10-12-2016 09:27 AM
1,439 ... 5354555657 ...
tools
    I had the S5 in the past quite a while ago it wasn't a bad device by any means. My concern for you is it is significantly smaller screenwise
    Oh ya I know that's a huge downgrade but I want to save my Upgrade til next year so making the sacrifice :/
    10-12-2016 07:30 AM
    Agreed. I am also waiting to hear from the investigation. Supposedly we have until December 31st to decide on exchanging. I want to see if something comparable comes out between now and then. Otherwise I will choose between the Note 5 or S7E. Both are as close as you can get to a Note 7, but Note 7 is better.
    The main substitutes to the note 7 are the s7 edge or the note 5 if you want a stylus. You could also consider the lg v20 or the iPhone 7 plus. One phone that nobody is mentioning is the Huawei mate 9 which should be out around December, and will have a next gen chipset with a73 cores that will only otherwise be seen in 2017.
    10-12-2016 07:31 AM
    Oh ya I know that's a huge downgrade but I want to save my Upgrade til next year so making the sacrifice :/
    Not even talking about downgrade. Can you handle that smaller screen. I can't lol.
    10-12-2016 07:31 AM
    Samsung still is years ahead of apples ancient tech. Your only paying that high cost for iPhone's cause it has a shiny apple emblem on it. Other than that its just a good mid range device. Have fun going back to 2012...
    10-12-2016 07:35 AM
    It seems that everyone is falling all over themselves to jump off the Note 7 ship. Speculation is rampant: production on the phone has been ceased permanently, there will be an OTA update in 30 days that will brick all remaining Note 7s, "Game Over Man!" etc. etc. etc. And yet there is no official confirmation of any of that. All Samsung has actually said is :

1. Stop selling and exchanging Note 7s while the investigation is still taking place.
    2. For your safety, power your Note 7 off while we figure out what's going on.
    3. Customers can return their phones for a refund or exchange if they want.

As far as I know, as of this writing, there is no official second recall from the CPSC. There is no confirmation from Samsung that production has ceased permanently. There is no official confirmation from any carriers that they will never again be selling the Note 7. Now, those things may yet come to pass, but until that fat lady sings I'm not making any changes to my phone situation, and I'm most certainly not going to panic.

Am I the only one?
    How each person deals with this is up to them, but remember since it is a safety issue you may not just be affecting you, but others if you keep it. It's up to you of course. What I see is:

• Samsung is recalling all the phones
    • Samsung will not be supporting the phone any more (except for updates to kill it)
    • It is a safety hazard

You'll have to replace it anyway. It seems like you are saying the benefit of having this phone for a few extra weeks outweighs above. I can't possibly imagine how it does, but again that is for you to decide. I'm sure you'll get a good phone (just not quite as good as the one you have now in your opinion, I surmise )
    10-12-2016 07:36 AM
    I wouldn't say I'm quitting Samsung entirely (I have a UHD Samsung TV which I love). However, I'm holding off on their mobile products til my upgrade next October. Will be giving the V20 a shot.
    10-12-2016 07:36 AM
    Samsung halted production and put together a replacement program - they no longer need to offer an explanation.

The decision to halt production was an internal initiative, I suspect the investigation is concluded and the smoking gun found; I can speculate it's not an easily resolved issue. Now they're working on preventing similar issues in the future.

I don't think a full report is going to be forthcoming to the public - I think they've said all they're going to say about.
    boufa likes this.
    10-12-2016 07:37 AM
    I still have the S5. It is an excellent phone! Just Google all the reviews. And it can video in 4K. One advantage you will have is superior outdoor photography. You can crop an outdoor photo quite a bit and retain very good detail. Better than S6/7 and Note 7. That's because of a combination of factors 16MP, f2.4 and small pixel size. All that makes brilliant outdoor shots. Where later models are better are indoor shots.

But yeah, the S5 is a fantastic temporary phone and even in late 2016, holds up well with current phones.
    10-12-2016 07:38 AM
    I love Samsung products. This one has a serious safety issue (yet it was an incredible, awesome phone outside of that). I have no intention of abandoning Samsung. I LOVE their TVs and I have a few other Samsung phones in my household. Pixel XL for me now ...
    10-12-2016 07:39 AM
    I've been looking around, but honestly, nothing seems appealing from any of the companies at the moment. I think I'll just return it for a refund, as I've tried the closest replacement in the S7 Edge and really didn't like it.

I might switch to my brother's old Note 4, if I can barter it from him, and use it until next year's Samsung phones come out.
    10-12-2016 07:39 AM
    Which store has the V20? I really dont like LG, but I will give it a shot if i can look at it.
    ATT Stores. What's funny is yesterday I turned in both Note7's that I owned, and LG reps were in there corralling people towards the V20... right time, right place I guess for them.
    10-12-2016 07:44 AM
    I actually think Apple ditched the jack early to reduce the shock when they redesign comes out next year with a smaller more sexy iPhone. Samsung knew this was coming (maybe they thought it was coming this year) tried to do the same thing but keep the headphone jack...and we all know how well that worked out for them.
    10-12-2016 07:44 AM
    Oh yes they do... not just owners... Investors demand answers, new phone from Samsung after Note 7 fire fiasco

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/samsun...001158820.html
    10-12-2016 07:45 AM
    I didn't have a Note 7 but was contemplating it over my S7 Edge. I am now glad I didn't go the Note 7 route and pay to upgrade to it from my S7 Edge. However I still may be rage quitting samsung. I have one of their top load washers that is part of the recall they are having with those and have heard no new update on that in over a couple weeks. I was promised a phone call with an update within 2 business days and no phone call came. I am being told to use the washer in a mode that won't clean bedding items when washing bedding. I know it might be a little crazy but with all that is going on at Samsung with QC issues I don't think I can confidently purchase another item from them in the near future. Which is a shame because they do make some really good products.
    10-12-2016 07:46 AM
    But sound quality through Bluetooth is not as good as using a cord though.....
    10-12-2016 07:48 AM
    The truth will out - but it will come from a 3rd party analysis and then passive confirmation by Samsung.

The fact that Samsung's estimating this to cost them $2.3b USD solidifies my speculation.
    amyf27 likes this.
    I am concerned with the V20's battery

What do we think the battery on the V20 will be like compared to the Note 5

I am deciding between those 2
    The Note 8...and there will be a Note 8 will be the big winner here. This sucks, but it happens, and we are such a small fraction of Samsungs business that they will be fine.
    10-12-2016 07:49 AM
    If Samsung was smart they should make some tweaks to S7 and S7edge

- Increase from 32gb to 64gb
    - Add different color option for North America ( S7 edge in Canada only comes in Black)
    - Add improvement software tweaks that note 7 had to both S7 and S7 edge

Let's do it Samsung!
    10-12-2016 07:50 AM
    10-12-2016 07:51 AM
    Not even talking about downgrade. Can you handle that smaller screen. I can't lol.
    Oh I'll struggle with the screen size for sure 🙁
    amyf27 likes this.
    10-12-2016 07:52 AM
    It's not very encouraging that Samsung doesnt know why the fires are starting.

Supposedly they can not replicate the problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/12/bu...ated.html?_r=1
    10-12-2016 07:52 AM
    "At this point what does it matter anyways."
    10-12-2016 07:53 AM
    How about they just send us a kit to tear it down and replace the battery with a smaller one? Video instructions to do the job. I will take 3000mah to keep it from going boom.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-12-2016 07:53 AM
    I am concerned with the V20's battery

What do we think the battery on the V20 will be like compared to the Note 5

I am deciding between those 2
    I don't know about the quality of the battery, but the fact that it is removable is a huge plus for me
    10-12-2016 07:54 AM
1,439 ... 5354555657 ...