Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly... you have so many people here ready to accuse the VICTIMS here of trickery... how about being the VICTIM and you have a BIG SAMSUNG rush over ASAP and say, "Let us hold the phone." and luckily he didn't cause from that text who knows where that phone would have disappeared and we were lucky to see the news article. They wanted that guy in China's phone and he refused too and went to the press.

Why would he?

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I have officially given up on the Note 7; after the recall I decided to wait for the Pixel announcement before deciding to re-buy the Note 7. Well the Pixel was a disappointment, and now the replacement Note 7s are apparently still plagued with bad batteries.

I got tired of looking for a phone (couldn't do the S7 or the S7 edge as I hate their version of TouchWiz) so I just bought an HTC 10. It was competitive at $550.

Now I can stop lurking phone forums everyday and get on with my life.

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The Nicolasville guy had me right up until he wouldn't let Samsung have the phone to investigate. Mmm, why not? I am not saying it may not have happened, but that is a big red flag to me.

As others have written, you can see the alleged texts from Samsung reps in the video attached. No way in hell would I let them have the phone. They're a multi-billion corp, not a benevolent entity looking out for your good. He may have suffered beyond just the fire and Samsung is just going to look out for their own self-interests. Samsung has every reason to lie and keep this under wraps.

Fanboys are already saying competitors are behind this new round of fires. All Samsung would have to do is say they found no reason for a fire without truly investigating. They've been accused of that in the past already.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have officially given up on the Note 7; after the recall I decided to wait for the Pixel announcement before deciding to re-buy the Note 7. Well the Pixel was a disappointment, and now the replacement Note 7s are apparently still plagued with bad batteries.

I got tired of looking for a phone (couldn't do the S7 or the S7 edge as I hate their version of TouchWiz) so I just bought an HTC 10. It was competitive at $550.

Now I can stop lurking phone forums everyday and get on with my life.
I'm considering the 10 as well, along with the Axon 7.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Why would he?
So I screw my phone up. Claim fire because of recall and ask me to send it for further exam and I say nope because knowing I caused the issue. Its not hurting them any to send it since the damage was done already. And let's all do this in a text form. Lol.....

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm considering the 10 as well, along with the Axon 7.

Yeah it was a hard pill to swallow but we must all move on. It's really strange because the HTC 10 wasn't even on my radar until I was forced to consider all options.

It has decent audio, decent cameras, decent Android experience, and as nitpicky as this sounds ... it has USB-C (I hate fiddling with my charger when driving, with USB-C you can't put it in wrong).

I don't know much about the ZTE, I wasn't sure if those lesser known brands get timely software updates.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
UPDATED with 8 incidences found so far...

So just to recap from all those posts recently the reported replacement phones (post recall) that have on the news... 5... in a two week period?? Did I forget any?

#1 China
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone catches fire in China - Sep. 27, 2016

#2 Louisville/Southwest Airlines
Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone catches fire on Southwest plane - The Verge

#3 Taiwan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N60aTHApMg4

#4 Minnesota
Alleged replacement Note 7 catches fire in Minnesota | Android Central

#5 Nicholasville, KY
Nicholasville man injured by replacement Samsung phone

#6 S Korea Burger King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCGyzUf5rw

#7 (S Korea Life Eagle Park)
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=TZt7UBYsOb0

#8 Virginia
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13218730/samsung-galaxy-note-7-fire-replacement-fourth-virginia

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good luck Samsung.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13215728/samsung-galaxy-note-7-third-fire-smoke-inhalation

"The phone is supposed to be the replacement, so you would have thought it would be safe," Klering told WKYT, saying that he had owned the replacement phone for a little more than a week. "It wasn’t plugged in. It wasn’t anything, it was just sitting there."

The most disturbing part of this is that Klering’s phone caught fire on Tuesday*and Samsung knew about it and didn’t say anything. And actually, it gets worse than that.

Samsung asked Klering if they could take possession of the phone and he said no, though the company did pay to have it x-rayed — but the damning evidence comes in the form of a text message that Klering inadvertently received from a Samsung representative:

Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
So just to recap from all those posts recently the reported replacement phones (post recall) that have on the news... 5... in a two week period?? Did I forget any?

China
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone catches fire in China - Sep. 27, 2016

Louisville/Southwest Airlines
Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone catches fire on Southwest plane - The Verge

Taiwan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N60aTHApMg4

Minnesota
Alleged replacement Note 7 catches fire in Minnesota | Android Central

Nicholasville, KY
Nicholasville man injured by replacement Samsung phone

Also remember before the first recall we heard of a few, but Samsung admitted to many more. Likely the case here as well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it was a hard pill to swallow but we must all move on. It's really strange because the HTC 10 wasn't even on my radar until I was forced to consider all options.

It has decent audio, decent cameras, decent Android experience, and as nitpicky as this sounds ... it has USB-C (I hate fiddling with my charger when driving, with USB-C you can't put it in wrong).

I don't know much about the ZTE, I wasn't sure if those lesser known brands get timely software updates.
At this point, I don't see why I should keep using the Note 7. It's already getting such a bad rep that's only going to get worse.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly... you have so many people here ready to accuse the VICTIMS here of trickery... how about being the VICTIM and you have a BIG SAMSUNG rush over ASAP and say, "Let us hold the phone." and luckily he didn't cause from that text who knows where that phone would have disappeared and we were lucky to see the news article. They wanted that guy in China's phone and he refused too and went to the press.
And it's almost guaranteed this isn't the first guy they tried to silence.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
He did allow at Samsungs expense to have an X-ray taken of phone. If he did screw up his phone... and notice all 5 incidents... if they all faked their incidents... an amazing coincidence that they all were able to destroy their phones and get the exact same burn areas and the areas around the burn area looking identical too. They all looked identical in damage and not one phone totally burned to a toasty black crisp or look any different from the rest. You'd think in 5 separate incidences, if done on purpose. there would be some major variances in looks if destroyed differently?

So I screw my phone up. Claim fire because of recall and ask me to send it for further exam and I say nope because knowing I caused the issue. Its not hurting them any to send it since the damage was done already. And let's all do this in a text form. Lol.....

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
At this point, I don't see why I should keep using the Note 7. It's already getting such a bad rep that's only going to get worse.
I just wish there was something I wanted to Jump to but the only thing would be back to LG with the V20 and that's about 3 weeks away. I hate to burn a JOD on a device knowing I'll only have it 3 weeks but I might just have to do it. Shame really because this N7 is the best phone I've ever owned, fire issues not withstanding.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I just wish there was something I wanted to Jump to but the only thing would be back to LG with the V20 and that's about 3 weeks away. I hate to burn a JOD on a device knowing I'll only have it 3 weeks but I might just have to do it. Shame really because this N7 is the best phone I've ever owned, fire issues not withstanding.
I'm still waiting for official word.

But I am sadly probably going to do the same.

It's sad because I know the replacement is not going to be as capable as the Note, but the Note 7's reputation has gone so far south that it's become more of a liability than an asset.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to succumb to mass hysteria so here is what I'm going to do at this point. I am going to back up the replacement Note 7, and then I'm going to let it discharge to below 60% battery and shut it off. Then I'm going to switch back to my iPhone 6s Plus until Samsung makes the next official move, either denouncing and disproving these latest claims deeming the phone safe to use or issues another recall, perhaps a full recall and EOS/EOL of the device.

I'm not risk averse but these reports are not a concerted effort to subvert the device. Something is lurking here and I want to know what before I feel confident that I'm not putting others at risk.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You don't have an old phone to fallback to until say the S8 news comes out or hang tight til Note 8? I have a loaner Iphone 6 been using. I wanted the Note 7 cause like you been a long time since a phone caught my interest... my list was OnePlus3 or Axon 7 but since I had an "in" to get a Note 7 through our work account much cheaper it's too attractive to pass up. Now if this story leads to no Note 7 sold... I'll probably just save my money and use a free phone and soon enough the S8 will be out or OnePlus4 or Axon 8 maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.