Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian Caldwell

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy note 7 alternatives

I recently saw that my carrier at&t might not sell the note 7 anymore. I have been looking at different phones that I could possibly get as an alternative and the lg v20 looks pretty good. Does anyone have any other opinions on a good alternative to the note 7?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy note 7 alternatives

They have identical hardware to the Note 7, but might not match the featureset.

• Google Pixel XL
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
  • Apple iPhone 7 Plus
  • ZTE Axon 7 (doesn't have a camera as great, though. bear that in mind)

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

I was going to get another Note 7 from T-Mobile. I returned my first Note 7 for a refund and went back to using Note 5. I have Jump program on my 1st line and JOD on second, so getting a Pixel XL is a non-starter for me. Will see if I can pre-order V20 for the JOD line. Haven't owned an LG since the G3.

As far as unlocked phones are concerned, I was considering the ZTE Axon 7 for $399. Now, I think I would spend an extra $100 and get the ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe with the Snapdragon 820.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I see No Viable Alternatives

Not a good situation at the moment as there simply are no comparable alternatives....and in 2 weeks I start flying weekly so I am going to have to make some sort of move.....

Honestly, this was / is a great phone without the gimmick curved screen the precludes a viable screen protector. Other than that this phone has everything I wanted.

IF we are forced to switch, I haven't a clue what to so. The 7 Edge has worse edges the S7 has too small of a screen, the V20 coming out isn't waterproof and has a lesser quality screen and the iPhone 7 plus just isn't user friendly if you take a lot of pictures and constantly need to sort them into individual files, plug into your computer and easily transfer things, etc.

I am starting to think that the only realistic alternative that is remotely close is to go backwards and find a new or lightly used Note 5. Worse battery life, no waterproofing, no additional storage.

Don't really want to go with an S7 and get stuck living with it. My eyes and work need the bigger screen.....

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: I see No Viable Alternatives

Not a good situation at the moment as there simply are no comparable alternatives....and in 2 weeks I start flying weekly so I am going to have to make some sort of move.....

Honestly, this was / is a great phone without the gimmick curved screen the precludes a viable screen protector. Other than that this phone has everything I wanted.

IF we are forced to switch, I haven't a clue what to so. The 7 Edge has worse edges the S7 has too small of a screen, the V20 coming out isn't waterproof and has a lesser quality screen and the iPhone 7 plus just isn't user friendly if you take a lot of pictures and constantly need to sort them into individual files, plug into your computer and easily transfer things, etc.

I am starting to think that the only realistic alternative that is remotely close is to go backwards and find a new or lightly used Note 5. Worse battery life, no waterproofing, no additional storage.

Don't really want to go with an S7 and get stuck living with it. My eyes and work need the bigger screen.....

The V20 sceen is really not any worse. It is a high quality LCD IPS panel. One of the best. Also, you can easily plug the iPhone into a PC with a cable, and just go to the drive that got mapped and into the folder where the pictures are and copy them over. I do it all the time that way when I had the iPhone.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site

S7 edge is the closest to the feature set...if I'm forced to return...thats the only option.....and it will be getting Grace UX when it updates to nougat

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I gave up.

I'm just going to get an HTC 10, nothing else meets my requirements and the HTC 10 is only $550 factory unlocked right now.

GraceUX made TouchWiz bearable. I can't use an S7 edge or S7, I've tried.

So yeah, I am really bummed this didn't work out but oh well, it's just a phone.

carme4

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site

I agree. I love this phone. I went to AT&T yesterday and looked at others and there is none that suits me. I don't like the Iphone 7 plus, nor the S7edge. I could also do without the curved screen only because of the frustration of not having a decent tempered glass screen protector. I'm keeping my Note 7 unless it gets recalled. If it does, I will go back to my Note 4 until the new Note 8 comes out.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

I love the curved screen its what I wished the Note 5 had on it last year, as I upgrade every year. But yeh there is not substitute for this phone. The Pixel XL looks just like a Iphone which I refuse to have and use since leaving the Iphone 4 years ago. Will hang onto mine till next Summer to see what comes out other than Apple.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

I am liking the flat screen on the V20, will be much easier to find a TGSP for it that works/sticks. I also watched a video of a guy dropping it from chest height, dropped 3 times and barley a scratch. I don't see the same happening with this glass house of a Note 7. I love this phone but I don't see much support for it in near future so I am preparing mentally to move on, I suggest others do the same as well.

I hope the V20 isn't hard to get when the day comes, i would imagine a good number of the N7 owners will be going that route since the screen real estate is similar.

I just want to get a damn phone that I can settle in with and be done with it.

The note 7 is like dating that crazy ex girlfriend you broke up with all the time, the sex was great but it just wasn't meant to be!!

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Funny I see all this media talk, but on forums no one is giving up their Note 7. I've had 4 Note 7's pass through my house (I've had originally black, returned for silver, and now a replacement silver, and my wife had one) and none have had issues. There's no other phone that compares and mine is here to stay. Samsung is taking an unfair beating. They've done a stand-up job in my opinion. Plus, they've given away stuff this year like crazy (gear vr, fit watch, as card). When's the last time Apple gave away a free accessory to buyers? Yet the fanboys keep kissing their butts.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

I am liking the flat screen on the V20, will be much easier to find a TGSP for it that works/sticks. I also watched a video of a guy dropping it from chest height, dropped 3 times and barley a scratch. I don't see the same happening with this glass house of a Note 7. I love this phone but I don't see much support for it in near future so I am preparing mentally to move on, I suggest others do the same as well.

I hope the V20 isn't hard to get when the day comes, i would imagine a good number of the N7 owners will be going that route since the screen real estate is similar.

I just want to get a damn phone that I can settle in with and be done with it.

The note 7 is like dating that crazy ex girlfriend you broke up with all the time, the sex was great but it just wasn't meant to be!!

Oh goodness. This had me laughing so hard I scared the dog away.

SaltGuy

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

The only phone I'm even somewhat interested in if we were forced to turn our Notes in would be the V20.

I really like the hardware which reminds me of my M7 and M8s a few years ago ..... and the screen size is large like the Note.

I'd still need to have " playtime " with it when and if it gets into the retail stores. I just want to be sure it has that premium feel that I've gotten accustomed with the Note and S6 Edge+.

For now I'm a sticking it out though

I agree...
The v10 actually is a nice phone that my wife uses. It's just awkward in my hand vs note 7 for same screen size. It's what made me grab the note 7 amongst other things... great design. I believe the v20 kind of addresses the shape / size.

A

AC Question

Why cant i access mobile network connections?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, runs Marshmallow. I am trying to switch from Sprint to FreedomPop. I need to set an APN but I can't access the mobile networks. I went into settings and it's not there at all!! Please help!

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site

I agree...
The v10 actually is a nice phone that my wife uses. It's just awkward in my hand vs note 7 for same screen size. It's what made me grab the note 7 amongst other things... great design. I believe the v20 kind of addresses the shape / size.
That's why I need to wait to actually feel and play with a V20 once they're on display.

The size is the same as the V10 which I'm okay with but I want to be sure the V20 feels good in my hands and it feels solid.

Let's see how all this drama plays out next week ?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I gave up.

I'm just going to get an HTC 10, nothing else meets my requirements and the HTC 10 is only $550 factory unlocked right now.

GraceUX made TouchWiz bearable. I can't use an S7 edge or S7, I've tried.

So yeah, I am really bummed this didn't work out but oh well, it's just a phone.
What's the problem with s7? most overlooked and best alternative to n7 imo

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

What's the problem with s7? most overlooked and best alternative to n7 imo
I know this sounds silly but, after using the GraceUX version of TouchWiz, it'll take me a while to warm up to the regular TouchWiz on the s7 or the s7 edge. I stayed away from Samsung until the Note 7 came around.

I also like not having to check the charger port orientation when I'm in my car (USB-C is reversible).

Of course the last option is to go with the Note 7 and take my chances with another recall or whether or not I'm permitted to use my phone on flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.