Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Just a Thought

I have been following this board since I had an original note, bought on launch day. Not to sound like I am attacking, but of all the comments, you seem too be the only one who wont acknowledge that there could be a problem. You seem to want to put the blame on everyone, accuse them of manufacturing a story instead of the fact there could be a problem with the device.

Like many, I returned my original Note 7. It was the first Samsung I had that I liked. I decided my families safety was not worth the risk. I decided not to get a replacement and am glad I opted to go that route.

I am definitely not trying to defend it. I am just saying it will be really easy to fake such stories. It's a competitive world out there and people do anything for money.

I'm sure it won't put us in more danger to wait a few days for Samsung to finish investigation. Once it's confirmed and they acknowledge it's still the same issue, we can close the episode and no more guessing..

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site

I am definitely not trying to defend it. I am just saying it will be really easy to fake such stories. It's a competitive world out there and people do anything for money.

I'm sure it won't put us in more danger to wait a few days for Samsung to finish investigation. Once it's confirmed and they acknowledge it's still the same issue, we can close the episode and no more guessing..

I haven't (in fact no one has) seen pictures of every "burned" device, but it would be an incredible conspiracy for folks to ignite their phones in a manner that ALWAYS resulted in a burn pattern on the front screen nearly identical to the battery location as shown in the iFixit teardown.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

The fact they are "adjusting production" or I assume stopping based on the AC article, that tells me they believe there is a problem,

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

I haven't (in fact no one has) seen pictures of every "burned" device, but it would be an incredible conspiracy for folks to ignite their phones in a manner that ALWAYS resulted in a burn pattern on the front screen nearly identical to the battery location as shown in the iFixit teardown.

A friend who is a fire investigator explained exactly why they all look the same. The same type of burn typically has the same type of burn pattern. Not to hard to see that.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm no Cramer fan (he is an Apple fanboy and nut job) but whatever his source I think they and Nick are on to something. Many of the reported fires have been with people whose butt cheeks are being heated up. Anecdotally, my local AT&T corporate store said they had one pop and start buring the battery in the back office that was a return from a customer who said they dropped it. Either way the phone is under pressure stress (never have understood the desire to back pocket a $500-1000 device).

We've always know that dropping/smashing a lithium ion battery is dangerous and a fire risk. For whatever reason, my money is on too much battery in too small of a space that is subject to pressure problems...would explain round two of incidents even if they think the batteries are more reliable.

This is such a sad outcome - the GN7 was the first (and only) Android device that lured many of us iPhone Plus users to a pen based phablet. It is amazingly thin, light, and easy to handle one-handed for it's screen size, but maybe that is the reason it is having an inordinate number of failures. And please, don't point to other phones that do the same thing - their numbers are far fewer, and supporting bad behavior on one device by pointing to another is merely misdirection, or at worst a strawman argument.
I agree with you. That's why I started a post asking if the fix to the problem was a smaller battery would you do it. Most answered and said it's to late.

New phones are coming out, people got to play with the new, now old toy, now they want the new toy coming out and there is a way to do it now. I am waiting for investigation and I will do another recall of needed. If the n7 gets scrapped by Samsung then I will probably just refund and go back to my n5, wait for the n8. Maybe Samsung will put the n8 before the s8 release date. LOL

I would go to the s7 edge but there are reports of them burning up, over heating and getting hot. My n7 does not get hot ever, the first phone I have ever had that doesn't get hot. I wireless charge and fast charge. I take that back. The only time my n7 got hot, 105°, was when I used Samsung's battery case which I returned.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Once you can ignite the battery from within, it will almost burn the same way like what you see. Two ways to do it is to ram a hard object into the battery or put the phone under direct heat until the battery ignites. Some of the previous reported cases were already proven to be done so.

tntiger

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Well if they are definitely recalling the replacement note7 then i would have 2 note7 too send back lmao. The original recalled note7 and my replacement note7. I'm waiting for that box from verizon to send 1st one back.

Same here - along with 3 cases, 2 chargers and 2 screen protectors the majority of which can't be returned.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I find it curious that people credit the presence or lack of a removable battery as a conspiracy to force obsolescence rather than an action taken in step with the design philosophy. Some people think OEMs want their phones to have a bad experience? How do they get brand retention then?

I've never heard of iPhone users complaining/whining
about the lack of removable batteries.

The story is very different in the Android world. Almost
every other week, you hear people complaining/whining
about the lack of removable batteries on phones that
previous had them.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Same here - along with 3 cases, 2 chargers and 2 screen protectors the majority of which can't be returned.

The local Verizon corporate store is allowing customers to exchange
all Note 7 accessories. If you bring back the recalled Note 7 or the
"safe" replacement Note 7 back and exchange it for a different phone
(S7, iPhone, Moto, or whatever), they'll give you credit for *any* Note 7
accessories that you originally bought from Verizon corporate
store or VerizonWireless.com
towards the purchase price of the
accessories for the new phone. (but only good towards accessories
sold inside the Verizon corporate store, of if they don't have it in store,
they'll order it and have it shipped directly to you)

IMHO, that's more than fair. I'm just mad that Samsung.com doesn't
allows Note 7 accessories to be returned. :mad:

As much as I dislike Verizon, they certainly do know how to take care
of customers. That's one reason I still have not switched to T-Mobile
or AT&T yet. Their corporate stores here are extremely stingy when
it comes to little things like that.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The local Verizon corporate store is allowing customers to exchange
all Note 7 accessories. If you bring back the recalled Note 7 or the
"safe" replacement Note 7 back and exchange it for a different phone
(S7, iPhone, Moto, or whatever), they'll give you credit for *any* Note 7
accessories that you originally bought from Verizon corporate
store or VerizonWireless.com
towards the purchase price of the
accessories for the new phone that you pick out.

As much as I dislike Verizon, they certainly do know how to take care
of customers. That's one reason I still have not switched to T-Mobile
or AT&T yet. Their corporate stores here are extremely stingy when
it comes to little things like that.
That's only if you purchased the accessories from Verizon... I purchased my accessories from Amazon and so have others.... We're SOL on recouping cost..

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I've never heard of iPhone users complaining/whining
about the lack of removable batteries.

The story is very different in the Android world. Almost
every other week, you hear people complaining/whining
about the lack of removable batteries on phones that
previous had them.

Ya. Yet when LG gave them what they wanted in G4, and with rather good reviews + superb camera, the sales is not even as good as G3. So I came to the conclusion that only a small group of users are repeating this same request over and over lol

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

The fact they are "adjusting production" or I assume stopping based on the AC article, that tells me they believe there is a problem,

Agreed.

IF Samsung is haulting production this is something that effects ALL note 7's worldwide. THey know something is up

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
We went to a concert last night. I powered off my phone, placed it in a Pyrex plate and left it on the stove. I don't want to get rid of this phone, but petty crazy when you feel like you need to do this

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Bad News Today it went Global Samsung is shutting down Note 7 for good, so everyone has to return there Note 7, so no OTA updates either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08