How Likely Is A Second Recall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If all the carriers give up on the N7, as it sounds as if they are, then this phone is DEAD!

Carriers want to move on, too much wasted resources here, the last recall was a mess from store to store, you think they want to do this again as the holiday season nears, heck no they want to sell phones, not deal with a muddied N7 reputation and issues.

RIP NOTE 7

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I think a second recall is a waste of time. It would all but kill the already low consumer confidence in the device. If the airplane device turns out to have been a fluke they can still salvage the 7. I could see carriers dropping it or demoting it to online sales only etc. If there's no longer a demand, they won't stock it in stores, but some online and global sales are better than writing it off.

That being said, if it's another defect then they should just throw in the towel on this one.

Seems the Note 7 is at best destined for Samsung online sales and maybe Best Buy and Verizon, if Samsung compensates.

Carriers generally are not going to bother at this point, barring this turns into Plane Guy. Best Buy and Verizon are only mentioned since both seem to leverage Samsung against an over dominating, accessory controlling Apple. Retail makes more money off accessories and warranties.

Samsung is better for their margins than Apple. Hard to let go of that.

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Too soon to say, depends on if the device in the plane was faulty or damaged from use. Purely speculative until then.

The only question is whether it was a replacement device with the green battery icon. The owner says it was indeed a replacement device. That's almost enough evidence for me. Why would she lie? Besides all the carrier would need is her phone number and they would know in an instant whether the client had participated in the recall yet. Granted that inspecting the original device is critical, it still seems to me that if the carrier's records show the customer was likely carrying a first batch phone, Samsung would have announced it immediately.

It looks bad, with no way out for Samsung.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
The investigation is important. Was the phone damaged beforehand? Was the charging apparatus faulty? Was it put under some unusual pressure? Was the problem in the battery or did it originate elsewhere? How many replacement units are out there and have there been so far one or maybe two if the weird Chinese report (hello, Taiwan is not China) is accurate, incidents out of say 500,000? Apple has had that many problems and so have several other companies. I am not trying to whitewash this, I just don't get the rush to make judgements based on so few facts. That is why both Samsung the US consumer group want to investigate. Facts, please.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The investigation is important. Was the phone damaged beforehand? Was the charging apparatus faulty? Was it put under some unusual pressure? Was the problem in the battery or did it originate elsewhere? How many replacement units are out there and have there been so far one or maybe two if the weird Chinese report (hello, Taiwan is not China) is accurate, incidents out of say 500,000? Apple has had that many problems and so have several other companies. I am not trying to whitewash this, I just don't get the rush to make judgements based on so few facts. That is why both Samsung the US consumer group want to investigate. Facts, please.
Unusual pressure? Like tight rear pockets every other phone withstands? Time to face reality. This is not a conspiracy of Apple terrorists

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Best case scenario for me is half price sale on Note 7 and take your chances. I'd use another phone for flying. There is no other phone even close to Note 7...maybe Note 5 is closest but not enough on board storage. I actually prefer on board to sd card but have to have 128gb+

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

All very good points, but will Southwest Airlines buy it when I board their flight this afternoon.

It's damning that the owner claims it was a replacement device. Why would she lie? I shouldn't have to worry that damaging my phone or using knock-off charging cords may turn my phone into an incendiary device. It's a safety issue. What if I'm on a congested freeway driving at speed when it happens?

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
All very good points, but will Southwest Airlines buy it when I board their flight this afternoon.

It's damning that the owner claims it was a replacement device. Why would she lie? I shouldn't have to worry that damaging my phone or using knock-off charging cords may turn my phone into an incendiary device. It's a safety issue. What if I'm on a congested freeway driving at speed when it happens?

The overall point is one incident should not make a company make rash decisions before knowing what occurred. Impatience will get you no where...,,,

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The overall point is one incident should not make a company make rash decisions before knowing what occurred. Impatience will get you no where...,,,
I agree... If this is a case of being an isolated incident, then are we going to have recall talk of every other phone that fails? An iPhone 6S+ failed in since kids pocket when he was in school last week...

If the CPSC investigated that case (which I can only assume they did) and then come to the same conclusion with the SW Note 7, what now?

If I were every other OEM, I'd be extremely troubled here. Samsung's getting killed because of this. What happens the next time a phone from another OEM goes up? Will they have to deal with the same hysterics?

rexb

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Please God no. I've waited for the Note 7 since the S7Edge came out. I thought to myself since my S7Edge performed so well that I'd definitely get the new Note. (Had Note Edge and got S7Edge temporarily while waiting for the next Note phone). I even paid extra on my Jump just to get the Note 7. Getting the replacement unit was a big inconvenience and now that I finally got my black Note 7, I hear news about another issue. I really love my Note 7 and use the sPen a lot for work.

But last night after reading the news I couldn't sleep well and was worried about my Note 7 catching fire putting my family in danger. One thing I noticed, the owner of the Note 7 that caught fire on the plane got his replacement on Sept 21st and caught fire approximately 2 weeks (Oct 5 ?), sounds like about the same time the first batch of Note 7 that started to have batteries catching fire. So you may have a perfectly working Note 7 for a couple of weeks then battery issue starts surfacing.. Like a ticking time bomb. I hope it's not the case as I wouldn't know what to replace my phone with.

Worse comes to worst, I expect Samsung to refund me the cost and get a replacement unit Note 5 for free. I won't accept any other phone without an sPen.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Imo, next week is the week of reckoning...if people replacements start having issues it will show it's true effects sometimes next week....

Status
Not open for further replies.