Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
A couple of them are even saying "don't buy Samsung. Period." because the few fires with S7 edge are being buried by Samsung and the media... (or just not juicy enough because of the bigger news value of Note 7) :(

In the tech world, that's pretty devastating. But two of my friends (who are married) just bought S7 Edge phones on Friday. Let's not overstate our importance to normal folk.

They haven't been on a tech blog in there lives.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Wrong. I got was able to return with no request to return the promotional item. Did they send you an email or did you buy from Samsun.com? Because there was a lot of hearsay going around those first few days...especially from people foolish enough to ask Samsung direct about that lol. Verizon accepted my return without caring.
No I was taking about Samsung.com and yes I bought from Samsung.com which I would never buy online from them again. Of course their reps were all over the place with information during the recall so that may have been someone who didn't know what they were taking about. I just dread having to deal with them if the same thing happens this go round. If you haven't done it yet and would like to see what others think of the Samsung.com bugging experience venture over to that thread. What a mess that was.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Never acted like it was the CEO but texting and calling on this issue was likely not a line level rep on their general support line. The text reads as if it's going to a superior and is indicative of a serious culture issue given the circumstances around the note 7. Definitely could be a fake text but that could be easy to prove and something even a local news outlet could prove with little effort on their part (doesn't mean they did though). I hope this proven to be a text from his buddies and not Samsung but that seems unlikely give the way events are unfolding.
If it's not from Samsung then we can put them back on the table as an option in my house.
Until then I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the guy who had his phone kick the bucket. You can give the benefit to Samsung that's your right and also acceptable until we get all of the facts.
Sounds like a plan....

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure that text was doctored by the guy. Sorry to say, but his refusal to send the phone in for investigation speaks volumes. This guy was looking for a quick buck.

People here need to stop freaking out.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Check the front page. Another one burnt up on a guys night stand in Virginia at 5:45 this morning. Confirmed replacement Note 7 by AC as it was reported to them with all the relative documentation and photos. It is time for a little realism here...this is no longer a minor issue. It can happen to absolutely anyone.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that text was doctored by the guy. Sorry to say, but his refusal to send the phone in for investigation speaks volumes. This guy was looking for a quick buck.

His refusal to send his personal phone that he spent $800+ for to the company that has already issued a recall once and has every motivation in the world to keep further incidents out of the press means the guy is intelligent.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
His refusal to send his personal phone that he spent $800+ for to the company that has already issued a recall once and has every motivation in the world to keep further incidents out of the press means the guy is intelligent.

It might even mean he was thinking of speaking to a lawyer if he hadn't already. Giving the Note 7 back would give Samsung the opportunity to alter the device and blame the incident on him. A third party should be given the phone for investigation, not Samsung.

Shady company will be shady:
http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/samsung-admits-to-washing-machine-recall-error-that-led-to-fire-20160726-gqe7sb.html

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Seriously? If I had a device that did that to me, the last thing I would do is turn it over to the company who has the most incentive to cover it up. Seriously, I don't understand the confusion on this point.

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
A friend still has an original Note 7 that she was finally going to exchange this weekend. She works crazy hours and volunteers so has very little time and had trouble on a couple trips to Best Buy. She is besides herself and is simply waiting hoping to hear from Samsung this coming week about their plans to fix this sh*tstorm.

I am practically begging her to turn in the phone for another Android phone, possible the S7E or one of the new flagships that recently came out. She has several dogs and cats at home and the last thing she needs is a fire where she'll need to evacuate herself and the animals.

Samsung just truly screwed this up royally. I think they have no other choice but to recall & kill the Note 7. Make amends with customers (especially those that went out and got accessories for the Note 7 that are now useless) and fight like hell to have nothing but perfect, or as close to perfect launches in the future. Even at the expense of losing a bit of sales if that's what it takes.

Whining about iPhone fires is simply that: Whining. In the US alone there were 92 Note 7 fires before the CSPC demanded Samsung initiate an official recall. This week alone that are at least four incidents in the US (lets ignore the incidents overseas for now) with Samsung not mentioning the first in Kentucky before the second incident in a plane about to depart later in the week. They are truly not looking good.

Forget an October surprise in the presidential race. The only October surprise will be from lawyers rushing to court houses to file class action lawsuits against Sammy.

Edited: I originally counted the incident from China. There have been four US incidents that we know of this week.

Last edited:

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Seriously? If I had a device that did that to me, the last thing I would do is turn it over to the company who has the most incentive to cover it up. Seriously, I don't understand the confusion on this point.

That guy did the right thing. Samsung is still trying to keep the wraps on the S7 edge fires. Now that they have been caught trying to cover up the replacement Note 7 fires, who knows what else they are capable of.

My question is... who is an independent third party capable of handing this? CPSC seems either incompetent or lack the resources to thoroughly test everything.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
That guy did the right thing. Samsung is still trying to keep the wraps on the S7 edge fires. Now that they have been caught trying to cover up the replacement Note 7 fires, who knows what else they are capable of.

My question is... who is an independent third party capable of handing this? CPSC seems either incompetent or lack the resources to thoroughly test everything.

Still not hearing much about the edge fires, I brought it up on here awhile ago and was effectively crucified for it, do you have some press releases regarding the issue? I have a friend that's about to swap his note 7 for an edge and I told him to hold off but he has the itch in a big way

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Going to be interesting to see how this goes forward.

ATT has stopped selling them and exchanging them. I am sure other carriers will now follow.

I also doubt that a fix will happen. Samsung should and probably will just end the Note 7 all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech