Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

Wait. That's pretty much every Android flagship released so far minus the Pixel and Zenfone 3 Deluxe 256GB.

What makes this weirder is that both utilize an Adreno 530. Maybe there are other small changes?

I was under the impression that the 821 is a revised 820 with slightly higher clocks and a revised modem plus other small tweaks.

Your problem is that you're thinking about the actual capabilities and not money. Qualcomm does this to sell a revision bump as an upgraded design. They are a horrible company in that regard. The 820 can probably do most everything GL ES 3.2 needs to do to run the UI at the high frame rate and refresh speed required, but Qualcomm won't write the software to do it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Your problem is that you're thinking about the actual capabilities and not money. Qualcomm does this to sell a revision bump as an upgraded design. They are a horrible company in that regard. The 820 can probably do most everything GL ES 3.2 needs to do to run the UI at the high frame rate and refresh speed required, but Qualcomm won't write the software to do it.
Ah yes. Always the money.

I still find that bad, though. There's no excuse to why an identical chip isn't able to run a newer version of the software.

It's not like the 800/801 and the 805, where they can at least use an excuse with the 805's upgraded GPU.

In this case, I don't think they are able to excuse themselves. If Qualcomm does this, they'll probably be in some hot water.

Oh well, we've seen this happen lots of times before, so unless something happens that causes their wallets to bleed dry, we'd see more of that happening.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Ah yes. Always the money.

I still find that bad, though. There's no excuse to why an identical chip isn't able to run a newer version of the software.

It's not like the 800/801 and the 805, where they can at least use an excuse with the 805's upgraded GPU.

In this case, I don't think they are able to excuse themselves. If Qualcomm does this, they'll probably be in some hot water.

Oh well, we've seen this happen lots of times before, so unless something happens that causes their wallets to bleed dry, we'd see more of that happening.

LOL. They just did it with Android 7. If the Nexus 5 had been scheduled to get Nougat, Google would have a lawyer force the update from Qualcomm. It wasn't. Sony, OnePlus, Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, ZTE and ASUS declined to pressure them.

Derp edit. Funny thing is they had development software running on the 800 that did it. they just never released a final version (that's what screwed Sony)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
LOL. They just did it with Android 7. If the Nexus 5 had been scheduled to get Nougat, Google would have a lawyer force the update from Qualcomm. It wasn't. Sony, OnePlus, Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, ZTE and ASUS declined to pressure them.

Derp edit. Funny thing is they had development software running on the 800 that did it. they just never released a final version (that's what screwed Sony)
And as such, the likes of XDA will have to do their dirty work for those who are willing to enter the dark side of rooting.

Someday, I wish we would have phones that are capable of officially going for at least 3 Android version updates, but then I'd be living in some sort of utopia.

And that XPERIA Z3 dev preview thing just made it odd.

Also worth noting that I have an SD400-powered device on Nougat. XD

Unfortunately, as it's custom, it's broken.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Time to switch

they seem to burn / explode just as frequently as the Note7 :-/
Crap! Man, I'm so invested in Samsung, I don't want to go to a whole new phone. Don't like CRAPple. BlackBerry Priv not all apps can be ported over. No to Windows. LG v10 is too wide. Ugh. I don't know now.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Google will make that easy, which is smart — keep a very small but very vocal group of people satisfied enough to stay quiet and behave themselves lol.

It will be a little more stuttery and some hardware features (radios, storage controller versions, etc) will have to be older versions, but it will work well enough. I figure we have about 6 months before Galaxy S6 people revolt because their bootloader is locked and they see Android 7.1 + Assistant custom ROMs everywhere.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Google will make that easy, which is smart — keep a very small but very vocal group of people satisfied enough to stay quiet and behave themselves lol.

It will be a little more stuttery and some hardware features (radios, storage controller versions, etc) will have to be older versions, but it will work well enough. I figure we have about 6 months before Galaxy S6 people revolt because their bootloader is locked and they see Android 7.1 + Assistant custom ROMs everywhere.
I'd like that, given how I am a tinkerer, particularly with my older phones. ;)

Oh well. Maybe we'll see more security patches coming in at least. That's the big one IMO.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

The Deluxe Special Edition has the Snapdragon 821 with 6GB RAM. Only thing I don't like about it is the price tag of $799. For $499, I can get the regular Deluxe with the Snapdragon 820, also has 6GB RAM. I don't see paying a $300 premium for a. Snapdragon 821.

The 821 is just a souped up 820

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

So Jerry, you are basically saying don't buy the V20 due to the possibility of no Android O?

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

tl;dr — you need at least a Snapdragon 821 if you want to be sure you can run the next Android update.

That sucks big time. I was suggesting the V20 as a replacement for a friend's Note 7. She said no way already, but would probably cuss me out if there was no update next year.

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

tl;dr — you need at least a Snapdragon 821 if you want to be sure you can run the next Android update.

That sucks big time. I was suggesting the V20 as a replacement for a friend's Note 7. She said no way already, but would probably cuss me out if there was no update next year.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

Not a good situation at the moment as there simply are no comparable alternatives....and in 2 weeks I start flying weekly so I am going to have to make some sort of move.....

Honestly, this was / is a great phone without the gimmick curved screen the precludes a viable screen protector. Other than that this phone has everything I wanted.

IF we are forced to switch, I haven't a clue what to so. The 7 Edge has worse edges the S7 has too small of a screen, the V20 coming out isn't waterproof and has a lesser quality screen and the iPhone 7 plus just isn't user friendly if you take a lot of pictures and constantly need to sort them into individual files, plug into your computer and easily transfer things, etc.

I am starting to think that the only realistic alternative that is remotely close is to go backwards and find a new or lightly used Note 5. Worse battery life, no waterproofing, no additional storage.

Don't really want to go with an S7 and get stuck living with it. My eyes and work need the bigger screen.....

The V20 will not have a ' lesser' screen.

I had an Elephone P9000 and the thin film LCD was SUPERB. It was in most ways better than Samsungs Amoled. For a start whites where pristine white and colour reproduction more natural. All mostly due to the new LG thin film displays. Everything seems to float right on top of the display.

Samsungs Amoleds have about a millimeter of glass above it, probably with a gap in between.

Wait till you hold one before jumping to conclusions.

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge or Note 5?

I had the S7E before I went to my Note 7 and the screen cracked while I was outside at the pool. I did not drop it in any way, it was on a little table next to my chair and I was using it off and on during the afternoon. When I picked it up about 15 mins later, the screen was cracked diagonally. I ended up paying my insurance deductible to get a replacement since I wanted to JUMP to the Note 7, but when I got the replacement, I babied the heck out of the phone in fear it would crack again.

For me, definitely won't go back to the S7E. Other than how fragile the S7E was, I really liked it. I am hoping to find a Note 5 in stock at a store so I can go back to that. I gotta have my S-Pen :D

jerrycau123

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

I understand where you coming from! I tried the v10 and to be honest, I hated that phone... I have used the s7 Edge... Nice phone but no spen... I am with t-mobile and I would like to try the Google Pixel, but Google gave Verizon exclusive rights to there phone!... I just don't understand Google???? Verzion is by far the most expensive carrier and they give you noting but grief!... I hate Verzion with a passion!!!
Thanks Google for cutting most of us out of the mix!

GoldLeader

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

If there is a 2nd recall on the Note 7, my wife is thinking of trying out a Motorola phone this time.
She's only had Apple and Samsung phones so far, but at this point doesn't want either of those brands again.
(She hated the closed nature of Apple products restricting what she could do, and said that she doesn't trust Samsung products anymore.)

She'll miss the stylus from the Note series. She likes to sketch drawings with it.
Though if the rumors of the Microsoft Surface phone with a stylus are true, she may give that a chance.

PeakyBlinder

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

I love my phone but, whilst the stories of the replacement phones are yet to be confirmed by Samsung, I'll gladly (albeit a little reluctantly) hand it in and get a refund. The stigma that is now attached to the phone and the concern that, if they are going to stop making them, the support for the device will probably end too (ie they won't bother upgrading it to Android N). Not sure what phone I'd get but it definitely won't be an iPhone.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Skelp

Strong words from Eric Schiffer, a brand strategy expert at Reputation Management Consultants:

"If the Note 7 is allowed to continue it could lead to the single greatest act of brand self-destruction in the history of modern technology. Samsung needs to take a giant write-down and cast the Note 7 to the engineering hall of shame next to the Ford Pinto."

Things don't get much higher on the disaster scale for a company. The Note 7 name is tarnished and Samsung has to amputate the limb to save the body further contagion.

Status
Not open for further replies.