Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

My plan is to keep my N7 for the moment. I want to see what the CPSC has to say, as well as the FAA and other agencies. I'm also waiting for some official communication. If I have to move on from th N7, I think I will buy a lesser phone, or move back to a N4, and either get a new S8, or wait until the N8 comes out. The Pixel is too much of an OLD iPhone clone, and I still have quality concerns with LG. I guess I'm in wait and see mode for the moment. The N7 situation is definitely unfortunate. I love the phone and features. But I need to be able to take, and use my phone wherever I go. I think the N7 will be discontinued, and eventually recalled.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

I could cry when I think about how much time wasted here and trying desperately to find recall info and figuring out a replacement phone instead of enjoying my n7

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Time to switch

I can't help feeling Samsung doesn't know what the problem is. I love this phone, and will be sad at losing it, but the drama and uncertainty have gotten to me and I am returning it for a Pixel Xl. Don't trust LG, hated the s7edge, and in the end Note 5 had battery issues and only 64 gb. I can live with 128 gb for a couple of years, but I didn't think I could live with 64gb. Will miss everything about the Note 7, and never meant to return it, but it's too much. The other thing is--I mentioned this in another thread but I think it's interesting--this is the same timeline. The original Notes started melting down or catching fire or whatever about 2 weeks in, and this is about 2 weeks in from when a lot of the replacements were activated. I hope Samsung figures it out, but I can't see any new customers swarming to buy a supposedly, 3rd times a charm, refixed Note 7 which means the carriers have no stake in selling them, which means no updates or support. The guy I talked to at Verizon customer service today said trust him, they were all as sick of the drama and questions and publicity as we are.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

i enjoyed my Note 7 and honestly i dont know what to do... there is no other phone i have interest in... now i hear that they may push the S8 out in Feb... i think they are rushing... which makes me concerned that the S8 will have some issues as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: I see No Viable Alternatives

Curious to why no one ever mentions the Moto Z Force as an option. It may be because it's a Verizon exclusive. It has a shatterproof display, SD card, big 3,500mah battery,Type C fast charge. What am I missing? For those of us on Verizon, it looks to be as good a replacement as any. The reviews look pretty good as well.

The shattershield is one reason why I won't buy it...scratches too easily and I won't put a shield over it. Another big reason is Lenovo broke their promise to update my Droid Maxx and other models to Lollipop. Also the mods don't do anything for since in most cases they add bulk.

Todd Anthony1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

This absolutely sucks. While I'm not too upset that I'll go with the V20, I'm unhappy that Sammy is obviously hiding something and isn't being forthright in their investigation and communication process. Not sure I'll go back to a Samsung phone - or any other electronic device.

Wifey and I are in the market for a washer, dryer and a dishwasher. No way I'll consider them in the short term. I was never a fanboy, but I did like the Galaxy line (from the S3, Note 3 and up). I had the V10 for the couple weeks before i got my replacement N7 an liked it (the battery was turrrble (Charles Barkley voice), but the rest of the phone was pretty good.

I was in store playing with the V20 just a few minutes ago. I put in the pre-order online and should receive in about 2 weeks. Using my Nexus 5X until then. So disappointed. 4 or 5 friggin phones in a matter of a month. I'm tired of setting these up each time.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Imho the v20 hardware is more versatile but in the end the most important feature of the pixel is the software so that's that.

tunic330

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge or Note 5?

Go with the S7E if you don't mind the overly thin bezels. To me it feels like holding a phone backwards, with the screen turned towards my palm. Spec-wise the S7E is a better pick than the Note 5. Which one to get depends on your personal preference.

UP2NoGooD

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: I see No Viable Alternatives

This is probably the saddest thread I have read =( Man I'm so attached to my N7. I actually still have my original with recall warnings and all lol Mine hasn't even gotten warm yet and I just can't find anything else I want to switch with. Plus all these new reprots of replacments also catching fire and some not even charging half full I'm worried I'll get a worse phone once I trade. Never the less new report claim that Samsung has officially stopped production of the Note 7. So that just makes things more confusing. What if my phone really has a issue down the road? Plus resell value will be worth nothing if this thing really does go bad and I want to swap to something else. I do like the Pixel but as many said in these threads no micro USB is the deal breaker. Plus anyone who has the N7 should have taken advantage of the free 256gb micro card offer. Mine is sitting in my drawer until I figure out what route to take. I'm so confused but all this and really wish there was another phone in the market with same specs and extra storage. No matter how much I do side by sides I still can't compare. Either battery life is lower, there is not sd card slot, or slower processor.

PS I called Verizon last week and they told me they extended the exchange date to additional 45 days. So I guess I got about a month now to decide. Time is ticking though.

Last edited:

Todd Anthony1

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I was also flirting with idea of the Lg v10. But that Samsung Pay is so so convenient

I used the V10 in between Note 7s and it was great. The battery was terrible, but the overall experience was good. Going with the V20 instead. Shipping out on or about 10/21.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

I went with the s7 edge and got it a lot cheaper on Swappa.. If you don't mind buying a used phone you can save some money.

rexb

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I'm in the same boat :( I had Note 4 Edge which introduced to me the benefits and use of sPen but the battery and freezing got me to give it up but didn't want Note 5 so I exchanged it for an S7 Edge. S7 Edge turned out good for me and couldn't wait for the next Note. It turned out to be Note 7. As soon as Samsung announced it, I pre-ordered and even paid extra for Jump. If i return this Note 7 i'm out luck and will turn out paying extra for the same S7 Edge or lesser phone :( I don't think there is a phone out there comparable or as good as the Note 7 because of the sPen.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

The 821 is just a souped up 820

So Jerry, you are basically saying don't buy the V20 due to the possibility of no Android O?

That sucks big time. I was suggesting the V20 as a replacement for a friend's Note 7. She said no way already, but would probably cuss me out if there was no update next year.

Yes. The 821 is just a souped up 820. But one of the areas it was souped in (a faster-running GPU that is the same base version) happens to have made a significant difference, especially with Android 7 and in future versions. It makes a dramatic difference in the way Nougat runs, too, because of so much dependency on the GPU in recent versions of Android, but the 820 still runs Nougat well.

Android 7 requires Open GL ES 3.1+Android extensions or Vulkan to render the UI. The Snapdragon 820 supports these. It does not support any newer graphics APIs. I believe it could, but any support for anything further has to come from Qualcomm.

If the next version of Android requires Open GL ES 3.2 (a safe bet since it's been stable and in use since June of this year) The Snapdragon 820 will not meet the minimum requirements. Qualcomm has always "forgotten" capable chips rather than update them. They no longer manufacture the 820, so they waste no resources on it. If you need Open GL ES 3.2 for your project, you buy a Snapdragon 821 which will be supported. That's fine unless you want to revisit older products and update their software.

If Google gets Android O out the door before the two-year support window for the Nexus 6P is over, they will expect Qualcomm to deliver the software required to support it on the 810 as part of the contract. If they support the 810, they'll likely support the 820. This actually happened with the 2013 Nexus 7. It shipped with Jellybean. The update to KitKat requires a higher version of Open GL than the CPU supported. Qualcomm said no. Google said yes. The back and forth continued until Google was able to force Qualcomm to honor the contract and the Nexus 7 was updated (months after the Nexus 5). We also lost Jean-Baptist Quereu, the man working for Google who was the best friend the Android community ever had over the issue, as he couldn't take that kind of stress again and went to Yahoo to be their senior developer. Thanks, Qulacomm.

Until that happens, you can't count on anything. If you want to be sure whatever you buy will run Android O, you need to buy something with at least a Qualcomm 821 if it has a Qualcomm CPU. I know Bill Yi — the fellow who took over for Mr. Quereu — will fight just as hard for it to happen if it does fall under the support window. I also know the people writing the software will try to get at least a rudimentary version of O out before the two-year period is up. But trying is not the same as being sure.

This could (and probably will one day) be solved through a software graphics API. New games run on older graphics cards on your computer because Open GL or Direct X can filter what the graphics card supports, then not use the things it doesn't support in your game. But for now, things that have a GPU dependency on mobile use direct access to the hardware, so the chip makers support is required. That's a big part of the reason the iPhone gets updated longer and runs better/smoother. Apple makes both the chip and the software. Same thing with Exynos and Galaxy S phones. They can code in support for older versions of the hardware, and make the hardware itself with the future in mind.

Google is trying something similar with the Pixel and an off-the-shelf CPU by tailoring their own Android build to a very specific set of GPU instructions for UI acceleration. But the Android team — not the Google Hardware division who makes the Pixel — still has to have more generic support and a way people like LG or Samsung or Google's hardware division can build their version to support their hardware.

This $hit's hard y'all. Most of us (me included) have no idea exactly how hard it is.

Last edited:

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Gonna give the Axon 7 a spin...only major concern is the low light camera performance...if I can't live with it, I will probably end up getting a S7 Edge....

alejovh1#AC

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

This absolutely sucks. While I'm not too upset that I'll go with the V20, I'm unhappy that Sammy is obviously hiding something and isn't being forthright in their investigation and communication process. Not sure I'll go back to a Samsung phone - or any other electronic device.

Wifey and I are in the market for a washer, dryer and a dishwasher. No way I'll consider them in the short term. I was never a fanboy, but I did like the Galaxy line (from the S3, Note 3 and up). I had the V10 for the couple weeks before i got my replacement N7 an liked it (the battery was turrrble (Charles Barkley voice), but the rest of the phone was pretty good.

I was in store playing with the V20 just a few minutes ago. I put in the pre-order online and should receive in about 2 weeks. Using my Nexus 5X until then. So disappointed. 4 or 5 friggin phones in a matter of a month. I'm tired of setting these up each time.

What stores have the v20? I want to go check it out as well.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

I went with the s7 edge and got it a lot cheaper on Swappa.. If you don't mind buying a used phone you can save some money.

Best Buy also sells refurbed S7 Edges for cheap too, but only the Verizon ones. They also sell new unlocked ones cheaper than buying from the carrier.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

I think I'm going to turn in my replacement Note 7. Thoughts on S7 Edge vs Note 5. I called my local Tmobile stores and they were fully aware of the issue and offering refunds on turning in the replacement Note 7s. I don't have to get another phone there I can get a used one cheaper and just return this for credit but debating.

i would say Note 5, simply because it has a stylus and that could be useful from time to time.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

It seems a lot are going for the S7 Edge. Will you guys buy the S8 Edge and hold onto the S7 Edge until the Note 8 comes out later in the year?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It seems a lot are going for the S7 Edge. Will you guys buy the S8 Edge and hold onto the S7 Edge until the Note 8 comes out later in the year?

I was leaning towards the S7 Edge but second guessing myself now as it's an "older" phone, in terms of release date. The S8 is about 4-5 months out and I can't see paying top dollar for an oldish device. Eyeballing the V20 and a couple others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49