Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge or Note 5?

I have been planning to get a Gear S3 frontier so I'm hoping for a S7E bundle or at least a guaranteed safe N7.

tntiger

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Time to switch

I'm one of those that is truly on the fence but leaning towards returning my replacement phone. I actually still have the original because I still don't have the return packaging materials that Verizon is sending . . . Anyway, with several reports of replacement phones overheating and catching fire I just don't know if I can live with that risk to my family and home. In all of these stories I keep waiting to hear things about how the phone and battery behaved before it overheated - did they use a battery monitor and if so, what was the max temp. But even if we find out these things about some of the phones is it possible that some overheat without any prior symptoms? For what it's worth, I installed the GSam battery monitor on day 1 and haven't had a temp over 95ºF . . . I'm concerned that this is giving me a false sense of security.

I'm still within the 14 day period on the replacement phone and I've got a small fortune invested in cases, chargers and protective covers (most not purchased from Verizon) and I still think I'm going to return it. My 2 month old Otterbox Defender order on Amazon just became available to ship and I cancelled it. The only remaining big question is what will I get now . . . I'd prefer to stay with Android but the iPhone 7 plus seems to have a slight advantage over the other available Android phones. I'm going to eat a lot of crow if I wind up doing that because all of my friends know that I'm not a big fan of iOS.

The bottom line is that this has been a fiasco and it's a complete shame because I really love this phone.

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Loved the N7 and both my original and replacement worked perfectly. However I do travel and didn't want to deal with the bans, restrictions, scrutiny, etc. Got my self a S7e and actually quite happy so far. I'm also was a frequent s pen user and already find myself reaching for it due to habit. Oh well I'll wait for the N8 but will not buy at release. Bye N7 forum. Enjoyed my time here.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

You can bet that if there is a discontinuation of the N7, Sammy won't risk any more bad headlines and send out an update and disable all units.

I just love when people say Samsung or the carriers will disable the units. I mean not everyone returned their original Note 7. I have a co-worker that still has hers because guess what? Target still didn't have replacement units up until Wednesday of this week in my neck of the woods. She is still charging up to 100% with fast charge on top of it. I have advised her not to do so and told her to return her phone as she has an old Note 3, she is not a techie and doesn't follow boards but I tell her whatever I know. She is still receiving updates and all. She has ATT. She didn't even know there might be a second recall. Give me a break....by now if they were going to send out disabling updates they would have. I believe some people just love the drama effect of saying certain things.

Sleepwlkr45

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm here, as it happens cause I saw this thread and it's a question I'm trying to answer as well....liked the S7e a lot for the battery life but really like and need the Spen for jotting notes at work without making people think I'm playing video games or posting to Facebook....

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I decided on the S7 Edge and I am sending this message from it as I type

What color did you get? I had the S7E as a loner in silver and didn't dig that color. Had it been black, I probably would have stuck with it. The battery is good plus it has SD card support.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: my fears if I keep the N7

Like what...the fires did happen? The phone is a lemon, get over it and move on to the next.
df3053253ef34465cfa1337a14ab55c7.gif

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

Same thoughts I had on the V20. Now I can't decide......V20 with horrible battery life or iPHone 7 plus....

From my brief experience with the phone, it may have swayed me to picking up the V20 next week. Really liked the feel of the phone as well as the sound quality. Having a removable battery again wouldn't be so bad, i suppose.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I just love when people say Samsung or the carriers will disable the units. I mean not everyone returned their original Note 7. I have a co-worker that still has hers because guess what? Target still didn't have replacement units up until Wednesday of this week in my neck of the woods. She is still charging up to 100% with fast charge on top of it. I have advised her not to do so and told her to return her phone as she has an old Note 3, she is not a techie and doesn't follow boards but I tell her whatever I know. She is still receiving updates and all. She has ATT. She didn't even know there might be a second recall. Give me a break....by now if they were going to send out disabling updates they would have. I believe some people just love the drama effect of saying certain things.

Drama effect? Are you kidding? Samsung has almost reached the threshold where the replacement units are in the same position as the original units. It is actual drama, not perceived. If there are any more replacement units defective, there are only 2 choices-second recall or discontinue the N7. If the latter is done, you can guarantee there will be a worldwide disabling.

How many people are realistically going to stick it out with a second recall?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site

I replaced mine today in Brandon, FL. I loved my Note 7. Both the original and replacement unit. Zero issues. Fantastic phone. However, I can read the handwriting on the wall. This line is seriously damaged. Possibly irreplably. Samsung will at some point stop with updates, etc. I went with the S7 edge. Still a great phone. Still love the brand. Hopefully in the future, this can work itself out.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

For me it would for sure be the V20. I have an LG G5 now and have had none of the problems people were reporting and I got it for a steal (unlocked dual-sim for about $430). I'm a camera snob and a bit of an audiophile which is why I stopped buying Samsung after replacing my Note 4. Samsung cameras are good, but I want full manual controls and audio playback I was never impressed with the Samsungs. Throw in their decisions to ditch removable battery and I jumped ship.

I gotta admit though Sammy makes some damn fine looking phones, especially the Note 7. Best looking phone ever in my opinion. Such a shame about the battery fiasco :( I really feel for Note 7 enthusiasts going through this mess.

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

AT&T has stopped sales. T-Mobile has stopped sales. Verizon has no Note 7s in stock. You seriously believe that the carriers -- already bitten by the first fiasco of a recall -- will restart sales later on? At this point it appears that the Note 7 is dead and won't be supported by the carriers even if by some miracle the CPSC doesn't mandate a 2nd recall.

If there is a 2nd recall, the carriers won't allow the devices on their networks and will surely have Samsung kill them remotely. If there is no recall, the carriers will in all likelihood no longer sell the Note 7. Will not support the Note 7 and there will be no updates forthcoming. You're welcome to keep an essentially zombie phone.

Edited to add: Now in Australia, Samsung has halted shipments of "safe" Note 7s to Telstra

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13220618/samsung-galaxy-note-7-pause-shipments

So now another major carrier is halting sales and they have none in stock. I seriously doubt they'll sell anymore unless, again, there's a miracle solution to this new rash of fires.

Last edited:

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

What color did you get? I had the S7E as a loner in silver and didn't dig that color. Had it been black, I probably would have stuck with it. The battery is good plus it has SD card support.
I wanted black, but the store on lyrics had silver and gold in Stock, so I went with silver. Got the $10 Samsung pay reward again, the $5 dunkin donut reward, and was able to request the free 256 gb memory card . Really enjoying it so far. Will see how it handles work emails etc. At work I usually use a quick word file on my computer screen for notes. I type a lot faster than I write lol.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

We had two Note 7s in my house. I returned both of them to T-mobile this afternoon. I am just over all of this mess. We have Nexus 6Ps and an iPhone 7 Plus. I may be done with Samsung for a while.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Allnicksgone

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

Drama effect? Are you kidding? Samsung has almost reached the threshold where the replacement units are in the same position as the original units. It is actual drama, not perceived. If there are any more replacement units defective, there are only 2 choices-second recall or discontinue the N7. If the latter is done, you can guarantee there will be a worldwide disabling.

How many people are realistically going to stick it out with a second recall?
I would trade my Note 7 for a third one, but I don't think the carriers will play along again.

If they recall, and kill the Note 7, I'll get a refund, go back to my Note 3, and wait for the Note 8, or whatever they change the name to.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

If the device is running hot even after a reset, take no chance and return it. Neither of the two Note 7s I have/had exhibit this, but would return if did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair