10-12-2016 09:27 AM
1,439 ... 565758
tools
    Why Samsung Abandoned Its Galaxy Note 7 Flagship Phone
    Why Samsung Abandoned Its Galaxy Note 7 Flagship Phone
    "The problem seems to be far more complex," Mr. Park said in a phone interview. "The Note 7 had more features and was more complex than any other phone manufactured. In a race to surpass iPhone, Samsung seems to have packed it with so much innovation it became uncontrollable."

Kind of like how their TouchWiz has worked in past
    10-12-2016 08:53 AM
    Turned my phone on this morning and after about an hour got the below message:

Safety Recall Notice
    "Your Galaxy Note 7 is not an affected device
    You can continue using your device normally."

It also had my IMEI number attached.
    10-12-2016 08:54 AM
    Wow!
    10-12-2016 08:54 AM
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I've been researching possible replacements for my N7 for a good portion of the last 24 hours and nothing available now (or within the next month or so) even comes close. Every possible alternative has too many compromises - no wireless charging, not waterproof, no microSD, no super AMOLED screen, etc, etc.
    To top it off I have numerous N7 accessories - $60 worth of cases, several USB-C chargers, several wireless quick-charge chargers that are now useless to me...
    Yep. I bought a ton of stuff for my Note 7 too that I won't be able to return. I've started a spread sheet of some possible replacements, but none tick all the boxes.
    Top alternatives IMO are V20 (uses USB-C so we can use our Note 7 charges and cables, 64gb internal like N7, sd card, supposed good camera and the DAC audio, 5.7screen and removable battery). But no wireless charge, smaller battery, not waterproof, and bigger (taller phone).
    2nd for me to look at is S7Edge, but it's only 1/2 the internal memory (and I had issues with my Note 4 with 32gb internal with apps clogging it up)

So I'm gonna wait til the V20 comes out and check it out then decide.(I don't have a backup now as I gave my Note 4 to the wife). Or just keep the N7 and hope it doesn't blow up (kidding).
    Angus66 likes this.
    10-12-2016 08:55 AM
    Woah that's interesting. Which carrier?
    10-12-2016 08:56 AM
    Do you have any links to back the first two bullet points?

LOL, other than the email and texts to users saying power it down and send it back? :-) OK, here's a few:

The Galaxy Note 7 is dead - The Verge

Samsung to Permanently Discontinue Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone - WSJ
    10-12-2016 08:56 AM
    Mod Note: Thread has been cleaned.

Please refrain from posting things that may come off as trolling or hurtful. Instead, let us all take a deep breath and try to discuss in a friendly and helpful manner in a way that allows everyone to learn something.
    Norg likes this.
    10-12-2016 08:57 AM
    "The problem seems to be far more complex," Mr. Park said in a phone interview. "The Note 7 had more features and was more complex than any other phone manufactured. In a race to surpass iPhone, Samsung seems to have packed it with so much innovation it became uncontrollable."

Kind of like how their TouchWiz has worked in past

Another article assigning reasons for the failure (so much innovation!) when even within the same article, they say no one knows how or why it is happening.

"Mr. Park said he had talked with some Samsung engineers but none seemed to know what happened, nor were they able to replicate the problem."
    T48 likes this.
    10-12-2016 09:00 AM
    I had one and it was a good phone, problem is the Note 7 was better so going from the 7 down to the 5 I think you'll notice it. You can always try it out and just keep track of your return period to see if it works for you. I went with the S7 Edge because of the expandable memory and later tech since it was just released in March. I'll be keeping my eye on the S8 variations when they come out. I've been setting up the S7 Edge for the last 2 hours and it does feel like a downgrade but I think most phones will compared to the Note 7 (I'm speaking specifically to android phones). I didn't feel like waiting for the Pixel or V20, just wanted to be done with the mess.
    Agreed...during the first recall, I went back to the Note 5 and while I loved that phone when it was a daily driver, it sure felt like a downgrade when I had to use it for a while.
    10-12-2016 09:02 AM
    It's really funny that as soon as Samsung Pulls the plug on the Note 7 all the fires stop. This hole thing is so shady

Sorry for the bad spelling on the title lol
    10-12-2016 09:05 AM
    Well I'm sure that it's because the entire world has followed directions and powered down. (This typed from my a note 7 as I cheat death one more time...)
    10-12-2016 09:09 AM
    I don't know man form what I'm readimg Samsung doesn't even know why there note 7 doing this they cant replicate it this all seems shady that's all
    10-12-2016 09:14 AM
    That is form the Samsung+. It has not been not been updated with the new recall
    10-12-2016 09:25 AM
    This thread has gotten a little ungainly and is becoming a spot for bickering more than information. New thread available here: The Cancellation of the Note 7 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com Please try not to bring all the baggage from here and let's have a good discussion.
    Norg likes this.
    10-12-2016 09:27 AM
1,439 ... 565758