Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
And it's almost guaranteed this isn't the first guy they tried to silence.

I'm sure they tried... but what I'd like to know is how many
burning new Note 7 owners accepted money or other
considerations to keep quiet? Is that even legal?
(assuming the fire was genuine and caused solely by
Samsung)

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Mod Note: Please remember to keep all discussions civil and to keep responses as friendly and as helpful as possible.

After what happened with Jerry in the blog comments, I'm asking everyone who is participating in this thread to ensure that we don't get something similar in this thread.

What happened to Jerry in the blog comments? Which story was it? I haven't read many of the comments on the Note 7 stories because there are so many and people keep making the same negative arguments.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Mod Note: Please remember to keep all discussions civil and to keep responses as friendly and as helpful as possible.

After what happened with Jerry in the blog comments, I'm asking everyone who is participating in this thread to ensure that we don't get something similar in this thread.

not sure if this belongs in this thread? this is like the
4th or the 5th fire documented, involving replacement
Note 7 that has the supposedly "safe" battery inside.

another replacement Note 7 that allegedly went up in
smoke. this time at a Burger King in South Korea.
(yes, where Samsung is from) The BK employee in
this video wore oven mitts and tried to get the burning
Note 7 out of the store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCGyzUf5rw

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Exactly... you have so many people here ready to accuse the VICTIMS here of trickery... how about being the VICTIM and you have a BIG SAMSUNG rush over ASAP and say, "Let us hold the phone." and luckily he didn't cause from that text who knows where that phone would have disappeared and we were lucky to see the news article. They wanted that guy in China's phone and he refused too and went to the press.

Victims don't need to do trickery. They could have damaged the phone and want to hide it. Samsung needs access to the phone to investigate it. Why would someone want to impede Samsung from investigating the issue? Samsung wouldn't bury a systemic issue because anyone with a brain would know that if there is a systemic issue then they need to deal with it. The only way in which Samsung would want to hide it is if there is no risk to other phones, and if there isn't a risk to other people why would you want to make them needlessly afraid exactly?

Maybe it's because I'm actually a Samsung fanboy or something, but I'm not seeing a principal-agent dilemma here, Samsung's interests are intrinsically aligned with those of their consumers, aren't they?

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I can fully understand the numerous folks on this thread who have powered down their Notes ............ I get it !!!!!

Since this 2nd round of issues came to light late last week my Note had worked perfectly with sign of warmth or concern. Am I a bit concerned ???

Of course ...... I stay cogizant to any sign of heat and will power it down IF I felt it was unsafe to continue to use my Note. I still have my S6 Edge+ in one my bedroom drawers that I can easily use ?

I'm sorry to say but the past few days kinda reminds me of the stories of those witch hunts in whatever Mass town ( Salem ? sorry too tired to google right now ).

Folks persecuted and condemend to death because he or she " says " they're a witch or evil ???

I'm going to continue using and honestly ENJOYING my Note ......... albeit cautiously for now and will see how this plays out this week

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I can understand the batteries failing during charging; But when they heat up in a pocket or on a table, that's a real problem to solve!

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm no mod here but uuummm ............

Let's all .........
67e96e0ef3fe63ae36a48f70433a4909.gif

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe heating up when not in use is a software issue. Very possible it could be running like wildfire in the background. Then again in is possible the slightest bend to the device breaks the battery open. Quit sitting on your phones people.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
seriously... there is no correlation here... comparing apple's taking away an headphone jack (??) to a Samsung rep texting of trying to slow down a victim... which he is because besides just a exploded phone he had suffered a medical issue out of this... to compare the two is not right. One is marketing strategy that does no harm, the other is a deceptive strategy to skirt a safety/legal issue.

You know rumor mill has the S8 losing the headphone jack too.... then will you be irate at samsung?

Honestly... if they were "brave" to remove the jack with the Note 7... they probably would have had more room to really fit the battery properly and we wouldnt be where we are? ;)

Ending the note with a little humor... but it's true :)

What the hell does Apple changing the headphone jack (it wasn't removed, it's now a lightning headphone jack instead of the standard 3.5 mm version) have to do with Sammy putting people at risk for fire? They screwed up once, now are screwing big time. They may have put Chinese users at risk. According to The Verge, they kept quiet about the Tuesday Kentucky fire days before the fire on the Kentucky plane. What would have happened had the plane taken off? Samsung needs to be smacked and smacked fast. As soon as humanly possible, the CPSC should institute a 2nd recall with all Note 7s retuned and no third shot being available. There should be fines and the responsible parties punished. Civil and criminal cases should be brought, if possible.

Take off the blinders: At this point, other corps are better. And obviously smarter.

Last edited:

Taigatrommel

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site
I already got my replacement units a few weeks ago and actually thought I could finally use this phone just like any other of the countless phones I've used in the past: Without any worries or second thoughts. Now reports of new accidents with actually replaced (and as such, "safe") units starting to spread, even on local radio stations they had those cases in the news. Today I already got into a heavy argument with my girlfriend about the future of this phone in our household and honestly I am having a hard time not agreeing with her, I contacted Samsung asking for options if they'd take the phone back. Even at my workplace people again eyeing me (or better the phone) carefully, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd also issue a ban of using this device at work and honestly I again can't really blame them.

Having said that, I find that text message quite awkward, why would that Samsung guy text his supervisor (or whoever) such a message instead of mailing it? I am also having a hard time believing the Samsung employee sent this text to the victim by accident, it simply seems suspicious. Remember that iPhone 5(?) prototype which an Apple employee "forgot" in that bar before release, I am pretty sure that was no accident either and it still looks rather awkward. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if that text was actually a fake. I am also sure there could be some fake accidents with replaced units out there, but not all of them. Samsung has to react fast and ensure the safety of the people who spend a whole bunch of money to get this flagship device.

Last but not least: My replacement device has been produced on August 31st, just two days before Samsung admitted any problems or announced a recall. Some units, faulty ones, were produced just a few days earlier, like Aug 25th. What have they *really* changed in those few days to ensure the new batch is actually safe?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
New twist to pre-board airline warning regarding Note 7

I've been doing a lot of flying the last month or so, and every single pre-board message is capped off with the "You cannot use or charge a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on this flight" (or similar wording). And they say it more than once. But yesterday - on a Delta flight from Detroit to Newark - was the first time I heard them add, "Including any replacement Note 7s." Ouch. I cannot imagine the embarrassment felt by a Samsung executive or other employee having to travel commercial and hear that before every flight.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Have you seen/held one in person? I thought the design from websites made it look to "roundish" in the the back or something but in person, it's a really sleek phone and feels great in hand. Dual speakers were nice too.

As for me, I'm probably moving over to this phone

Status
Not open for further replies.