What would Samsung's next course of action be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung should:

1. Be more expeditious and diligent with reported incidents and have a team in place to control the narrative rather than let the media do it for them and it escape reality.

2. Fast track a Note 8 by a few months:

1. Stereo speakers
2. Replaceable battery with gasket seal for water resistance
3. No glass back
4. Drop resistance design
5. 4K mode for VR video and web (not games, the device would melt)
6. Less or no curve :) Drop design is nulled with curved glass.

Probably the only one of these that might happen is the 4K mode for video and web.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
what more can you want from the company????
87d015ce964f714a89bf996a03fabe57.gif

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not even the Note 7 issues that have put me off Samsung. It's the fact they will only be making EDGE phones going forward, at least Flagship phones, and I want no part of it.
Google Pixel here I come

You can always get an Active :)

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Their root cause / corrective action investigations are turning out to be insufficient.

They need to re-do both, only this time correctly identify the root cause(s) and fully disclose the details to the public. More importantly they need to assure consumers they have learned from the N7 and are actively designing the next generation of phones so that they do not suffer the same problems and headaches.

A good starting point would be to explain physically / chemically whats different between the Note7 and the other 6 and 7 series phones... NONE of which have these widely reported battery fire problems. They could easily use that as leverage... "We are going to continue what we are doing on these designs, and no longer going to repeat the mistakes of this design."

Lithium batteries are always going to have some degree of fall out. It doesn't need to be this painful to just replace a battery, or charge it externally away from the phone if that's what the consumer choses. Even then I don't think thats a solution to the N7 problem, since there are phones spontaneously combusting in an uncharged state... even when completely powered down.

One thing is very clear though... they CAN'T do nothing. The damage is already done, its going to take one heck of a marketing campaign to undo at this point, and I think this time around needs to be more than just a song and dance, dog and pony show. It needs to be scientific and based on factual, fully disclosed data analysis.

As for what to do with current production, I think its risky to continue shipping / production. I think they need to stop the bleeding... the more they ship the bigger the problem will get until they get to the bottom of the root causes.

Last edited:

edhawk

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Samsung should:

1. Be more expeditious and diligent with reported incidents and have a team in place to control the narrative rather than let the media do it for them and it escape reality.

2. Fast track a Note 8 by a few months:

1. Stereo speakers
2. Replaceable battery with gasket seal for water resistance
3. No glass back
4. Drop resistance design
5. 4K mode for VR video and web (not games, the device would melt)
6. Less or no curve :) Drop design is nulled with curved glass.

Probably the only one of these that might happen is the 4K mode for video and web.

Yes, because fast tracking the Note 7 did them so much good. For Christs sake, take your time and get it right, you've screwed up not once but now twice, make it 3 in a row with the 8 series and you can give another 25% market share to iSatan. I love my Note 7, best phone I have ever used by far, but at this point its just not worth the potential trouble and headaches. I have spent way to much time screwing with all the exchanges, and now my bill is totally screwed up, so more pain to come fixing that. I'm done with this whole experience for now and sure I am not alone. Samsung you are dead to me for quite a while.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
For starters, how about they admit they lied when explaining why the original shipments were faulty, apologize for acting aloof and insinuating that the victims were lying, then refund the full price (including tax) of any Note 7 phones and accessories that were purchased (by greenlighting a full refund through the carriers).

Then get hauled to court for negligence.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Lithium batteries are inherently volatile.

But that's why phones have a bunch of safeties built-in to reduce the chances of this occurring.

Something is definitely up with the Note 7.

I agree.
I'm reluctant to give this phone up again. Invested way too much into this by now. And nothing on the market compares.

But something is definitely up. One recall is bad enough. How does this happen? Can we get an unlocked version at launch and ditch the need to wait for carriers next time? If there is a next time...

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The worst part of this is the waiting. How many more devices need to ignite before action occurs? I have been to ATT store twice, and been turned away twice. The consumer is now being asked to accept a risk we didn't bargain for when we selected this device. I feel like I am being targeted as elitist/entitled because I want to use a device like the Note 7 safely but have to settle for something else which doesn't meet my needs.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If they are going to rename it plus

If they call it the note duos or something. Increase the ram comes preloaded with marshmallow and maybe if poss scrap gorilla glass 5. Then all the accessories would still work.?

piinkRainbowz

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: If they are going to rename it plus

They wouldn't call it note duos or note 7 duos. Because the phone would have to have dual sim to be considered a duos..

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: If they are going to rename it plus

If they call it the note duos or something. Increase the ram comes preloaded with marshmallow and maybe if poss scrap gorilla glass 5. Then all the accessories would still work.?

Did you see the new video from the guy who did the scratch test for Note 7? He has a new video where he explained his first test is wrong.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is why there is no announcement from Samsung directed towards it's consumers that have put up with this entire fiasco and are now walking around with what may be dangerous replacement units?

I can't fathom that they are simply going to say...here, go exchange it and do nothing to try and keep us as customers even if it's for a promise or discount in the future.

At this point, if one wants to keep wireless charging and water resistance I don't see that there is any alternative other than an S7 edge but I don't want to go that route and then be left holding something I don't want if they come out with an updated 7 again a month from now.

Limbo land sucks and I am not liking them for putting me here.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
They need to move on from this phone ASAP. They should then fast track (not skipping on quality, ensure they are safe first) the S8 so people can start talking about a different model, this one is tainted.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I disagree that they should move on. However, whatever their action is, I'd rather they not rush. That's what got them in trouble in the first place. (and maybe the second place).

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I get the distinct impression that Samsung may be in denial regarding what is happening with the replacement Note 7s. They are playing things legally safe and politically correct.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes, because fast tracking the Note 7 did them so much good. For Christs sake, take your time and get it right, you've screwed up not once but now twice, make it 3 in a row with the 8 series and you can give another 25% market share to iSatan. I love my Note 7, best phone I have ever used by far, but at this point its just not worth the potential trouble and headaches. I have spent way to much time screwing with all the exchanges, and now my bill is totally screwed up, so more pain to come fixing that. I'm done with this whole experience for now and sure I am not alone. Samsung you are dead to me for quite a while.
It's been said many times but people keep saying this. The note 7 wasn't fast tracked. It had basically the same release date as the note 5 did the year prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol