Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: my fears if I keep the N7

If you purchased from a carrier, I'm sure they will credit you back for all the Note 7 accessories you purchased to them as well (just like from the first recall). Don't sweat it. If you bought them from ebay/BB/etc. and you're outside a return window...good luck :p

My only concerns would be if Samsung officially discontinues the product...thus giving them leash to stop pushing out furture security updates and warranty support. It really won't take much effort for Samsung to just push out updates, however, if they're doing so for the S7 variants that are so similar, but you you never know. At least give me Nougat and I can rest easy lol.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

I deliberately avoided buying the Note 7 until the early adopters had BETA tested it. And then lo and behold the battery fire fiasco surfaced. Since I didn't buy a Note 7 yet, I am not stuck with that ordeal. Same with the LG V20. Don't buy it immediately when it comes out. Wait a month or so. You may just avoid the headache you now face.
Have to say Steve has a point. If the Note 7 replacements get recalled I can't buy either the Pixel or V20 because it would break my new rule about not getting anything less than 30 days old. Looks like it's one of the S7's for me.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Returned mine and now have the iTurd 7 Plus. When the Note 8 comes out, I'll take another look.
The Note 7 is dead. :-\

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Dude, take it back. The $20 you spent on a case isn't worth losing your house over.

Ditto. Even in best case scenario you keep it and all goes well, you will have no resale value. Plus it's not the sort of phone you can in good conscience give to someone else.

Plus just now a 4th replacement phone has melted. The Note 7 is finished and I believe AT&T have just now stopped selling it. No doubt the other carriers in America will follow and then the rest of the world.

It's a sad end to what was a brilliant phone. Samsung will learn about QC and not rushing into production. But yeah, get rid of the Note 7 NOW!

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

The only fear is that you will be stuck with a POS that Samsung will no longer provide update or support for in the very near future.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

No fear here. I'm keeping my replacement N7.

Keeping my replacement until investigations reveal something conclusive or until V20, which ever is later. It's hard for any phone to replace this phone and I even have a backup note 5.

I think this is what I'm doing.

You'll all be getting an email from me regarding your nomination for this year's Darwin award.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Re: Time to switch

Going to return and get a refund for my note 7 since I'm still within the 2 week period with best buy. Luckily I still have my iPhone 6s plus which has been awesome for me, but wanted to try a Samsung device, which to be honest hasn't wowed me over.

Battery life is worst than my iPhone and I feel I could do more with iPhone, or FaceTime with family, photostream, not having to "optimize" my phone to get it at peak performance, etc.

Now with more replacement phones having battery problem, can't risk my life nor property damage. Also, resell value will decrease, no support/updates, and less accessories/cases.

Gave Samsung a try, but they did not convince me. I will also be saving $900 this year as it was my first time switching over to att next program. Will wait till next year to see what the note 8 and iPhone 8 have to offer.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

They're "not afraid" now, but they'll sure as hell complain about that later.

And demand compensation from Samsung because of how much time they wasted, how much anxiety due to the uncertainty was endured, and how poorly they were treated. Free S8 upgrades and trips to South Korea for all just to quell their fears so they can buy more Sammys in the future!! :p

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Besides waiting for confirmation of these reports being substantiated my other bug concern is lack of carrier support. I'm on att so let's say i lose my phone in 4 months, then what phone would they send? There won't be any carrier support and I don't know if I want to be stuck in that situation even if the reports aren't true.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I'm starting to get concerned and I'm wondering at what point is too hot when things start catching on fire? 😟

GOOD GRIEF. Do you really want to play that dangerous guessing game? Are you not aware of what might happen to you and your belongings and/or the people around you?

EXCHANGE THE PHONE ALREADY.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site

78771e762082754672ea75919c86cfaf.gif

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Mine gets that hot when I'm using the Samsung Fast Charge car charger and listening to a Podcast at the same time. Once I take it off the charger, the temperatures drop quick. Also, during simultaneous download processes it can get that hot.

Under normal use it never gets that hot. Did you take that snapshot during fast charging or while downloads were happening??

You shouldn't be using any phone whilst fast charging. I can't believe people are doing this. Fast charging is putting the battery under higher temp and current than regular charging. Using it at the same time just increases that running temp yet again.

Don't use your phone whilst fast charging! Batteries 101.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

Have to say Steve has a point. If the Note 7 replacements get recalled I can't buy either the Pixel or V20 because it would break my new rule about not getting anything less than 30 days old. Looks like it's one of the S7's for me.

Funny I usually do the same thing, although last year I took the note 5 plunge shortly after release which was unique for me. But my 2 year old note 3 had battery issues in a big way so it was time. I knew I wanted a note so I took the plunge. This year I was planning to get a note 7 but was back to my obligatory 6 to 8 week waiting period and like you it prevented me from buying a bad product. I'm not sure I'll wait the 6 weeks on the V20 or Pixel XL. Mostly because we've got a family vacation coming the first week of Dec, I would really like to be using the new phones with better camera's on that trip. Yes I'll have my SLR with us but phones are a lot more convenient for quick photos.

My wife's battery on her S6 is also 100% garbage at this point.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I'm on att so let's say i lose my phone in 4 months, then what phone would they send? There won't be any carrier support and I don't know if I want to be stuck in that situation even if the reports aren't true.

Then you know what to do, so do it.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

For the sake of full disclosure, I'm on jump on demand so no chance I'm getting stuck with a phone with no support. Once there are any warranty or OS support concerns, guess what I'll do? JUMP! The concerns about fire are my major concern but not jumping to any conclusions. I try not to charge my phone while I'm asleep but that's about it. I stopped using my first device when there was a recall.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

All the ones that keep the Note 7 now will be the biggest complainers later when things go belly up. And belly up it is definitely going.

I wish y'all would stop saying ALL cause not all of us that decide to keep ours will complain. If I choose to keep mine that is my choice and if it screws up then I got my note5 to go back to. So don't say everyone will complain cause you don't know everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.