10-11-2016 08:43 AM
32 12
tools
    I love my Note 7, there is no other phone that compares to it. The S7 Edge does not have USB-C which I have already heavily invested in new cables, adapters, accessories. The Pixel does not have expandable storage which is important to me. Neither have the Iris Scanner which I use all the time, the AOD which I have come to depend on, and obviously the SPen. Basically, my Note 7 does everything I want it to and more.

If Samsung is stopping sales and encouraging everyone to turn their phones in, if I choose to keep my phone, that's my business and my own risk I've assumed to take on. The one thing that makes me think twice (other than the obvious reason they are being recalled) is if they are stopping sales on the Note 7 indefinitely, does that mean future OTA updates are no longer going to happen? IE no Nougat, etc? When I bought the phone I anticipated at minimum 24 months of updates as I finance my phone on a 24 month cycle, and am not getting another until it is paid off.

I know this whole situation is kind of unprecedented, but what is everyone's thoughts on the Note 7 and the future of OTA updates?
    10-10-2016 06:02 PM
    With AT&T (my carrier) stopping sales of it and Samsung halting production. I doubt we see Nougat update on it now or anytime. I'm happy with mine no other phone compares.
    10-10-2016 06:04 PM
    If the N7 is officially discontinued, Samsung has no obligation to deliver software updates. And why spend time and money to give a defunct model updates?
    10-10-2016 06:07 PM
    probably just an update which installs a prompt that discourages you from using it. Sad.
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    10-10-2016 06:07 PM
    Nah, it's toast. Why would Samsung and the carrier's spend the money to keep it updated? Sad but it's over. Just get a Pixel or iPhone and enjoy fantastic timely support for years.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    10-10-2016 06:12 PM
    But my S-pen
    10-10-2016 06:40 PM
    The carriers aren't going to spend the money to test and put out any updates for a phone they no longer sell.
    10-10-2016 06:42 PM
    Bro its dead, move on.
    jamesrick80 likes this.
    10-10-2016 06:43 PM
    Nah, it's toast. Why would Samsung and the carrier's spend the money to keep it updated? Sad but it's over. Just get a Pixel or iPhone and enjoy fantastic timely support for years.
    Pixel is a Google experiment. Version 1 tech. I would not recommend getting one based on my experience with version 1 of anything. To each their own though. As far as the new iPhone goes, for somebody who was already on a 6s series (6s Plus in my case), the new iPhone is junk. New color, same old crap.
    10-10-2016 06:44 PM
    Absolutely Not. Samsung barely updates their current phones.
    drty_e likes this.
    10-10-2016 06:45 PM
    Pixel is a Google experiment. Version 1 tech. I would not recommend getting one based on my experience with version 1 of anything. To each their own though. As far as the new iPhone goes, for somebody who was already on a 6s series (6s Plus in my case), the new iPhone is junk. New color, same old crap.
    Well you've got it all figured out but this isn't HTCs first manufacturing experience nor is it Googles first coding venture.
    mightyfacundo likes this.
    10-10-2016 06:46 PM
    I love my Note 7, there is no other phone that compares to it. The S7 Edge does not have USB-C which I have already heavily invested in new cables, adapters, accessories. The Pixel does not have expandable storage which is important to me. Neither have the Iris Scanner which I use all the time, the AOD which I have come to depend on, and obviously the SPen. Basically, my Note 7 does everything I want it to and more.

If Samsung is stopping sales and encouraging everyone to turn their phones in, if I choose to keep my phone, that's my business and my own risk I've assumed to take on. The one thing that makes me think twice (other than the obvious reason they are being recalled) is if they are stopping sales on the Note 7 indefinitely, does that mean future OTA updates are no longer going to happen? IE no Nougat, etc? When I bought the phone I anticipated at minimum 24 months of updates as I finance my phone on a 24 month cycle, and am not getting another until it is paid off.

I know this whole situation is kind of unprecedented, but what is everyone's thoughts on the Note 7 and the future of OTA updates?
    So basically you may have a 24 month time bomb. What happens if it catches fire during that time, you realize you will not get a replacement right? You will still have to pay for it and get another phone. I would move on.
    10-10-2016 06:49 PM
    Approximately zero updates. No security updates, no Nougat, no Oreo.
    10-10-2016 07:01 PM
    If a compulsory recall comes, I'm sure you do not want to keep it, as they will put some form of limit on your phone like the first round.
    10-10-2016 07:07 PM
    Short answer.....No
    10-10-2016 07:08 PM
    Samsung has told people to stop using the phone and get a refund--WORLDWIDE. Extremely, extremely slim chance that they support it.
    10-10-2016 07:25 PM
    If Samsung halts production... I'm guessing even if they resume at some point in the future, the current units are SOL for any update... Except the one that gimps the phone, rendering it useless.

Rage against the dying of the light if you wish, but the phone's dead. The carriers, retail outlets and government agencies took that decision out of Samsung's hands this time...

I just can't see Samsung devoting much of any effort on this thing anymore.
    10-10-2016 07:39 PM
    Well you've got it all figured out but this isn't HTCs first manufacturing experience nor is it Googles first coding venture.
    Version 1 is version 1. It does not matter that they went ODM. Pixel also isn't like Nexus. Verizon versions for one won't even get updates outside of the carrier. As for Google's credibility with software releases, ask Nexus owners and others how many issues seem to creep up each time Google changes the version of Android. You're entitled to your opinion, as am I, but my advice regarding the Pixel phone is to hold off.
    10-10-2016 09:26 PM
    $900 paperweight and hand warmer. DOA for updates.
    10-10-2016 09:57 PM
    Why is everyone saying there will be no new updates? There will absolutely be updates that disable features and limit the battery and tell you to shut it off immediately.
    10-10-2016 10:10 PM
    I never thought about Samsung sending out an update that will possibly shut our phones down and make sure they wont power back on... It would be very difficult to use my phone with that big 1 on my setting icon. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that point. In the mean time I'm holding on to my N7 for as long as possible. At what point will T-Mobile care if I still have the N7? Also in the mean time I'm still going to be charged $32.50 a month. If Samsung and T-Mobile really don't want us to use it they will send out an update and disable the phone and stop charging us for the phone...but that wont happen.
    10-10-2016 10:19 PM
    Why is everyone saying there will be no new updates? There will absolutely be updates that disable features and limit the battery and tell you to shut it off immediately.
    You forgot the on-screen message,"See you at S8-till then, bye. 👋
    10-10-2016 10:21 PM
    Don't buy an iPhone. Unless you want a future of phones without the headphone jack.
    10-11-2016 01:56 AM
    I would say no since they asked everyone to power them down.
    natehoy likes this.
    10-11-2016 02:20 AM
    This is bull
    Joeykool likes this.
    10-11-2016 07:09 AM
32 12