Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
A simple sticker and software update is all they needed to make bad phones look good. The imei number can be set as good easily.

I don't know if you recall, but Samsung started investigations the week of Aug 29 and halted sales on Sept 1. I think people can criticize Samsung for many things but slapping a sticker over a bad phone is a bit far fetched in my opinion. They likely halted production right before the stoppage of the sales, identified which phones were not affected and then also re-started production with the issue resolved immediately after replacing the batteries on the production lines. Like someone earlier said - the battery icon thing came up well later on.

I mean, seriously... All of a sudden Samsung went from Android darling to shady back-alley dealer? If it turns out that Samsung intentionally hid or did not resolve the issue, then they need to be taken to task, but so far it hasn't come to that and all these years of using their products with no issues makes me give them the benefit of the doubt. That alleged text message doesn't really mean much to me because if it's true - I'm not sure what was said that was so devastating? If it turns out that they've been shady all along I will be amongst the first to burn my patronage of the company but until then, I'm just going to follow whatever I need to do as a result of the latest turn of events: keep, return, etc.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if you recall, but Samsung started investigations the week of Aug 29 and halted sales on Sept 1. I think people can criticize Samsung for many things but slapping a sticker over a bad phone is a bit far fetched in my opinion. They likely halted production right before the stoppage of the sales, identified which phones were not affected and then also re-started production with the issue resolved immediately after replacing the batteries on the production lines. Like someone earlier said - the battery icon thing came up well later on.

I mean, seriously... All of a sudden Samsung went from Android darling to shady back-alley dealer? If it turns out that Samsung intentionally hid or did not resolve the issue, then they need to be taken to task, but so far it hasn't come to that and all these years of using their products with no issues makes me give them the benefit of the doubt. That alleged text message doesn't really mean much to me because if it's true - I'm not sure what was said that was so devastating? If it turns out that they've been shady all along I will be amongst the first to burn my patronage of the company but until then, I'm just going to follow whatever I need to do as a result of the latest turn of events: keep, return, etc.

Text message alone is pretty alarming, we're done with Samsung.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Well, we're officially done with Samsung in this house :(

We've spent in excess of $10,000 on various Samsung products the last 5 years and the way they're handling these Note7 issues, especially the text message they sent regarding the fire in Kentucky has us throwing in the towel. We were exploring other options but really hoping to just go Samsung once they got their crap together. At the end of the day, customer service, health and safety matter.

Not only will we likely abandon their phones, but as various appliances come up for replacement we'll do what we can to stay away from Samsung. I can't reward a company for this sort of behavior by giving them my dollars. It kind of makes me sad because my wife and I are pretty brand loyal but we really can't support a company that doesn't understand corporate responsibility nor give a flying **** about their customers.

I'll hang onto my Note5 another month or so and then I guess we'll go to LG or Pixel for our phones. I'm pretty pissed since I just bought one of the Samsung flagship TV's just a couple months ago, if I had it to do over again I'd not give them a dime...

Can't say I agree with you. I have 3 of their tv's and 5 of their phones. Never had an issue with any of their products and my original N7 that I'm typing this message up in still has yet to give me any problems. Lag, overheating etc.

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site

But how are you sure that text was valid? Seems a little extreme considering you haven't had any problems with your products. One isolated incident shouldn't dictate your entire life lol. If that was the case, nobody should be voting for Trump with his recent fiasco.

Corporate mannerism and greed is probably the same with any other company. Its just Samsung is under scrutiny at this time.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Text message alone is pretty alarming, we're done with Samsung.

The text message hasn't been even verified to come from anyone at Samsung. It could've easily just been made up from a buddy of his. I wouldn't take anything that's reported by the media at this point to be the ground truth as there has been too much media hype and confirmed hoaxes around this whole fiasco (jeep guy, girl in NYC, etc.). Everything is click-bait until official statements come out next week.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The text message hasn't been even verified to come from anyone at Samsung. It could've easily just been made up from a buddy of his. I wouldn't take anything that's reported by the media at this point to be the ground truth as there has been too much media hype and confirmed hoaxes around this whole fiasco (jeep guy, girl in NYC, etc.). Everything is click-bait until official statements come out next week.

That's correct, but that's very easy to figure out so if it wasn't really Samsung, they could come out quickly and prove it, that hasn't happened which is odd....

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: We're not the only one

Thing with iPhones exploding is that it will never be reported by major news sites. Too many people especially people in high places that uses them. Right now, Samsung is the witch being burnt at the stake. The media only has one stake not two. So iPhone got off easy despite having the same issues.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site

But how are you sure that text was valid? Seems a little extreme considering you haven't had any problems with your products. One isolated incident shouldn't dictate your entire life lol. If that was the case, nobody should be voting for Trump with his recent fiasco.

