Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this truly sucks! There is no other android phone maker that makes me as interested as Samsung. I'm so bored with iPhone 6 from my work, so I still keep my old S5 as backup which still works like charm and my colleagues at work with S7 are all pretty happy with it. I can only hope at least some of these are fakes, and rest are isolated defects.

If those incidents are all legit, I think Samsung should issue sincere apology, thorough explanation on what went wrong with Note 7 development and offer full refund or exchange with other phone without question. Wouldn't be surprising if their head of mobile (Koh) resigns over this fiasco. I think they need to make sure the charging/protection circuits in S8 works as perfect as possible and QC of batteries.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I can fully understand the numerous folks on this thread who have powered down their Notes ............ I get it !!!!!

Since this 2nd round of issues came to light late last week my Note had worked perfectly with sign of warmth or concern. Am I a bit concerned ???

Of course ...... I stay cogizant to any sign of heat and will power it down IF I felt it was unsafe to continue to use my Note. I still have my S6 Edge+ in one my bedroom drawers that I can easily use ?

I'm sorry to say but the past few days kinda reminds me of the stories of those witch hunts in whatever Mass town ( Salem ? sorry too tired to google right now ).

Folks persecuted and condemend to death because he or she " says " they're a witch or evil ???

I'm going to continue using and honestly ENJOYING my Note ......... albeit cautiously for now and will see how this plays out this week

I agree with this post. And, I get it too. I have a beautiful 6-year daughter (maybe I'm a little biased :D ) at home and the last thing I want to do is put her at risk. But we should remember there are investigators looking at this right now who know a LOT more than any of us do. There is no need to make decisions based a small number of cases that have yet to be proven/investigated. The CPSC has had the Louisville phone since last week and you can be sure that if, and as soon as, they determine there is a danger, we will hear about. They are especially under pressure to since they approved Samsung's recall plan.

If it is determined there is a danger, I'll be the first in line to replace my phone, but until then I'll continue to enjoy using it.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I just hope the carriers didn't do this by putting a sticker on the box and passing recalled devices out. At this point I'm still trying to figure out why build dates are before the recall was even in place.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I agree with this post. And, I get it too. I have a beautiful 6-year daughter (maybe I'm a little biased :D ) at home and the last thing I want to do is put her at risk. But we should remember there are investigators looking at this right now who know a LOT more than any of us do. There is no need to make decisions based a small number of cases that have yet to be proven/investigated. The CPSC has had the Louisville phone since last week and you can be sure that if, and as soon as, they determine there is a danger, we will hear about. They are especially under pressure to since they approved Samsung's recall plan.

If it is determined there is a danger, I'll be the first in line to replace my phone, but until then I'll continue to enjoy using it.
09a02927a589761a078b52e7c1f32d08.gif

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Victims don't need to do trickery. They could have damaged the phone and want to hide it. Samsung needs access to the phone to investigate it. Why would someone want to impede Samsung from investigating the issue? Samsung wouldn't bury a systemic issue because anyone with a brain would know that if there is a systemic issue then they need to deal with it. The only way in which Samsung would want to hide it is if there is no risk to other phones, and if there isn't a risk to other people why would you want to make them needlessly afraid exactly?

Maybe it's because I'm actually a Samsung fanboy or something, but I'm not seeing a principal-agent dilemma here, Samsung's interests are intrinsically aligned with those of their consumers, aren't they?

What kind of damage could they have done that would have caused the battery to burn up the phone? We have seen videos of drop tests and the phones don't begin to catch fire

https://youtu.be/GBSuEtkC0sg

Typical damage of a phone comes from dropping it, and in the video above the Note 7 did pretty good and did not catch fire. I would also not have given the phone to Samsung to investigate. In the Nicholasville case, if a phone caught fire and caused me to go to the hospital and diagnosed with bronchitis, there is no way I would give up that phone to Samsung, he did let them x-ray it however. In addition, that text from a Samsung representative is pretty shocking as well. This is not good for Samsung in so many ways, there will be lawsuits, potentially another recall of the Note 7 and they have lost a ton of consumer confidence

At the end of the day, the Note 7 is a just a phone. If it's not in my life, I will have lost nothing as a replacement device will do the things I need, make/receive phone calls and text messages, browse the internet, email and take pictures. Having a device like the Note 7 that has the potential to cause harm, is not worth it to me and it's hard for me to understand why someone would keep it knowing that there could be a chance it could harm them or others.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
What kind of damage could they have done that would have caused the battery to burn up the phone? We have seen videos of drop tests and the phones don't begin to catch fire

https://youtu.be/GBSuEtkC0sg

Typical damage of a phone comes from dropping it, and in the video above the Note 7 did pretty good and did not catch fire. I would also not have given the phone to Samsung to investigate. In the Nicholasville case, if a phone caught fire and caused me to go to the hospital and diagnosed with bronchitis, there is no way I would give up that phone to Samsung, he did let them x-ray it however. In addition, that text from a Samsung representative is pretty shocking as well. This is not good for Samsung in so many ways, there will be lawsuits, potentially another recall of the Note 7 and they have lost a ton of consumer confidence

At the end of the day, the Note 7 is a just a phone. If it's not in my life, I will have lost nothing as a replacement device will do the things I need, make/receive phone calls and text messages, browse the internet, email and take pictures. Having a device like the Note 7 that has the potential to cause harm, is not worth it to me and it's hard for me to understand why someone would keep it knowing that there could be a chance it could harm them or others.
I dunno. But phones blow up all the time. A couple iPhones have blown up on planes too. I fully understand giving the phone back and not wanting to buy it. I also understand calling Samsung incompetent in dealing with the problem. And that the replacement may very well need to be recalled too and not be replaced. It is pretty much an unmitigated disaster for them. What I don't agree with is acting like Samsung is some shady company trying to cover up some systemic issue, because it wouldn't be possible for them to cover it up. I'm sure they are doing everything they can, incompetently or not, because that is what their personal incentives suggest they will do.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I dunno. But phones blow up all the time. A couple iPhones have blown up on planes too. I fully understand giving the phone back and not wanting to buy it. I also understand calling Samsung incompetent in dealing with the problem. And that the replacement may very well need to be recalled too and not be replaced. It is pretty much an unmitigated disaster for them. What I don't agree with is acting like Samsung is some shady company trying to cover up some systemic issue, because it wouldn't be possible for them to cover it up. I'm sure they are doing everything they can, incompetently or not, because that is what their personal incentives suggest they will do.

I agree with you with regard to Samsung not knowingly putting out a defective Note 7 replacement. However, if the text that the man from Nicholasville is legit, there is something shady happening. We aren't talking about a few million dollars, there are billions at stake here and I think any company would do what they had to to make sure the damage does not get worse.

I can also see carriers having Samsung succumb to more stringent quality assurance before they will carry their phones in the future which would cost them more money as well.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sigh...I've been hanging in there with the Note 7...didn't care about the "stigma" of having one and since I don't have plans to fly anywhere figured I wouldn't have to deal with that inconvenience so I was happy to keep on keeping on with the Note 7. AND I still feel that way. But if this ends up being a recall/cancel product line I have no doubt that even for those of us that are sticking it out, eventually our device will be shut down or gimped via update. I'm still on board...because as others have posted there simply isn't anything out there as nice now, or in the immediate future. I honestly feel very frustrated because I HAD an S7 which I JUST sold (for less than what I paid for it) because I thought this was behind us. I just gave away the cases I had for it to a close friend (who I wouldn't dream of asking for them back). I've purchased wireless chargers. I've spend HOURS setting up not one but two devices now.

If I'm forced to give up my Note 7 I'm going to be SO FREAKING UPSET about the time, energy and money I've wasted. I know I can't be (I'm NOT) alone. I was willing to just wait for this to quietly die down. And while I'm grateful I haven't had a device go up in flames, if I'm forced off the Note 7 I want some darn compensation for all MY TIME, trouble and money I spent. I feel a bit slapped in the face that my "reward" for sticking by Samsung might possibly be not just getting screwed but getting royally screwed.

I'm actually with omgitselaine on this RIGHT NOW...but I'm also feeling so frustrated right now.

I just sold my Note 4 two days ago so I am in the same boat and I too expect more from Samsung than a "sorry" if this phone is put to rest.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: New twist to pre-board airline warning regarding Note 7

I've been doing a lot of flying the last month or so, and every single pre-board message is capped off with the "You cannot use or charge a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on this flight" (or similar wording). And they say it more than once. But yesterday - on a Delta flight from Detroit to Newark - was the first time I heard them add, "Including any replacement Note 7s." Ouch. I cannot imagine the embarrassment felt by a Samsung executive or other employee having to travel commercial and hear that before every flight.

Nobody can answer this question for me. How do they know what phone you have??

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

They don't know, but are calling the Note 7 out, even with jokes. For now anyway. The Note 7 has become the Munson of phones. Kind of like in Kingpin.

My first flight today they called it out and most on the plain laughed.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Nobody can answer this question for me. How do they know what phone you have??

They pretty much expect people to behave and follow instructions given all the issues with this device. And if you don't follow the instructions and something happens, it is on you.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

I seriously doubt most flight attendants can tell the difference between a Note 7 and a or Moto Z Force or an iPhone7 Plus or another other phablet to seriously enforce these policies. Especially if the phone is in a case...

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Their is a design flaw that samsung had in the original device, that based on recent incidents may not be resolved. People keep using the 'all phones have issues' excuse when we KNOW from Samsung that the original device design had major flaws resulting in battery failure. This is NOT normal battery failure, it is a faulty design that 'fixed' phones are also displaying. Not an equivalency.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Given that text message, I'm not sure why anyone would trust Samsung at this point.

In all honesty, I don't see how that text makes them untrustworthy. Samsung is a business and I generally think all businesses act in their own self interest. But the text message doesn't say anything:

1. It's not clear what he was "threatening." If he were threatening to post this all over the media, ANY company would prefer him not do that and give them a chance to resolve the issue directly. I am business owner myself, and if we ever had an unhappy customer threatening to post their experience all over the media (fortunately we have never had that), I would also try to slow them down and fix the problem with them directly. I can't see how that would make me untrustworthy.
2. My trust for a company is based on what they actually do as a company, not a text sent by SINGLE employee in a stressful situation

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
If I'm forced to give up my Note 7 I'm going to be SO FREAKING UPSET about the time, energy and money I've wasted. I know I can't be (I'm NOT) alone. I was willing to just wait for this to quietly die down. And while I'm grateful I haven't had a device go up in flames, if I'm forced off the Note 7 I want some darn compensation for all MY TIME, trouble and money I spent. I feel a bit slapped in the face that my "reward" for sticking by Samsung might possibly be not just getting screwed but getting royally screwed.

Seriously, the sense of entitlement that people have coming out of this unfortunate ordeal is pretty sad. I'm not at all a Samsung shill but expecting Samsung to "bribe" people with offers of compensation for staying with their brand is ludicrous. No matter what happens with the Note 7, they're still a diversified (in all facets of electronics manufacturing) multi-billion dollar company in the business to make money, not to appease people who choose to stick with their Note 7 and expect to be rewarded. People will still buy their TVs, refridgerators, washing machines, chipsets, etc. so they could care less about a few pissed off people who are threatening to leave them forever for the inconvenience. Heck, they've already allowed people to triple-dip on promotions via subsidization of loaners and credits the past 6 weeks that in total matches the cost of a new phone, isn't that good enough? If anything that was your reward for sticking with them! If not, people can always just take their free toys and switch to other phones and go away from Samsung forever.

Once the new S8 comes out with all it's new tech and the associated media hype, I'm pretty sure this whole ordeal will be forgotten and all the complainers will rush in line to get the new phones. If not by the "loyalists" here then by new Samsung customers who could care less about the recalls and just want the latest and the greatest gadgets.

BTW I'm keeping my Note 7 until it really gets recalled (which I'm still on the fence regarding if that'll ever happen).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.