Why You Shouldn't Judge So Quickly

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. There needs to be an investigation, Samsung needs to interview the people that the phones burned up and hopefully find a common denominator to narrow down the cause, phones in pockets causing to much heat, dropping and so on. And Samsung needs to tell these people that they will be taken care of irregardless of their answers so they get the full truth so they can narrow it down. I am more interested in getting the answers so it can be fixed. This is to good of a phone to just walk away from it. Fix it and call it note 8 far as I'm concerned.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Exactly. There needs to be an investigation, Samsung needs to interview the people that the phones burned up and hopefully find a common denominator to narrow down the cause, phones in pockets causing to much heat, dropping and so on. And Samsung needs to tell these people that they will be taken care of irregardless of their answers so they get the full truth so they can narrow it down. I am more interested in getting the answers so it can be fixed. This is to good of a phone to just walk away from it. Fix it and call it note 8 far as I'm concerned.

I think the what-ifs are more concerning. Having now seen that Samsung is suspending production of the phone paired with carriers not selling it, all without much of a word from Samsung is beyond weird.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the what-ifs are more concerning. Having now seen that Samsung is suspending production of the phone paired with carriers not selling it, all without much of a word from Samsung is beyond weird.
If I was a company I would suspend it also to find out what's going on. There is no need to keep building them and putting more money into it if there a fault that needs changed. Address the issue head on and make changes. there is no reason to keep selling them untill the issue is fixed. If the issue is not found, can't be fixed, or they drop the n7 there is no reason to add more people to the list of returns. They are suspending to find and hopefully fix problem before handing them out to more people. IMO, it's the responsible thing any company can do. It's better then keep selling them and hope the problem goes away. Samsung is getting crucified for trying to the right things. These things take time give Samsung the time to do it.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Weird? Its pretty much exactly what I would expect. Halt production and sales until they figure out what's going on.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If I was a company I would suspend it also to find out what's going on. There is no need to keep building them and putting more money into it if there a fault that needs changed. Address the issue head on and make changes. there is no reason to keep selling them untill the issue is fixed. If the issue is not found, can't be fixed, or they drop the n7 there is no reason to add more people to the list of returns. They are suspending to find and hopefully fix problem before handing them out to more people. IMO, it's the responsible thing any company can do. It's better then keep selling them and hope the problem goes away. Samsung is getting crucified for trying to the right things. These things take time give Samsung the time to do it.
I don't think they did the right thing. I don't believe this problem was ever the battery alone. It is the interaction of the battery with the hardware. Either Samsung didn't take the time to find the issue and just guessed battery (bad) or they know what it is but it is so basic to the design it would require a super expensive complete redesign of the flawed N7 (worse). Either way there was no point in this process in which they did the right thing. They did the least they could do to avoid a government enforced complete recall. Jmo.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

In the face of an investigation and slowing demand, I don't think it's particularly surprising that they would adjust the production schedule.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they did the right thing. I don't believe this problem was ever the battery alone. It is the interaction of the battery with the hardware. Either Samsung didn't take the time to find the issue and just guessed battery (bad) or they know what it is but it is so basic to the design it would require a super expensive complete redesign of the flawed N7 (worse). Either way there was no point in this process in which they did the right thing. They did the least they could do to avoid a government enforced complete recall. Jmo.
They might not have taken the time to figure the whole problem out. We were over here whining when is our new note coming, they were trying to please the people. That is where they made the mistake... They should have tested further and not rush for the people.

In the future all phone manufacturers have learned to just pull the phone, fix it and reissue it.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I like my note 7, I have a pair Gear IconX, a Gear S2 Watch, I use Samsung pay on a daily base. I am rooted into the Samsung ecosystem. However, the note 7 while works well for me, it's creating a whole different set of issue. I will have a harder time traveling, especially flying with it and with all the negative spotlight on the phone, I will not be able to sell it on Ebay when I am ready to move to my next phone. I honestly don't know what is my best option at this point. Pixel looks funny to me, and the lack of waterproof/resist and wireless charging makes me pause... especially at that price point.
I am considering iPhone 7plus, but again, the lack of wireless charging and the fact it's an iOS device makes me pause.

Anyone else is ready to ditch note 7 but have no idea where to go next?

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Yea, not quite ready to ditch, but waiting for more info. But let me say re: iPhone 7 Plus, my wife has disconnect issues and calling issues. i.e. in an area where we use to get disconnects with older phones, it happened again and another wierd calling/connecting issue. Not sure what up, done all the setting changes suggested. Another thing, we were hiking out of cell coverage this weekend. I was using MapMyHike and it was tracking fine. I had her turn on her tracker & it couldn't find us.

On the issue of what phone to get, what is the Phablet phone with the grande' battery, 4000 or 5000mah? I picked one up at Mobile World Congress, nice workmanship, can't remember who it was.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Could also be more than one failure mode. Battery, hardware, software. The problem with forensics in these type failures is that the evidence must likely gets destroyed.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Weird? Its pretty much exactly what I would expect. Halt production and sales until they figure out what's going on.

What I was more getting at is that some call the way people are responding to the N7 problems as an overreaction. I think the halt in production and carriers backing out is all the justification one needs to back away from this phone.

Devil13n

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Could it be that Samsung can't find the problem because there might not actually be one?

I know we should probably believe everything thrown up on the internet as true, but what's the total on the number at this point? What's the research that's been done on these phones? Could they have been abused or somehow tampered with?

The torches and pitchforks are already out so it hardly matters.

Just a thought.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Could it be that Samsung can't find the problem because there might not actually be one?

I know we should probably believe everything thrown up on the internet as true, but what's the total on the number at this point? What's the research that's been done on these phones? Could they have been abused or somehow tampered with?

Just a thought.

That's a possibility. It's also possible Samsung is taking a 'wait and see' approach in an effort to determine the scope of the issue. I think we can all agree that a dozen phones out of a million is an acceptable failure rate (over the life of the phone), however these are relatively new phones becoming symptomatic with a 'fixed' issue.

Another possibility is that Samsung is just hunkering down. Obviously this isn't going to put them out of business, Samsung's core is electronics, cell phones are but a part of that; but there's no sense on their part to borrow trouble. They issued one recall, to issue another or acknowledge an issue with the replacement devices after the US CEO hopped on YouTube with his heart-felt apology could perhaps paint the company in an unfavorable light.

So they sit quietly and wait.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Just a thought.
Well the CPSC called out 90+ cases just in the USA during the first wave of phones that led to the recall.

Now we have 7 media reports of failures in the USA already plus several more across the globe.

There's a problem.

neutron

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
While I agree with not jumping to conclusions .. Seeing carriers and such stopping sales wasn't done by some "click bait" article. They had to have some evidence. Even Samsung admitted they stopped producing the Note 7 for now so I think it is safe to say people aren't just jumping to conclusions.

Samsung reportedly suspends Galaxy Note 7 production | Android Central
True. But the burden is again on the consumer for either accepting bodily risk or financial risk because the carrier's best interests are satisfied whether we keep a device of swap to a device of lesser cost.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I like my note 7, I have a pair Gear IconX, a Gear S2 Watch, I use Samsung pay on a daily base. I am rooted into the Samsung ecosystem. However, the note 7 while works well for me, it's creating a whole different set of issue. I will have a harder time traveling, especially flying with it and with all the negative spotlight on the phone, I will not be able to sell it on Ebay when I am ready to move to my next phone. I honestly don't know what is my best option at this point. Pixel looks funny to me, and the lack of waterproof/resist and wireless charging makes me pause... especially at that price point.
I am considering iPhone 7plus, but again, the lack of wireless charging and the fact it's an iOS device makes me pause.

I feel the exact same way. LOVE my Samsung devices and have wireless chargers at home and work. This sux :(

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site

IF i have to switch (if they disable my phone), i will either hold out for the S8 or i might go for a S7E. I like the wirelss charging and have bought a car dock for that so i will go with a phone that has wireless charging.

Worst case i will go back to my cracked screen 5s and get one of those wireless charging cases for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool