Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

It seems a lot are going for the S7 Edge. Will you guys buy the S8 Edge and hold onto the S7 Edge until the Note 8 comes out later in the year?
Used it for about 10 days as a loaner but it wouldn't be a multi month or long term solution for me. I'm looking at the V20 now after having G2, G3, G4, V10 as my last 4 phones before switching to the Note 7. Of course I switch, this happens. The LG phone gods didn't like me switching.

Larcen26

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Replacement question "Non-techie"

I am not a hardcore tech guy and I am the opposite of an early adopter.

But I needed a new phone, and the Note 7 came out at just the right time.
And I love it. I really do. I have never had a piece of tech that I have liked this much.

But obviously, there are issues.

I asked on Facebook for input and all anyone there said was “Get an iPhone!”
So I thought I would ask here for a little help from some people more knowledgeable than I.

I am currently looking at the S7 Edge and Google Pixel as replacements but here are my thoughts/concerns (And remember, I am not a techie):

S7E – It looks and feels almost identical to the Note 7, and the interface is pretty much the same as far as I can tell. But it is a “lesser” phone and only comes in 32 GB. I filled the Note to 20 GB without blinking and don’t want to fill the new phone the day I get it…though I may be overestimating how long it would take to fill the last 12 GB, especially with my music and pictures going to the SD card. I upgraded from a Galaxy S4, so I have worked with the interface for a few years and know it. I also bought at Best Buy, and I know they have these readily available whenever I choose to go in. I already have Micro USB cables floating around, even though I have replaced them with the C. But frankly, I feel a little burned (no pun intended) by Samsung.

Pixel – It definitely isn’t a downgrade, and I have all of these USB C Cables lying around that will be basically useless for years at best. It has the 128 GB which is nice, especially since I would be giving up the SD Card. But I know nothing about it really outside of the technical specs, which mean little to me. What differences are there for the average user vs. the Galaxy series?

I would get something to tide me over until the Note 8, but frankly, I am not that kind of guy and will end up milking whatever phone I buy up until the last breath. I also heard a rumor that the reason the 7’s are exploding is that Samsung upgraded the battery at the last minute to compete with the iPhone 7 and didn’t properly vette it. So my confidence that a rushed Note 8 will be flawless is not high.

Any thoughts? Help? Ideas? Questions?

Thanks!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: S7 Edge or Note 5?

Traded my silver note 7 today for a silver s7 edge.. Seems like a very good phone.. I've had note 3 4 5 and 7 and really did not use the pen at all so no loss there.

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: Replacement question "Non-techie"

Note 8 will not come out probably until late next year. So they have plenty of time to work it over.
As far as storage on S7 Edge, it can take an SD card up to 256gb. Hence their promotion of either a free Gear VR or 256gb card which unfortunately the purchase deadline ended yesterday. But Samsung always have ongoing promotions, especially now with S7/S7Edge as their 'main' flagship considering what's happening with the Note 7.
I'm not interested and know nothing about the Pixel so can't help you with that.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

So I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the Pixel XL.

I love my Note 7, but the drama/safety factor is just too high, especially since I will need to fly some in the next year.. I will miss the wireless charging (which I still can't believe the Pixel omitted), the water resistance, and maybe .. maybe the great Note 7 camera. Though one of the factors that made me pull the trigger is how good some of the early user photos look (AA has some great comparison shots taken from the Google event).

So long Note 7, I hardly knew ya! :-(

Larcen26

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site

Note 8 will not come out probably until late next year. So they have plenty of time to work it over.
As far as storage on S7 Edge, it can take an SD card up to 256gb. Hence there promotion of either a free Gear VR or 256gb card which unfortunately the purchase deadline ended yesterday. But Samsung always have ongoing promotions, especially now with S7/S7Edge as their 'main' flagship considering what's happening with the Note 7.

I see what you are saying, but my problem isn't the files that are easily put on the Card, like music and pictures, but apps and other things that live on the phone. I was able to move some apps to the card on my S4, but every time they upgraded, they would move back to the phone so I had an almost daily annoyance of upkeep that I could never get past. And I couldn't find how to move the Apps on the Note 7 to the card, so I assumed it was the same on the Edge.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I am not a hardcore tech guy and I am the opposite of an early adopter.

But I needed a new phone, and the Note 7 came out at just the right time.
And I love it. I really do. I have never had a piece of tech that I have liked this much.

But obviously, there are issues....

Pixel – It definitely isn’t a downgrade, and I have all of these USB C Cables lying around that will be basically useless for years at best. It has the 128 GB which is nice, especially since I would be giving up the SD Card. But I know nothing about it really outside of the technical specs, which mean little to me. What differences are there for the average user vs. the Galaxy series? ...
Thanks!

I have a replacement Note 7, and I just pulled the trigger on the Pixel XL. I posted the below info to what became the top of this merged thread, I'll copy it here. These are comparisons of what is important to me vs the Note 7. There are other differences for sure, but these are the ones that impact me:

Pros of the Pixel XL :
- Fast fast fast. Every hands-on, and early "review" talks about just how fast and optimized everything is.
- Android 7.1 out of the box (cool long press actions, split screen for every app, Doze 2.0, etc)
- Fast updates (if you don't buy through Verizon - and even then you'll have the newest OS faster than other phones, just way slower than unlocked Pixels)
- Google Assistant. I love this tech on Allo, I ordered Google Home and Assistant seems great to me.
- Unlimited Photo and Video storage at full quality on Google Photos

The Pixel XL negatives compared to the Note 7 IMO (the negatives I care about anyway):
- No waterproofing at all
- No Wireless charging (uggh, really? in 2016?)
- Good screen on the Pixel, but not Note 7 quality
- Rear fingerprint sensor (I keep my phone on the desk next to me a lot. I would now have to pick up the phone every single time to unlock it - yeah I know, #FirstWorldProblems :)
- "Pure" Android, or "Google's" Android now. I always found stock Android bland and lacking features compared to TouchWiz. Though the newest OS versions catch up somewhat.

Unknown:
- Unknown camera quality, sort of. Some early tests and photos I have seen look very very promising, but no credible (for me) reviews of the camera are out yet. These comparison shots of the Pixel from AA look pretty great IMO.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Time to switch

This absolutely sucks. While I'm not too upset that I'll go with the V20, I'm unhappy that Sammy is obviously hiding something and isn't being forthright in their investigation and communication process. Not sure I'll go back to a Samsung phone - or any other electronic device.

Wifey and I are in the market for a washer, dryer and a dishwasher. No way I'll consider them in the short term. I was never a fanboy, but I did like the Galaxy line (from the S3, Note 3 and up). I had the V10 for the couple weeks before i got my replacement N7 an liked it (the battery was turrrble (Charles Barkley voice), but the rest of the phone was pretty good.

I was in store playing with the V20 just a few minutes ago. I put in the pre-order online and should receive in about 2 weeks. Using my Nexus 5X until then. So disappointed. 4 or 5 friggin phones in a matter of a month. I'm tired of setting these up each time.

Which store has the V20? I really dont like LG, but I will give it a shot if i can look at it.

neemer5

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Trade in Note 7 for Galaxy S8?

Yes, I know that reads weird, but I really like the upgraded UI for the Note 7, and I have all these USB-C accessories that I can't return.
Speaking with T-Mobile, I asked how long I have to return my Note, and the operator said that at this time, there is no deadline, but to keep an eye out for one.
Seeing that we are roughly 4 months away from the S8 being released, do you guys think it's feasible to hold out until the S8 comes out before trading in?

Larcen26

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site

- "Pure" Android, or "Google's" Android now. I always found stock Android bland and lacking features compared to TouchWiz. Though the newest OS versions catch up somewhat.
So...not a techie...as mentioned above...
What are the differences...honestly didn't know that there were multiple versions out there.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: Time to switch

Unfortunately even if I wanted to return my phone, I bought it through Best Buy. Best Buy in my city is not honoring Verizon's exchange.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Trade in Note 7 for Galaxy S8?

Yes, I know that reads weird, but I really like the upgraded UI for the Note 7, and I have all these USB-C accessories that I can't return.
Speaking with T-Mobile, I asked how long I have to return my Note, and the operator said that at this time, there is no deadline, but to keep an eye out for one.
Seeing that we are roughly 4 months away from the S8 being released, do you guys think it's feasible to hold out until the S8 comes out before trading in?

I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me. I'd at least wait until a worthy option is available (everyone's individual preference and options will vary from situation to situation), and take that (which I did for myself). Most of us didn't or don't want to give up our "perfect phone", but the risks far outweigh the benefits at this particular point, IMO.

Those available options may not be what you prefer to do, but really, you do have options.

aCubs_fan

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site

Also had a few occurrences where I have had to restart it because the pulldown menu doesn't work and also 2 0r three times were the entire network connection disappeared and I had to restart it for that as well

I've had the same exact issues with mine (T-Mobile). Also a ton of lag and apps not responding.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I've had the same exact issues with mine (T-Mobile). Also a ton of lag and apps not responding.
I'll probably hold onto the S7 edge for quite awhile, at least into next year and just go from there. So far no real issues with this one. It did get pretty warm while doing a software update but cooled right down after

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Depends on what the S8 edge is like or whatever the larger screen version is called. The last couple years it seems people to the the Edge device from a Note, then get the Note when it comes out. This year a lot of Note 5 users got the S7 Edge, then got the Note 7.

If I like the S8 Edge I might get rid of the S7 edge, or wait for the Note. If the S8 doesn't look all that much of an upgrade I will wait for the Note 8 then.

honeybrownfan

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

Thankfully I still have my trusty Note 4 sitting in a drawer at home. If the replacement N7s get recalled, I'll use the the former until the s8 is released.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

If Samsung is anywhere close to ready with the s8, they might want to release it soon. Maybe offer exchange cards for the s8 or n8 when they come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463