Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

I would never go LG again. My g5 broke in less than 2 months of owning. Multiple people who i know or have heard from who have owned the g5 had similar issues. Where me and someone else said it just stopped working and for every case, the camera screen cracked in pocket and some even worst with the screen breaking in pocket.

Wouldnt go for the pixel either as it looks like crap and doesnt support sd card.

I would go the s7 edge or axon 7 instead of those 2.
I having a very positive experience using my G5.

Last edited:

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

]

You don't want to go LG. Was a pretty big lg fan, but after the horrendous experience with the G5, i don't trust the quality in their products anymore.
Why such a Debbie downer, don't assume that your experience applies to all G5 owners. I for one am completely satisfied after 2 months of intense use... And I use my G5 for business on a regular daily basis.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

I am going to risk it and grab a V20 right away. I may swing in the store and check it out personally this week. I don't have a backup phone so I may have to do the exchange on release day. If battery life is not so good I could live with that, I always have a charging source nearby. Where is this poor battery life info come from anyways?

If the phone fires incidents happen more frequently I may have to buy a cheap device to get me by for a few weeks, oh man that will be torture though.

My wife had the s7e for an interim device and I think it was a lemon, after a fresh install it would still freeze up and lag..i know folks speak highly of the S7e but I don't think I will handle grabbing a date phone very well, I always want the new stuff out. Plus I really dislike the no TGSP options for the curved glass phones, the Note 7 had me so happy I was living with that negative

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Other alternatives

This is seriously disappointing to me.

This is my first Samsung and first Android device. The reason I switched from BlackBerry to Android was because what they are going through, and what they are offering, are all short of what my experiences have been in years past. Hardware wise, the Note 7 filled a lot of uses and needs for my daily use. Unfortunately the current and soon to be offerings by BlackBerry are not enough to make me want to pick up and use on a daily basis. I would be more willing to stick it out on my BlackBerry Passport if I can get a refund from Best Buy for me replacement Note7, since I originally purchased it outright.

I'd have to do a lot more research. I've already got the Free Gear VR. If I decide to use another device, can I even use that with a Non-Samsung device?

There has already been a bit of an additional investment beyond financial, for me. Time to setup, time to learn how to navigate and use for my daily needs, and cases and screen protectors.

Hardware looks, the Honor 8 looks sleek and interesting. The S7 Edge would probably be the closest to the Note 7 experience. Very disappointing and frustrating.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site

I having a very positive experience using my G5.

Some did, but i don't know anyone personally who has had a good experience.

Why such a Debbie downer, don't assume that your experience applies to all G5 owners. I for one am completely satisfied after 2 months of intense use... And I use my G5 for business on a regular daily basis.

2 months? Maybe your's was manufactured later?

I got mine on day 1 along with others who and as i said above, we all had very similar problems. For me the camera shattered in my pocket (i'm sure it still worked) but before that i got a terrible pressure crack which in the end made my display useless. No idea how the crack started.
A store rep had a shattered camera glass and front screen as well, not sure about camera but screen still worked. All broke in his pocket.

Finally someone told me their friends G5 just stopped working. Even tried using different batteries.

On this board, there was someone else who also had their camera glass shattered as well.

I loved the G5, easily turned me away from the company and i have been using LG phones for a long time (not all smartphones).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge or Pixel XL as a Replacement

Get the S7 Edge it's better than the Note 7 only without an spen

Whuu? Half the internal storage, no hardware display scaling, weaker lowlight pics, a more pronounced curve that distorts video and web pages more, and is more sensitive to accidental presses on edges.

Got to respectfully disagree.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Im honestly disappointed with Samsung, but I really love the features of this phone
If I was to get an alternate, it would need to have water resistance, this will have to be a standard for me

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Im honestly disappointed with Samsung, but I really love the features of this phone
If I was to get an alternate, it would need to have water resistance, this will have to be a standard for me

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Whuu? Half the internal storage, no hardware display scaling, weaker lowlight pics, a more pronounced curve that distorts video and web pages more, and is more sensitive to accidental presses on edges.

"Weaker lowlight pics"
I thought they have the exact same camera with similar post-processing...

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Why not just keep your Note 7's if you like them? Samsung hasn't even made an official statement. What if the plane incident was a recalled unit that was never exchanged? What if some of the other people are lying too? The phone won't kill you, so why all the panic?

Fobbers

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site

Why not just keep your Note 7's if you like them? Samsung hasn't even made an official statement. What if the plane incident was a recalled unit that was never exchanged? What if some of the other people are lying too? The phone won't kill you, so why all the panic?

I was just asking if you guys had any other suggestions of a different phone if they were to recall the phone again.

Harry Dunn

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge or Note 5?

What color did you get? I had the S7E as a loner in silver and didn't dig that color. Had it been black, I probably would have stuck with it. The battery is good plus it has SD card support.

I'm in the same exact position as you... Exchanged original note 7 for a silver S7E, loved the phone but not the color... So when the new note 7s were released I went back to it... Hopefully I can get a black S7E now with all this nonsense

Andy Lam1

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

Oh they will, I have a feeling they will. They are going to investigate first but it not good to halt production so it's all pointing to official statement but I would before exchanging anything incase they will reimburse you or anything

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

I don't have your answer. That depends on what you are looking for. But i will say if you use the words updates, do not buy a phone with a Snapdragon 820 in it.

The next version of Android is rumored to require a specific set of graphics APIs that the Snapdragon 820 does not support. This is one of those small differences between the 820 and 821, but one of the few that does matter.

Qualcomm *might* be able to provide firmware drivers that enable enough of the apis to make it work, but the only time they have done this before was for the Nexus 7 and only because Google forced them. They refused to support the 800 with the Android 7.0 update, leaving many phones — some only a few months old — out in the cold, but did support the almost identical Snapdragon 805.

tl;dr — you need at least a Snapdragon 821 if you want to be sure you can run the next Android update.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I don't get the distorted video playback complaint. Watching video on my Edge is an absolute joy. One of the best things about this phone actually.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Time to switch

I think I had posted in another forum that I would get a full refund on mine and go back to my Note 5. Well....I'm changing my mind. I was having battery draining issues on the 5. I have the Same apps on my Note 7, and it doesn't drain as badly. It can last all day. The Note 7 is a bigger battery, so in conclusion, I Need a bigger battery. I think I'll downgrade and go S7 edge. I want the Micro SD slot, the Water resistance and bigger battery. I'll miss the S-pen, but I haven't really used it much.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't have your answer. That depends on what you are looking for. But i will say if you use the words updates, do not buy a phone with a Snapdragon 820 in it.

The next version of Android is rumored to require a specific set of graphics APIs that the Snapdragon 820 does not support. This is one of those small differences between the 820 and 821, but one of the few that does matter.

Qualcomm *might* be able to provide firmware drivers that enable enough of the apis to make it work, but the only time they have done this before was for the Nexus 7 and only because Google forced them. They refused to support the 800 with the Android 7.0 update, leaving many phones — some only a few months old — out in the cold, but did support the almost identical Snapdragon 805.

tl;dr — you need at least a Snapdragon 821 if you want to be sure you can run the next Android update.
Wait. That's pretty much every Android flagship released so far minus the Pixel and Zenfone 3 Deluxe 256GB.

What makes this weirder is that both utilize an Adreno 530. Maybe there are other small changes?

I was under the impression that the 821 is a revised 820 with slightly higher clocks and a revised modem plus other small tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.