Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

I was going to get another Note 7 from T-Mobile. I returned my first Note 7 for a refund and went back to using Note 5. I have Jump program on my 1st line and JOD on second, so getting a Pixel XL is a non-starter for me. Will see if I can pre-order V20 for the JOD line. Haven't owned an LG since the G3.

As far as unlocked phones are concerned, I was considering the ZTE Axon 7 for $399. Now, I think I would spend an extra $100 and get the ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe with the Snapdragon 820.

That Deluxe they have a 6gb ram snapdragon 821 too if I've read about it correctly? Looks like a beast.

Is the Pixel XL going to be sold unlocked directly from Google or Best Buy since I use tmobile? If I'm correct only Verizon will sell it. besides, I don't want a carrier phone again after my tmobile ordeal right now.

anon(9419666)

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

I like the LG V20 better because it gives you more features compared to the google pixel. And I also like LG's IPS LCD display.

mistic99

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Time to switch

First let me say that I really like the the N7 but this is getting ridiculous 3 more cases of phones catching fire and replacements no less. There was a since of pride when I would take out my N7 and everyone else was on a Iphone now its just embarrassing. I like Samsung as a company but they dropped the ball on this one so I will give the V20 a shot once it's released just can't do Apple team Android all the way. I want to that Sammy for the free Gear Vr, the Fit2 and the 256gb card and let them know I look forward to the Note 8 hopefully you learned from this fiasco.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Time to switch

First let me say that I really like the the N7 but this is getting ridiculous 3 more cases of phones catching fire and replacements no less. There was a since of pride when I would take out my N7 and everyone else was on a Iphone now its just embarrassing. I like Samsung as a company but they dropped the ball on this one so I will give the V20 a shot once it's released just can't do Apple team Android all the way. I want to that Sammy for the free Gear Vr, the Fit2 and the 256gb card and let them know I look forward to the Note 8 hopefully you learned from this fiasco.

Completely understandable. In fact, anyone buying a Note 7 now is a bit unwise. I have no doubts Samsung will learn from this in their future models. They will be my first option when I upgrade my S5-this fiasco hasn't deterred me. But I am a Sammy fan as I have loved my S5.

What a COMPLETE DISASTER if any more replacement Note 7's melt down. It's either a second recall or terminate the Note 7 model. I would say the latter is more likely.

And that would be unprecedented.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I had a bad feeling about the replacement Note 7's with so many reports of the phone getting unusually warm whilst charging. Obviously Sammy hasn't worked this out.

And therein lies the dilemma. To properly resolve the situation required more time than Samsung was willing to take. Once again then, they rushed like they did with the original release and not sorted out the issue properly. But they were in between a rock and a hard place. In hindsight, they should have sacrificed some consumer sales and taken the time needed to properly fix this issue and move on.

The amount of dissatisfied customers would be far less than what is potentially about to happen.

Shanda5303

Banned
Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Completely understandable. In fact, anyone buying a Note 7 now is a bit unwise. I have no doubts Samsung will learn from this in their future models. They will be my first option when I upgrade my S5-this fiasco hasn't deterred me. But I am a Sammy fan as I have loved my S5.

What a COMPLETE DISASTER if any more replacement Note 7's melt down. It's either a second recall or terminate the Note 7 model. I would say the latter is more likely.

And that would be unprecedented.
This is 2nd time in 2 days for me that mines gotten up to 105° earlier it was 108° while charging so I turned it off.I'm starting to get concerned and I'm wondering at what point is too hot when things start catching on fire? 😟
40122cb701be551ee17d4b701d02d1fb.jpg

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Most of us are not optimistic about Note 7's future.

But at least let Samsung come out to acknowledge that these few cases are really still the same battery issue before sentencing Note 7 to death.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

No battery issues with my first or replacement N7. I turn fast charge off and do not use wireless charging anyway. Neither are good for a device if keeping beyond a year. That is unless you do not mind less battery life

The Pixel has even faster charge. Will be interesting how they are after eight months.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

This is 2nd time in 2 days for me that mines gotten up to 105° earlier it was 108° while charging so I turned it off.I'm starting to get concerned and I'm wondering at what point is too hot when things start catching on fire? 😟//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161009/40122cb701be551ee17d4b701d02d1fb.jpg

If I were you, I'd replace your phone. I really hate to not recommend the Note 7 again but it's obviously plagued by problems. As I said before, all the reports of replacement units getting unusually warm were of concern. And you have indicated your unit is the same.

If you want the latest and greatest then wait for the S8. But the Galaxy S7 edge is still excellent along with some other Android offerings. But I would get rid of your Note 7.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: I see No Viable Alternatives

The s7 edge is just as viable as the v20 and pixel xl. It's not like the other 2 have a stylus anyway.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Why does everyone think the S8 will have no issues? It doesn't seem that Samsung has figured out the battery issue yet if this is still happening.
I'm sure the development of the S8 is on hold pending this investigation of these issues. The worst thing Samsung could do right now is release another phone with issues.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

I have been seriously considering moving to the Pixel XL (never considered the v20) since the carriers announced they would take exchanges / refunds. I love the Note 7. It's just a bit too much drama, a bit too little comfort level for me, and considering I will need to fly a bit in the next year, and I don't want to have to worry about it.

Pros of the Pixel XL (and the reason I may move to it)
- Fast fast fast. Every hands-on, and early "review" talks about just how fast and optimized everything is.
- Android 7.1 out of the box (cool long press actions, split screen for every app, Doze 2.0, etc)
- Fast updates (if you don't buy through Verizon - and even then you'll have the newest OS faster than other phones, just way slower than unlocked Pixels)
- Google Assistant. I love this tech on Allo, I ordered Google Home and Assistant seems great to me.
- Unlimited Photo and Video storage at full quality on Google Photos

The Pixel XL negatives compared to the Note 7 IMO (the negatives I care about anyway):
- No waterproofing at all
- No Wireless charging (uggh, really? in 2016?)
- Good screen on the Pixel, but not Note 7 quality
- Rear fingerprint sensor (I keep my phone on the desk next to me a lot. I would now have to pick up the phone every single time to unlock it - yeah I know, #FirstWorldProblems :)
- "Pure" Android, or "Google's" Android now. I always found stock Android bland and lacking features compared to TouchWiz. Though the newest OS versions catch up somewhat.
- Unknown camera quality

Of all of these, it's the last one oddly that has me pausing. Some early tests and photos I have seen look very very promising, but no credible (for me) reviews of the camera are out yet. If it turns out to have a great fast camera, I may move to it.

It is the only other phone I am considering at this point ..

Thanks for this. I agree. Some additional points, from my perspective:

Pixel XL:
- The camera has started off on the right foot. It looks amazing. Check the DXO review.
- I still have problems with the chin and forehead on that thing, and the screen-to-overall size ratio. It looks totally "2007 iPhone" to me. Not sure I can get past this. But that may be just my shortcomings.
- I would be on VZW, so I am not convinced the "fast updates" will really be a thing. I am still hurting years later from my Galaxy Nexus on VZW experience. Man, did VZW hose that up.
- As with others, while a "pure" Android experience used to be my mantra, for years, Samsung's tweaks have me hooked. Pure Android now looks really boring and featureless to me.
- We know when it will drop on VZW.

LG V20
- OMG, the audio playback capabilities are off-the-chart. I exclusively run FLACS on my N7 through good cans, or Samsung's proprietary hi-res BT earbuds. The V20 looks amazing on this front.
- OMG, the recording capabilities are equally off-the-chart. There's never been a phone that can capture audio like this.
- IPS LCD screen is a bit of a let-down, although LG does a pretty good job at IPS. Reports are that it's excellent in real-life.
- SD card slot. Yes.
- Removable battery - OMG. Never worrying about having power? Not a bad place to be.
- However, I don't want to swap batteries every day. Historically, large IPS LCD's can be thirsty.
- Even though it uses the same 820 SD proc, reportedly it's amazing fast, and comparisons are made directly to the N7, saying it's feels much faster.
- Quality reports of recent LG phones look questionable.
- The design (vs the Pixel) is way more attractive to me.
- Is it too big? Don't know until I get my hands on it.
- We don't know when it will drop on VZW.

Yup - I'll wait to hear the official message from Samsung. Just scouting-out what will be available if I need to jump.

mikechaudron

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Agree. I'm trying to get my replacement Note 7 replaced. However Best Buy isn't honoring Sprint's offer to replace them for any other Sprint phone and I went to three Sprint stores Friday to no avail. I spent much of yesterday interacting with Sprint care.

I complained to Sprint's CEO on Twitter and things are starting to happen. Apparently a Sprint technician is going to call me today. We'll see what happens.

I really hate this because I really like the N7, but I value my family's safety more it is time to move on.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Why does everyone think the S8 will have no issues? It doesn't seem that Samsung has figured out the battery issue yet if this is still happening.
I'm sure the development of the S8 is on hold pending this investigation of these issues. The worst thing Samsung could do right now is release another phone with issues.

The Note 7 is unprecedented for Samsung. I'm sure they will learn their lesson and really clamp down on quality control. They have still have months to do an analysis and get their batteries right again. Remember, this mass recall was a one off.

The attempted fix on the Note 7 was done on the fly. That's the difference.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

After this fiasco, I feel bad for anyone traveling with a Note 7. I cannot see any airline allowing this phone on their planes. I do a lot of traveling for work and that is the main reason I returned my Note 7. For a $900 phone, I should be able to use it anywhere and not be limited.

If the Note 7 is recalled again, I don't see Samsung keeping this device around. It may be discontinued.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Of course not... but if they produced a phone with issues... they'll have to prove themselves with future issues.

Samsung latest release has been the Note 7 and it's gonna be fresh on peoples minds... they will have to show and convince people with the S8.

So if a company makes a particular phone model with issues, then all their models will have issues in the future and never be good? Well I guess Samsung phones are doomed forever with that logic.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I'm glad I came across this thread. The V20 will replace the note 7. I respect LG for still doing removable battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay