10-12-2016 09:27 AM
1,439 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    I went with the s7 edge and got it a lot cheaper on Swappa.. If you don't mind buying a used phone you can save some money.
    amyf27 likes this.
    10-10-2016 12:28 PM
    I'm in the same boat I had Note 4 Edge which introduced to me the benefits and use of sPen but the battery and freezing got me to give it up but didn't want Note 5 so I exchanged it for an S7 Edge. S7 Edge turned out good for me and couldn't wait for the next Note. It turned out to be Note 7. As soon as Samsung announced it, I pre-ordered and even paid extra for Jump. If i return this Note 7 i'm out luck and will turn out paying extra for the same S7 Edge or lesser phone I don't think there is a phone out there comparable or as good as the Note 7 because of the sPen.
    10-10-2016 12:38 PM
    The 821 is just a souped up 820
    So Jerry, you are basically saying don't buy the V20 due to the possibility of no Android O?
    That sucks big time. I was suggesting the V20 as a replacement for a friend's Note 7. She said no way already, but would probably cuss me out if there was no update next year.
    Yes. The 821 is just a souped up 820. But one of the areas it was souped in (a faster-running GPU that is the same base version) happens to have made a significant difference, especially with Android 7 and in future versions. It makes a dramatic difference in the way Nougat runs, too, because of so much dependency on the GPU in recent versions of Android, but the 820 still runs Nougat well.

Android 7 requires Open GL ES 3.1+Android extensions or Vulkan to render the UI. The Snapdragon 820 supports these. It does not support any newer graphics APIs. I believe it could, but any support for anything further has to come from Qualcomm.

If the next version of Android requires Open GL ES 3.2 (a safe bet since it's been stable and in use since June of this year) The Snapdragon 820 will not meet the minimum requirements. Qualcomm has always "forgotten" capable chips rather than update them. They no longer manufacture the 820, so they waste no resources on it. If you need Open GL ES 3.2 for your project, you buy a Snapdragon 821 which will be supported. That's fine unless you want to revisit older products and update their software.

If Google gets Android O out the door before the two-year support window for the Nexus 6P is over, they will expect Qualcomm to deliver the software required to support it on the 810 as part of the contract. If they support the 810, they'll likely support the 820. This actually happened with the 2013 Nexus 7. It shipped with Jellybean. The update to KitKat requires a higher version of Open GL than the CPU supported. Qualcomm said no. Google said yes. The back and forth continued until Google was able to force Qualcomm to honor the contract and the Nexus 7 was updated (months after the Nexus 5). We also lost Jean-Baptist Quereu, the man working for Google who was the best friend the Android community ever had over the issue, as he couldn't take that kind of stress again and went to Yahoo to be their senior developer. Thanks, Qulacomm.

Until that happens, you can't count on anything. If you want to be sure whatever you buy will run Android O, you need to buy something with at least a Qualcomm 821 if it has a Qualcomm CPU. I know Bill Yi — the fellow who took over for Mr. Quereu — will fight just as hard for it to happen if it does fall under the support window. I also know the people writing the software will try to get at least a rudimentary version of O out before the two-year period is up. But trying is not the same as being sure.

This could (and probably will one day) be solved through a software graphics API. New games run on older graphics cards on your computer because Open GL or Direct X can filter what the graphics card supports, then not use the things it doesn't support in your game. But for now, things that have a GPU dependency on mobile use direct access to the hardware, so the chip makers support is required. That's a big part of the reason the iPhone gets updated longer and runs better/smoother. Apple makes both the chip and the software. Same thing with Exynos and Galaxy S phones. They can code in support for older versions of the hardware, and make the hardware itself with the future in mind.

Google is trying something similar with the Pixel and an off-the-shelf CPU by tailoring their own Android build to a very specific set of GPU instructions for UI acceleration. But the Android team — not the Google Hardware division who makes the Pixel — still has to have more generic support and a way people like LG or Samsung or Google's hardware division can build their version to support their hardware.

This $hit's hard y'all. Most of us (me included) have no idea exactly how hard it is.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    10-10-2016 12:39 PM
    Took my note 7 back today for a s7 edge.. All done.
    10-10-2016 12:50 PM
    Gonna give the Axon 7 a spin...only major concern is the low light camera performance...if I can't live with it, I will probably end up getting a S7 Edge....
    10-10-2016 12:50 PM
    This absolutely sucks. While I'm not too upset that I'll go with the V20, I'm unhappy that Sammy is obviously hiding something and isn't being forthright in their investigation and communication process. Not sure I'll go back to a Samsung phone - or any other electronic device.

Wifey and I are in the market for a washer, dryer and a dishwasher. No way I'll consider them in the short term. I was never a fanboy, but I did like the Galaxy line (from the S3, Note 3 and up). I had the V10 for the couple weeks before i got my replacement N7 an liked it (the battery was turrrble (Charles Barkley voice), but the rest of the phone was pretty good.

I was in store playing with the V20 just a few minutes ago. I put in the pre-order online and should receive in about 2 weeks. Using my Nexus 5X until then. So disappointed. 4 or 5 friggin phones in a matter of a month. I'm tired of setting these up each time.
    What stores have the v20? I want to go check it out as well.
    10-10-2016 12:54 PM
    I went with the s7 edge and got it a lot cheaper on Swappa.. If you don't mind buying a used phone you can save some money.
    Best Buy also sells refurbed S7 Edges for cheap too, but only the Verizon ones. They also sell new unlocked ones cheaper than buying from the carrier.
    10-10-2016 12:59 PM
    I think I'm going to turn in my replacement Note 7. Thoughts on S7 Edge vs Note 5. I called my local Tmobile stores and they were fully aware of the issue and offering refunds on turning in the replacement Note 7s. I don't have to get another phone there I can get a used one cheaper and just return this for credit but debating.
    i would say Note 5, simply because it has a stylus and that could be useful from time to time.
    10-10-2016 12:59 PM
    It seems a lot are going for the S7 Edge. Will you guys buy the S8 Edge and hold onto the S7 Edge until the Note 8 comes out later in the year?
    10-10-2016 01:01 PM
    It seems a lot are going for the S7 Edge. Will you guys buy the S8 Edge and hold onto the S7 Edge until the Note 8 comes out later in the year?
    I was leaning towards the S7 Edge but second guessing myself now as it's an "older" phone, in terms of release date. The S8 is about 4-5 months out and I can't see paying top dollar for an oldish device. Eyeballing the V20 and a couple others.
    10-10-2016 01:15 PM
    Used it for about 10 days as a loaner but it wouldn't be a multi month or long term solution for me. I'm looking at the V20 now after having G2, G3, G4, V10 as my last 4 phones before switching to the Note 7. Of course I switch, this happens. The LG phone gods didn't like me switching.
    Amele likes this.
    10-10-2016 01:26 PM
    I am not a hardcore tech guy and I am the opposite of an early adopter.

But I needed a new phone, and the Note 7 came out at just the right time.
    And I love it. I really do. I have never had a piece of tech that I have liked this much.

But obviously, there are issues.

I asked on Facebook for input and all anyone there said was “Get an iPhone!”
    So I thought I would ask here for a little help from some people more knowledgeable than I.

I am currently looking at the S7 Edge and Google Pixel as replacements but here are my thoughts/concerns (And remember, I am not a techie):

S7E – It looks and feels almost identical to the Note 7, and the interface is pretty much the same as far as I can tell. But it is a “lesser” phone and only comes in 32 GB. I filled the Note to 20 GB without blinking and don’t want to fill the new phone the day I get it…though I may be overestimating how long it would take to fill the last 12 GB, especially with my music and pictures going to the SD card. I upgraded from a Galaxy S4, so I have worked with the interface for a few years and know it. I also bought at Best Buy, and I know they have these readily available whenever I choose to go in. I already have Micro USB cables floating around, even though I have replaced them with the C. But frankly, I feel a little burned (no pun intended) by Samsung.

Pixel – It definitely isn’t a downgrade, and I have all of these USB C Cables lying around that will be basically useless for years at best. It has the 128 GB which is nice, especially since I would be giving up the SD Card. But I know nothing about it really outside of the technical specs, which mean little to me. What differences are there for the average user vs. the Galaxy series?

I would get something to tide me over until the Note 8, but frankly, I am not that kind of guy and will end up milking whatever phone I buy up until the last breath. I also heard a rumor that the reason the 7’s are exploding is that Samsung upgraded the battery at the last minute to compete with the iPhone 7 and didn’t properly vette it. So my confidence that a rushed Note 8 will be flawless is not high.

Any thoughts? Help? Ideas? Questions?

Thanks!
    10-10-2016 01:26 PM
    Traded my silver note 7 today for a silver s7 edge.. Seems like a very good phone.. I've had note 3 4 5 and 7 and really did not use the pen at all so no loss there.
    10-10-2016 01:43 PM
    Note 8 will not come out probably until late next year. So they have plenty of time to work it over.
    As far as storage on S7 Edge, it can take an SD card up to 256gb. Hence their promotion of either a free Gear VR or 256gb card which unfortunately the purchase deadline ended yesterday. But Samsung always have ongoing promotions, especially now with S7/S7Edge as their 'main' flagship considering what's happening with the Note 7.
    I'm not interested and know nothing about the Pixel so can't help you with that.
    10-10-2016 01:44 PM
    So I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the Pixel XL.

I love my Note 7, but the drama/safety factor is just too high, especially since I will need to fly some in the next year.. I will miss the wireless charging (which I still can't believe the Pixel omitted), the water resistance, and maybe .. maybe the great Note 7 camera. Though one of the factors that made me pull the trigger is how good some of the early user photos look (AA has some great comparison shots taken from the Google event).

So long Note 7, I hardly knew ya! :-(
    10-10-2016 01:45 PM
    Note 8 will not come out probably until late next year. So they have plenty of time to work it over.
    As far as storage on S7 Edge, it can take an SD card up to 256gb. Hence there promotion of either a free Gear VR or 256gb card which unfortunately the purchase deadline ended yesterday. But Samsung always have ongoing promotions, especially now with S7/S7Edge as their 'main' flagship considering what's happening with the Note 7.
    I see what you are saying, but my problem isn't the files that are easily put on the Card, like music and pictures, but apps and other things that live on the phone. I was able to move some apps to the card on my S4, but every time they upgraded, they would move back to the phone so I had an almost daily annoyance of upkeep that I could never get past. And I couldn't find how to move the Apps on the Note 7 to the card, so I assumed it was the same on the Edge.
    10-10-2016 01:48 PM
    I am not a hardcore tech guy and I am the opposite of an early adopter.

But I needed a new phone, and the Note 7 came out at just the right time.
    And I love it. I really do. I have never had a piece of tech that I have liked this much.

But obviously, there are issues....

Pixel – It definitely isn’t a downgrade, and I have all of these USB C Cables lying around that will be basically useless for years at best. It has the 128 GB which is nice, especially since I would be giving up the SD Card. But I know nothing about it really outside of the technical specs, which mean little to me. What differences are there for the average user vs. the Galaxy series? ...
    Thanks!
    I have a replacement Note 7, and I just pulled the trigger on the Pixel XL. I posted the below info to what became the top of this merged thread, I'll copy it here. These are comparisons of what is important to me vs the Note 7. There are other differences for sure, but these are the ones that impact me:

Pros of the Pixel XL :
    - Fast fast fast. Every hands-on, and early "review" talks about just how fast and optimized everything is.
    - Android 7.1 out of the box (cool long press actions, split screen for every app, Doze 2.0, etc)
    - Fast updates (if you don't buy through Verizon - and even then you'll have the newest OS faster than other phones, just way slower than unlocked Pixels)
    - Google Assistant. I love this tech on Allo, I ordered Google Home and Assistant seems great to me.
    - Unlimited Photo and Video storage at full quality on Google Photos

The Pixel XL negatives compared to the Note 7 IMO (the negatives I care about anyway):
    - No waterproofing at all
    - No Wireless charging (uggh, really? in 2016?)
    - Good screen on the Pixel, but not Note 7 quality
    - Rear fingerprint sensor (I keep my phone on the desk next to me a lot. I would now have to pick up the phone every single time to unlock it - yeah I know, #FirstWorldProblems :-)
    - "Pure" Android, or "Google's" Android now. I always found stock Android bland and lacking features compared to TouchWiz. Though the newest OS versions catch up somewhat.

Unknown:
    - Unknown camera quality, sort of. Some early tests and photos I have seen look very very promising, but no credible (for me) reviews of the camera are out yet. These comparison shots of the Pixel from AA look pretty great IMO.
    10-10-2016 01:56 PM
    This absolutely sucks. While I'm not too upset that I'll go with the V20, I'm unhappy that Sammy is obviously hiding something and isn't being forthright in their investigation and communication process. Not sure I'll go back to a Samsung phone - or any other electronic device.

Wifey and I are in the market for a washer, dryer and a dishwasher. No way I'll consider them in the short term. I was never a fanboy, but I did like the Galaxy line (from the S3, Note 3 and up). I had the V10 for the couple weeks before i got my replacement N7 an liked it (the battery was turrrble (Charles Barkley voice), but the rest of the phone was pretty good.

I was in store playing with the V20 just a few minutes ago. I put in the pre-order online and should receive in about 2 weeks. Using my Nexus 5X until then. So disappointed. 4 or 5 friggin phones in a matter of a month. I'm tired of setting these up each time.
    Which store has the V20? I really dont like LG, but I will give it a shot if i can look at it.
    10-10-2016 01:56 PM
    Yes, I know that reads weird, but I really like the upgraded UI for the Note 7, and I have all these USB-C accessories that I can't return.
    Speaking with T-Mobile, I asked how long I have to return my Note, and the operator said that at this time, there is no deadline, but to keep an eye out for one.
    Seeing that we are roughly 4 months away from the S8 being released, do you guys think it's feasible to hold out until the S8 comes out before trading in?
    10-10-2016 02:02 PM
    10-10-2016 02:04 PM
    10-10-2016 02:04 PM
    - "Pure" Android, or "Google's" Android now. I always found stock Android bland and lacking features compared to TouchWiz. Though the newest OS versions catch up somewhat.
    So...not a techie...as mentioned above...
    What are the differences...honestly didn't know that there were multiple versions out there.
    10-10-2016 02:07 PM
    The thought crossed my mind. Then I remembered I don't want another Samsung ever again.
    10-10-2016 02:10 PM
    Unfortunately even if I wanted to return my phone, I bought it through Best Buy. Best Buy in my city is not honoring Verizon's exchange.
    10-10-2016 02:27 PM
    Yes, I know that reads weird, but I really like the upgraded UI for the Note 7, and I have all these USB-C accessories that I can't return.
    Speaking with T-Mobile, I asked how long I have to return my Note, and the operator said that at this time, there is no deadline, but to keep an eye out for one.
    Seeing that we are roughly 4 months away from the S8 being released, do you guys think it's feasible to hold out until the S8 comes out before trading in?
    I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me. I'd at least wait until a worthy option is available (everyone's individual preference and options will vary from situation to situation), and take that (which I did for myself). Most of us didn't or don't want to give up our "perfect phone", but the risks far outweigh the benefits at this particular point, IMO.

Those available options may not be what you prefer to do, but really, you do have options.
    10-10-2016 02:29 PM
1,439 ... 1314151617 ...