope Samsung gives us Note 7 buyers a bargain when the N8 is released, maybe reel a few back in whom went elsewhere . If the N7 loses all future updates, which I believe it will (why put money and effort into an abandoned phone few have). I See no reason to keep N7 nor do I see any samsung devices I am willing to downgrade to, I already played that game last month.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I hope Samsung gives us Note 7 buyers a bargain when the N8 is released, maybe reel a few back in whom went elsewhere . If the N7 loses all future updates, which I believe it will (why put money and effort into an abandoned phone few have). I See no reason to keep N7 nor do I see any samsung devices I am willing to downgrade to, I already played that game last month.
I doubt that Samsung won't give it software support.

It'll be a slap in the face for those who own one

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I'll be keeping my Note 7 considering its the best device out right now from my experience but if Samsung stops software updates for the device then I may have to reconsider. It would be a big slap in the face if I kept the phone and they didn't continue to support it. But there is no other phone right now that interests me. I have gotten REALLY attached to the S Pen considering I draw a lot in One Note. I already have a fully paid off Note 5 so downgrading is off the table and would be pretty much pointless lol.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I doubt that Samsung won't give it software support.

It'll be a slap in the face for those who own one

Samsung will, but if a carrier is no longer selling the phone, they don't have much incentive to prioritize their software bloat. Say At&t stops selling as rumored, I think you have seen the last update minus security updates, which may or may not still come.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
It's so sad to see a phone like the note 7 suffer like this. I really wonder what Samsung intends on doing. How can they salvage the note 7 at this point? And I really wanted this phone. Now I just don't trust it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung will, but if a carrier is no longer selling the phone, they don't have much incentive to prioritize their software bloat. Say At&t stops selling as rumored, I think you have seen the last update minus security updates, which may or may not still come.
Yeah, the final say is always on the carriers.

I use a global unlocked variant, so Samsung still ought to support their own devices, but the carriers may be wishy-washy on that.

It's so sad to see a phone like the note 7 suffer like this. I really wonder what Samsung intends on doing. How can they salvage the note 7 at this point? And I really wanted this phone. Now I just don't trust it.
They'd probably relegate the Note 7 as a pretty niche device and move the S7 up as their main flagship offering for the entire year, focusing their marketing efforts on the S7 and less-so on the Note 7.

That's short of pulling the plug on the device entirely, which I still don't think is a proper solution as it leads to a new set of problems and creates an entirely different negative stigma of Samsung not being confident in their own products.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't the updates have to go through the carriers, whom may abonded the N7? Waste of time for them to support a device for a handful of N7 owners, it would be treated as a dated device in my opinion, no money in it for them as is. These carriers have a ton of time in this device as is.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't the updates have to go through the carriers, whom may abonded the N7? Waste of time for them to support a device for a handful of N7 owners, it would be treated as a dated device in my opinion, no money in it for them as is. These carriers have a ton of time in this device as is.
That depends on the carrier and the variant.

They may still support them, though perhaps they won't prioritize them as much.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This is not about "losing face". It's a safety issue. It has nothing to do with Samsung not being confident about their products.
I know that. I'm just sharing my thoughts on what repercussions they could have in the future over their actions.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

I don't think they can salvage it at this point. Because of the recall, anything that happens will make the spotlight that much brighter, and the sensationalism of the media certainly doesn't help. I love the phone and I am watching to see what the CPSC and Samsung do next before making any decisons. This is the first device that has checked all of the boxes for me in what I need in a smartphone. I hate to have to abandon it, but that may be the sad reality in the coming days if the carriers pull the plug. I'd hate to think what kind of mess it will be with everyone trying to return their phones all at the same time.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Another thing is if carrier won't carry the phones say I break my screen and want a replacement through their insurance...Then what?...So many things to consider if they decide to axe this device ....

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'll be keeping my Note 7 considering its the best device out right now from my experience but if Samsung stops software updates for the device then I may have to reconsider. It would be a big slap in the face if I kept the phone and they didn't continue to support it. But there is no other phone right now that interests me. I have gotten REALLY attached to the S Pen considering I draw a lot in One Note. I already have a fully paid off Note 5 so downgrading is off the table and would be pretty much pointless lol.

I feel your pain. But without updates our N7s are almost dead. Damn I hate moving to another device, but the N5 is outdated. Samsung is really driving me to look closely at the (dread) IPhone plus, and the new Pixel device.

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
This is not about "losing face". It's a safety issue. It has nothing to do with Samsung not being confident about their products.

Can't say it enough:

This is a safety issue.

Even if it's only one in a million, small comfort if it happens on a plane you're flying in.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Does this mean the carrier's won't release software updates for the note 7....That could make me jump ship :/

That is my only concern. I couldn't care less whether anyone else can buy one, as long as the one I have continues to be supported until all the bugs are worked out and any exploits are patched. Unless there is an official recall or at&t drops support for the phone, I'm keeping my Note 7.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Can't say it enough:

This is a safety issue.

Even if it's only one in a million, small comfort if it happens on a plane you're flying in.
At this point it's the same amount of a safety issue as any phone. Lithium ion batteries can explode and pretty much every phone has issues with it because every phone uses them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie