If we keep them can we expect future OTA updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I love my Note 7, there is no other phone that compares to it. The S7 Edge does not have USB-C which I have already heavily invested in new cables, adapters, accessories. The Pixel does not have expandable storage which is important to me. Neither have the Iris Scanner which I use all the time, the AOD which I have come to depend on, and obviously the SPen. Basically, my Note 7 does everything I want it to and more.

If Samsung is stopping sales and encouraging everyone to turn their phones in, if I choose to keep my phone, that's my business and my own risk I've assumed to take on. The one thing that makes me think twice (other than the obvious reason they are being recalled) is if they are stopping sales on the Note 7 indefinitely, does that mean future OTA updates are no longer going to happen? IE no Nougat, etc? When I bought the phone I anticipated at minimum 24 months of updates as I finance my phone on a 24 month cycle, and am not getting another until it is paid off.

I know this whole situation is kind of unprecedented, but what is everyone's thoughts on the Note 7 and the future of OTA updates?

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
With AT&T (my carrier) stopping sales of it and Samsung halting production. I doubt we see Nougat update on it now or anytime. I'm happy with mine no other phone compares.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If the N7 is officially discontinued, Samsung has no obligation to deliver software updates. And why spend time and money to give a defunct model updates?

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Nah, it's toast. Why would Samsung and the carrier's spend the money to keep it updated? Sad but it's over. Just get a Pixel or iPhone and enjoy fantastic timely support for years.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Nah, it's toast. Why would Samsung and the carrier's spend the money to keep it updated? Sad but it's over. Just get a Pixel or iPhone and enjoy fantastic timely support for years.
Pixel is a Google experiment. Version 1 tech. I would not recommend getting one based on my experience with version 1 of anything. To each their own though. As far as the new iPhone goes, for somebody who was already on a 6s series (6s Plus in my case), the new iPhone is junk. New color, same old crap.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Pixel is a Google experiment. Version 1 tech. I would not recommend getting one based on my experience with version 1 of anything. To each their own though. As far as the new iPhone goes, for somebody who was already on a 6s series (6s Plus in my case), the new iPhone is junk. New color, same old crap.

Well you've got it all figured out but this isn't HTCs first manufacturing experience nor is it Googles first coding venture.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I love my Note 7, there is no other phone that compares to it. The S7 Edge does not have USB-C which I have already heavily invested in new cables, adapters, accessories. The Pixel does not have expandable storage which is important to me. Neither have the Iris Scanner which I use all the time, the AOD which I have come to depend on, and obviously the SPen. Basically, my Note 7 does everything I want it to and more.

If Samsung is stopping sales and encouraging everyone to turn their phones in, if I choose to keep my phone, that's my business and my own risk I've assumed to take on. The one thing that makes me think twice (other than the obvious reason they are being recalled) is if they are stopping sales on the Note 7 indefinitely, does that mean future OTA updates are no longer going to happen? IE no Nougat, etc? When I bought the phone I anticipated at minimum 24 months of updates as I finance my phone on a 24 month cycle, and am not getting another until it is paid off.

I know this whole situation is kind of unprecedented, but what is everyone's thoughts on the Note 7 and the future of OTA updates?

So basically you may have a 24 month time bomb. What happens if it catches fire during that time, you realize you will not get a replacement right? You will still have to pay for it and get another phone. I would move on.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
If a compulsory recall comes, I'm sure you do not want to keep it, as they will put some form of limit on your phone like the first round.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Samsung has told people to stop using the phone and get a refund--WORLDWIDE. Extremely, extremely slim chance that they support it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If Samsung halts production... I'm guessing even if they resume at some point in the future, the current units are SOL for any update... Except the one that gimps the phone, rendering it useless.

Rage against the dying of the light if you wish, but the phone's dead. The carriers, retail outlets and government agencies took that decision out of Samsung's hands this time...

I just can't see Samsung devoting much of any effort on this thing anymore.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Well you've got it all figured out but this isn't HTCs first manufacturing experience nor is it Googles first coding venture.
Version 1 is version 1. It does not matter that they went ODM. Pixel also isn't like Nexus. Verizon versions for one won't even get updates outside of the carrier. As for Google's credibility with software releases, ask Nexus owners and others how many issues seem to creep up each time Google changes the version of Android. You're entitled to your opinion, as am I, but my advice regarding the Pixel phone is to hold off.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone saying there will be no new updates? There will absolutely be updates that disable features and limit the battery and tell you to shut it off immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.