Corporate mannerism and greed is probably the same with any other company. Its just Samsung is under scrutiny at this time.

We've had problems with our washing machine that they've been pretty awful dealing with.

If the text turns out to be not valid or really from Samsung I'll certainly reconsider, but that's fairly easy thing for them to prove/disprove and they've been silent on the issue which is odd.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
We've had problems with our washing machine that they've been pretty awful dealing with.

If the text turns out to be not valid or really from Samsung I'll certainly reconsider, but that's fairly easy thing for them to prove/disprove and they've been silent on the issue which is odd.

I wouldn't expect any word from Samsung over a weekend. I'm sure we'll here something Mon/Tues.

I hope they have a satisfying response.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
My trust for a company is based on what they actually do as a company, not a text sent by SINGLE employee in a stressful situation

Samsung knew about the phone in Kentucky days before the phones that caught on fire on the Southwest flight as well as the phone that caught on fire on Friday.

What did they do to inform consumers? NOTHING.

Had they informed consumers earlier, those incidents might have been avoided. How would you feel if that was your kid or if you were on that flight?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I hope they totally recall all Note 7s and give free Galaxy phone of choice to every customer that bought the Note 7.

Don't care how much it costs financially, enough of this lie after lie, Samsung has to start from scratch to earn back customer trust again if they can. But start at this because of all the inconvenience Note 7 owners had to go thru.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
...also he's using an iphone lol to read the text that supposedly samsung sent him huh

Posted via Android Central App

a lot of people have both Android and iOS phones at the same time. I currently have Note 4, Note 5, Note 7, S7 edge as well as the old iPhone 6 on my desk. I've always had both because I don't limit myself to just one mobile OS. :) Sames goes for computers.. I have a Windows PC, a Windows laptop, and a Macbook Pro.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Samsung knew about the phone in Kentucky days before the phones that caught on fire on the Southwest flight as well as the phone that caught on fire on Friday.

What did they do to inform consumers? NOTHING.

Had they informed consumers earlier, those incidents might have been avoided. How would you feel if that was your kid or if you were on that flight?

with the right prosecutor and jury, I think a criminal case can
easily be made against Samsung executives, if anyone was
injured/killed as a result of their actions to keep it a secret.

however, I don't think there is any such intent at Samsung
right now. I think they are just extremely worried about saving
whatever reputation they have at this time. (not that I blame
them)

Samsung is a huge corporation and I choose to believe that
99% of the people working there are good and decent people.
(and hopefully, intelligent)

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

I did not imply Samsung did the sticker thing. I'm saying the carriers did. Samsung had software to identify recalled devices and the battery in them. They even said so when they announced the recall. They should have used it then and made it public. The issue is did they use that to identify good batteries from bad? Did they assume there was only a battery issue when it may very well be other hardware or even software causing this issue? Go back and listen to the head man say they have software they will give carriers to check devices. If they did that and allowed the lazy no good jerks we all have had to deal with test and relabel then there is your answer to why we are seeing this issue after recall. Trust me I have been there and done that. I test boards for railroad safety equipment and by God I would snap a board in 2 if it failed! But some of these reps at stores will just mark that imei as good and do the next just because they don't care.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
The Nicolasville guy had me right up until he wouldn't let Samsung have the phone to investigate. Mmm, why not? I am not saying it may not have happened, but that is a big red flag to me.

He did allow at Samsungs expense to have an X-ray taken of phone. If he did screw up his phone... and notice all 5 incidents... if they all faked their incidents... an amazing coincidence that they all were able to destroy their phones and get the exact same burn areas and the areas around the burn area looking identical too. They all looked identical in damage and not one phone totally burned to a toasty black crisp or look any different from the rest. You'd think in 5 separate incidences, if done on purpose. there would be some major variances in looks if destroyed differently?

At this point, if you had a defective Note 7, were hospitalized for some incident involving the phone, and you got the misdirected text from Sasmung after you texted them, would you give up the phone? No, you would have hatched an elaborate scheme to set the phone on fire, inhale the hazardous smoke, and get yourself hospitlaized for a fat payoff, Yeah, that's it.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from AT&T and had ZERO issues. The lady was nice and knew about the issues of the replacements. She actually entered it all in the system and thought she had to get a code for the no restocking fee like she had to do for the last two days and this morning it automatically did it as it knew what phone. So AT&T did something over night to program the system for returns. My account is already reset and taxes were reimbursed to my checking account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma