Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_Cohen

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Not worried, just ordered a 2nd one

From Costco for my wife, she has fallen in love with my note 7 so as soon as we could we ordered her a new one as well.
We have 90 days to return/exchange so if they do announce a total recall we can move from that to something else but for now I am sticking my my replacement note 7 and hoping for her's to arrive in a few days.

superdeso

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Not worried, just ordered a 2nd one

I'm with you bro, note 7 is an amazing device. I've been a die hard note fan since note 2 on Verizon. I hope they don't issue a second recall and let cpsc and Samsung's investigation play through.

I'd really like to keep my note 7..I can say that looking from media pictures of the devices, they were all the black colored note 7s, and I have a blue coral one so that gives me a little hope...

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Not worried, just ordered a 2nd one

Amazing device but no way they will get out of being permanently recalled and banned...the note 7 is completely done

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
A new Samsung Evo+ 256GB card is $189 before taxes on Amazon right now so it's pretty close.

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't be demanding compensation for any "inconvenience" due to this issue as Samsung has been very apologetic and generous with their promotions/exchange/return policies in conjunction with the carriers.. This stuff happens in all facets of life. If your car is being recalled for a dangerous defect, would you be demanding compensation if you have to take it in to the dealer 50miles away a couple of times to get the issue fixed? At least in the Note 7 scenario, you can always get your money back if it's recalled and discontinued so there is absolutely no risk to the customer. I seriously doubt if Toyota would do that in the case of a recall.
Well during the first recall if you wanted return the note 7 for a refund, Samsung.com wanted the 256gb SD card back.

Last edited:

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Samsung had software to check battery mfg.

Samsung had the software to check each phone for battery type. The CEO even said it when this all started. He said they were going to send it to carriers to check devices. Suppose they did and carriers just said oh well and let these kids that don't want to work as it is check them? They should have released it to the public to identify bad phones not the carriers. We have already seen some posts that had said they have the original N7 and the imei checker says it's good. Someone messed up and messed up bad! Spoke with the store manager just a few for my Verizon store and he said they were suppose to do it that way and then it changed to send them somewhere else for checking. That's why they did the sticker. That's why some have gotten a phone like I did. None of the cables were wrapped on mine. He is sending an email up the chain to question if there could be an issue with how they did the checking of good vs bad and also requestion the software so we can test ours to make sure. I get my hands on it and I will post it for the world! I dont like the idea Samsung let carriers check instead of customers. It would have saved a 2nd round of panic.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
As of now there is no official announcement from verizon that we can exchange our "safe"note 7's.

Not sure why there are reports that verizon said it's ok when even trying to look it up there is nothing.

superdeso

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
He was sleeping when the phone started smoking and woke up coughing so it's believable he inhaled smoke. And he could be a smoker so he has a higher tolerance for inhaling until the point when he woke up

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok I just found out that there was software given to carriers to check battery mfg. Now if this is the case then we have bad n7's that should have been checked and did not get checked. Mgr at my Verizon store is trying to get that software so he can give it to me. Verizon sent theirs out to be checked. I don't know what the other carriers did. But if this is the case then guess someone didnt do their job and just said they were good without running the check.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Text message alone is pretty alarming, we're done with Samsung.
Wow, you act like this text came from the CEO, could have just been someone in customer service. No, it shouldn't have happened and someone should be reprimanded or fired but that doesn't mean all of Samsung feels this way. I too own almost everything electronic from Samsung, TV's, washer/dryer, refrigerator, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Note 2, 3, 4, 7, S5 & s7e, Galaxy Note 8 and Note 12 tablets, and this is the first problem I have had with any of them.

Do I like that I am facing this issue with the Note 7? No. Do I know what is going to happen with it? No. But to say I give up on Samsung and won't buy from them again because of a text from who knows who that was, isn't going to sway me. .

We all need to wait and see what the CPSC and Samsung says before we make our minds up on Samsung. Now, if you don't feel safe or frustrated with this Note 7 issue I understand the feeling, and it seems like all the carriers are taking the recalled and replaced phones back so you should be good there. But to say this is Samsung's feelings across the board because of one text isn't justified.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
wonder why the smoke detector didn't go off, assuming there was one.

PSA: check all smoke detectors regularly.
The smoke would have to travel to the smoke detector before it would go off. If my phone started smoking on my nightstand, the smoke would have to travel across the room before the detector goes off. I'd be guaranteed to inhale some before the detector went off.

theshaz

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
.... it seems there is a LOT of Apple trolls on here as well but why does apple get a free pass on burning up phones?

Because Samsung actually did a recall, it opened the doors for the competitors to egg(probably pay) the media to form the narrative that "Samsung" = Death & Destruction.

But Google any make & model and the word "Fire" all Lithium-Ion based devices are susceptible to this. IMHO putting the phone in your back pocket and flexing it does not help.

I'm tired of the doom & gloom. I give kudos to Samsung & Tmo for the way they handled the recall with me.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Well during the first recall if you wanted return the note 7 for a refund, Samsung.com wanted the 256gb SD card back.

Wrong. I got was able to return my original recalled Note 7 for a loaner with no request to return the promotional item. Did they send you an email or did you buy from Samsung.com? There was a lot of hearsay going around those first few days...especially from people foolish enough to ask Samsung direct about that lol (of course Samsung would say to return everything - which they never said in any official statement). Verizon accepted my return without caring and I've never received a communication from Samsung to return anything.

Last edited:

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
As of now there is no official announcement from verizon that we can exchange our "safe"note 7's.

Not sure why there are reports that verizon said it's ok when even trying to look it up there is nothing.

YMMV. Some Verizon Wireless corporate store managers have allowed it. Both of my local corporate stores are doing it.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Android Police... a number of other Android and tech publications and now AC saying don't buy. Samsung must act swiftly. They basically have no support for the phone now.

Don't buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 | Android Central

A couple of them are even saying "don't buy Samsung. Period." because the few fires with S7 edge are being buried by Samsung and the media... (or just not juicy enough because of the bigger news value of Note 7) :(

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Wow, you act like this text came from the CEO, could have just been someone in customer service. No, it shouldn't have happened and someone should be reprimanded or fired but that doesn't mean all of Samsung feels this way. I too own almost everything electronic from Samsung, TV's, washer/dryer, refrigerator, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Note 2, 3, 4, 7, S5 & s7e, Galaxy Note 8 and Note 12 tablets, and this is the first problem I have had with any of them.

Do I like that I am facing this issue with the Note 7? No. Do I know what is going to happen with it? No. But to say I give up on Samsung and won't buy from them again because of a text from who knows who that was, isn't going to sway me. .

We all need to wait and see what the CPSC and Samsung says before we make our minds up on Samsung. Now, if you don't feel safe or frustrated with this Note 7 issue I understand the feeling, and it seems like all the carriers are taking the recalled and replaced phones back so you should be good there. But to say this is Samsung's feelings across the board because of one text isn't justified.
Never acted like it was the CEO but texting and calling on this issue was likely not a line level rep on their general support line. The text reads as if it's going to a superior and is indicative of a serious culture issue given the circumstances around the note 7. Definitely could be a fake text but that could be easy to prove and something even a local news outlet could prove with little effort on their part (doesn't mean they did though). I hope this proven to be a text from his buddies and not Samsung but that seems unlikely give the way events are unfolding.
If it's not from Samsung then we can put them back on the table as an option in my house.
Until then I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the guy who had his phone kick the bucket. You can give the benefit to Samsung that's your right and also acceptable until we get all of the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams