Note 7 - Samsung Burning/Exploding Issue Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

themikeyt

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Funny how people are trying to 'argue' in keeping the phone. But, in the end, Samsung says "Power it off." They stand to lose millions, so, I think their has to be some credibility to these claims.

I think they will do a full recall, refunds etc, and cut their loses. Then they will issue updates to brick phones, because, they are not gonna to take the chance that someone who is using the phone will be injured, and sue. Wonderful phone, but, it's a phone. The S7 Edge is a great phone too. I went from a Note 4 to this. I am sure I'll be happy with the S7 Edge..

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Funny how people are trying to 'argue' in keeping the phone. But, in the end, Samsung says "Power it off." They stand to lose millions, so, I think their has to be some credibility to these claims.

I think they will do a full recall, refunds etc, and cut their loses. Then they will issue updates to brick phones, because, they are not gonna to take the chance that someone who is using the phone will be injured, and sue. Wonderful phone, but, it's a phone. The S7 Edge is a great phone too. I went from a Note 4 to this. I am sure I'll be happy with the S7 Edge..

Hey guys, so this afternoon before Samsung said the safe note 7 is a hazard to I went into best buy and exchanged it. I miss it but I am so fed up of the headache constantly and having to worry about explosion.
I got the s7 edge in pink gold color. It was seamless besides the smart switch transfer that took a while using cable too.
I am OK with this phone however it is nothing compared to note 7 . It will grow on me with time and now it's time to move on. What are y'all going to do keep or return?

timmo

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Only 32gb with S7E. I came from Note 4 as well. I really wish I held onto it. Verizon - I will pay you $125 to get one back!

Looking at LG V20 or Google Pixel XL. Ugh...I really want a Samsung phone! I don't think S7E is gonna work for me.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Samsung for giving me over two weeks and maybe possibly 4 weeks with my replacement note 7.. it has been my buddy and I still love it....but it's not leaving my hands until I have confirmation from T-Mobile that I have a preordered lg v20 or I have picked up a lg v20 in store....still enjoying the device.....too bad the new gear vr no longer works due to the oculus update that prevents all note 7s from being able to use it....

Lol its all good cause I still have my note5 and if i read right somewhere, I can use the vr on it so I'm good. Lol.

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
That V20 looks pretty sweet. Still have my 7, typing this onnit right now. Was able to return my ZAGG HD screen protector to Best Buy Today and my Bodygardz to AT&T. When asked why I was returning, I said they are recalling all these phones so I should be able to return my accessories. Both said cool and give me my money back. Worth a shot if you are stuck with a few things. Phone and case will go back to Verizon in the next few days.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just left AT&T. Returned my Note 7, but they let me keep all of the stuff in the box. Not the stylus though. Was going to get the 7 Edge, but they didn't have any. Took it as a sign from the powers that be that I'm not to have a new phone right now. Left the store with nothing but paperwork.

It's probably for the better that you didn't get an S7 EDGE as there are tons of spontaneously combusting S7 EDGES as well. I personally don't think they're any safer than the Note7 and wouldn't be surprised at all if the next recall concerned those.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's probably for the better that you didn't get an S7 EDGE as there are tons of spontaneously combusting S7 EDGES as well. I personally don't think they're any safer than the Note7 and wouldn't be surprised at all if the next recall concerned those.
It's been six months now since release. If they were that at risk, I'm sure the S7/Edge would have been recalled by now. I have two S7 Edge phones and have never been worried about mine. I used the VR with one of them once when I got the free VR and it got hot but not that hot. I never used the VR again because I was not impressed with it. That's was the only time the phones get hot.

Setzer

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Do we have any info on the replacement N7's that have caught fire, like where they were manufactured? I know some were mfg. in China, Korea, and Vietnam. Just curious if one of these plants is the source of the defective phones.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
It's been six months now since release. If they were that at risk, I'm sure the S7/Edge would have been recalled by now. I have two S7 Edge phones and have never been worried about mine. I used the VR with one of them once when I got the free VR and it got hot but not that hot. I never used the VR again because I was not impressed with it. That's was the only time the phones get hot.

I'm sure there have been a few that have. Even Iphones as you see have a few that done that, but NOWHERE near what the Note 7 does. If the S7 had the Note7 problem there would have been hundreds of cases within the first few weeks since they sell a lot more S line phones than notes.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There have? I searched yesterday for any incidents prior to August 1st and couldn't find any reports.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there have been a few that have. Even Iphones as you see have a few that done that, but NOWHERE near what the Note 7 does. If the S7 had the Note7 problem there would have been hundreds of cases within the first few weeks since they sell a lot more S line phones than notes.
Roughly 25 million S7 & S7 Edge devices in consumer hands (combined) compared to 1 to 1.5 million Note 7 devices in consumer hands. Approx 20 times the amount of devices in the wild.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Roughly 25 million S7 & S7 Edge devices in consumer hands (combined) compared to 1 to 1.5 million Note 7 devices in consumer hands. Approx 20 times the amount of devices in the wild.

Wow, that's a lot. I figured maybe 15 million combined.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
There have? I searched yesterday for any incidents prior to August 1st and couldn't find any reports.

Before August 10, there were very few reports of any phone combusting as people were probably not reporting them or because Samsung tried to keep things from escalating. In the last four weeks, however, there were 6 different reports of S7 EDGES burning / blowing up, one of them was even video-taped as it happened in a restaurant. The phone was just lying on the table as the customer was placing her order when it suddenly exploded and the restaurant had to be evacuated. With the S7 EDGEs it's the same pattern as with the Note7: phones just blowing up / burning while people aren't using them.

There have been some anecdotal reports of iPhones combusting but all of them seem to have been caused by previously damaged / repaired phones and in most cases when charging - which is the (unfortunately) 'normal' way of things going down with Li Io batteries.

Personally, I'm steering clear of Samsung phones as I'm relatively sure the S7 EDGE will be next, just from the pattern of how those things burn being exactly the same as with the Note7. Which is, to be honest, not very surprising as these phones are virtually identical inside.

I'm truly amazed at how some people can still be loyal to a company after all of this (including clear evidence that said company tried to hide the truth from the public) happening and considering that their only semi-decent alternative being affected by the same issue to some degree of likelihood. But it's not my money / house / family I guess. I used to love Samsung and I absolutely adored my Note 7 - but enough is enough. How does the saying go? Other fathers also have beautiful daughters.

Last edited:

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I am obviously totally speculating here, but is there
any chance that one or more disgruntled Samsung
employees could have pulled off a sabotage on a
few hundred Note 7 phones?

I have no problem believing that Samsung rushed
the original Note 7 to market and missed something
during QA. However, I find it extremely hard to
believe that they could have allowed a replacement
"safe" Note 7 to end up in customer hands and
catch fire again....

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
If the s7 edge was a bomb too then it would not wait for 5 to 6 months to blow up. I get the lack of trust in samsung I feel it too but ya I got s7 edge today instead of my replacement note 7. I don't like look and feel of other brands ....sigh..

Status
Not open for further replies.