Has there been a single faulty device recorded in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Question is in the subject, but I am wondering with all of these reports coming out of the US, I am yet to hear devices in Canada lighting up. Is there a difference where the US devices are being made vs. Canadian devices? I know one recent report identified a factory in Vietnam, but my Note 7 is made in China. Regardless my phone is discharged to 25% and powered off now until Samsung gives some concrete direction.

Thoughts/comments?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall seeing any reports out of Canada but they may not have been brought to the attention of the media.

Also it could just be a numbers game. I don't know exact sales figures for Canada but I'd guess it's only 5-10% of US sales making the likelihood of a failure much lower and the chance of it being reported to the media even lower.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
You cannot possibly tell me that Samsung sold only 22,000 Note 7 devices in Canada...Apple sells more devices than that in a few minutes on a launch weekend. This is interesting though because even with a smaller market, I don't recall any failures reported in Canada at all.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Same in Europe - only a handful phones sold. Not because people don't like Samsung phones here but because they started selling them two weeks later here than in the US and they stopped sales like a day after they had started.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
From that same link:

“Samsung understands the concern of Canadian consumers following U.S.-based reports related to replacement Note 7 devices. There have been no reported incidents with replacement Note 7s in Canada.
As I believed was the case. Unfortunately because Samsung cannot be certain as to the cause of the problem and the damage this is doing to their brand we all do not get to play with our new toys any more. It's a sad day for mobile world and nobody will benefit from this, not the environment and certainly not the consumer. I think personally I am most concerned about the defection to Apple and the artificial boost in sales they are going to see as a result of this. Speaking as an Apple user, nobody gets to benefit from their closed ecosystem and the recent arrogance as manifested through the removal of the headphone jack.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
From that same link:

“Samsung understands the concern of Canadian consumers following U.S.-based reports related to replacement Note 7 devices. There have been no reported incidents with replacement Note 7s in Canada.

Yes, but do you want to take the risk? There were only 22,000 sold in Canada, VS over a million in the USA. Odds are far greater there.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but do you want to take the risk? There were only 22,000 sold in Canada, VS over a million in the USA. Odds are far greater there.
I don't believe those sales numbers to be frank. The US is a 10x larger market. It makes no sense for sales to be 50x larger in the US. I don't think it is about risk either. If Samsung pulls the plug on the device all-together (hasn't quite happened yet, officially), then a recall will apply to Canada as well and that's that. I had two (three actually) Note 7 devices all performing flawlessly but I will follow Samsung's instructions as required.

Status
Not open for further replies.