High performance batteries + fast charging + wireless charging + water proof sealing is holding back the high end cell phone market. We know iPhones are market lagers when it comes to high end features and performance, but it is a tried and proven functionality and it works as they push high style and average cell phone performance and features.

As well the lap tops today have sealed batteries, some have fans, but most lap tops have plenty of surface area to dissipate their heat and are not trying to be water proof.

If Samsung wants to be a cutting edge cell phone manufacturer their best/only course for may be to abandon sealed batteries for swappable ones and lead that segment of the market. There simply appears to be to much internal heat with todays technology to resolve this engineering issue.
    recDNA likes this.
    10-08-2016 12:42 PM
    You do realize all they have to do is coat the boards and connections with a special waterproofing spray right? As long as everything gets coated and the charge port is made of a rust and corrosion resistive metal the problem is solved for water use.
    10-08-2016 12:50 PM
    Yes, That's my point. Making a cell phone air tight, water tight and keeping the heat in may not be the best from a thermodynamics standpoint.
    10-08-2016 01:17 PM
    I have waterproofed electronics for years using spray on or dip coatings. Why do they think a rubber o-ring is going to work well? I think they put way too much under this hood. I would have rather been handed the phone on parts and told here's a can you waterproof it.
    10-08-2016 02:45 PM
    For me there is no real need to totally water proof the phone itself. I'd rather have a leading edge device and by a Life Proof case if I ever need to water proof it
    debdroid1a likes this.
    10-08-2016 04:46 PM
    What graves said.
    10-08-2016 08:36 PM
    I have waterproofed electronics for years using spray on or dip coatings. Why do they think a rubber o-ring is going to work well? I think they put way too much under this hood. I would have rather been handed the phone on parts and told here's a can you waterproof it.
    But the phones are designed to shut down long b4 battery hot enough to vent.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-08-2016 09:31 PM
    That's part of the point too that swappable batteries address. If your sealed cell phone has to shut down because of heat it impacts performance and availability.
    10-09-2016 07:22 AM
    Pretty sure it's the circuit in the note7 that's flawed and not the batteries. Which makes a removable battery pointless. I like Samsung's good looking glass phones and not that plastic/aluminum crap the other phones have. I know samsung won't switch anyway so I'm glad.
    10-09-2016 06:10 PM
    Pretty sure it's the battery in the Note7 that's flawed and not the circuit per say. The circuits are not an energy source the battery is, which makes a removable battery the best option as well having spare batteries on the go gives a power user 100% mobile availability and uptime. If your a business professional this is key while traveling, in meetings, away from a wall plug, etc. While Life Proof has any water proof requirements covered. The slick glass exterior of the Note 7 is slippery to hold and fatiguing to hold it for long periods. High school girls and others put looks above performance and features all the time and are a decent part of the market. Apple fills that need fairly well with it's marketing and advertising to campaigns.

I fully expect Samsung to either switch to swappable batteries and continue to drive the highest performance with the leading edge products or retreat to lagging technology and average performance like apple. Companies can make good money either way but with todays technology you may not be able to do it all at the same time.
    10-09-2016 11:03 PM
    This is the second different company that batteries are being used. It's not the battery. Something else in that phone is the culprit. You can say high school girls worry about looks but for me it's just as important. Does lifeproof have anything available for the note7 note or edge?
    10-10-2016 05:11 AM
    It's most likely the manufacturing process for the battery and connections if it were only the circuitry more of the units would be failing like this.
    10-10-2016 01:35 PM