Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: How many are switching from N7 to Iphone 7 Plus?

Based on gsmarena: The V20 got 63hr battery endurance rating vs S7 edge (SD820) 87hr and 98hr for exynos. not sure about IP7+ but IP6+ had 85hr rating.

Hmmm, so not as good. Wonder how good it is with normal use though.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I switched and I have to admit, I really like it. It's just so fast and works so... well. No regrets, none.

I do however miss the S-Pen and fast charging. I'll still give Samsung another shot next year.

Switched to what?

Note4Ever

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Why don't you get a Note 4 instead ?

Look , i know i'm going to sound like a cave dwelling neanderthal who's come to show you his cave scribbles but hear me out .

The Tech media is all about NEW NEW NEW !!!!! They get paid to run advertisements for NEW phones , not old ones . I Remember when the Note 5 came out and everyone was falling over themselves to talk about how great it was , while forgetting they took away the removable battery , Mico-SD slot , IR-blaster ect ...

Same thing with the note 7 , ITS THE BEST PHONE IN THE WORLD EVER ~~~ the sealed in battery is an AWESOME idea!!!! Really ? Why ? so you're forced to go out and get a new phone in two years ? or so that you can go swimming with your phone , which is something no one would do even if they have a phone that has water resistance .

The USER difference between the note 4 and the note 7 is NEGLIGIBLE ... If you use your phone to run benchmarks , then yes you'll love the 7 more ( but no one actually DOES that , they don't MAKE the phones for you to run benchmarks all day ) ...

As for the Galaxy gear ? WOOOO , haven't seen a single soul outside of their home with one on their face . Real tech guys have ACTUAL gaming setups at home and don't need the google cardboard of VR . ( and saying you DID want gear VR , go to youtube and you can actually modify the current Galaxy gear to be compatible with the note 4 )

The hardest part about accepting the fact that the note 7 isn't that much more useful than the note 4 is the mental block in many peoples heads that's been put their by the media and advertising companies ... i know it was a struggle on my part . GOTTA HAVE THE LATEST , GOTTA HAVE THE BEST , it's seared into your brain ....but what difference does an extra GB of Ram make ? so i can only have three apps running concurrently instead of 4 ?

i had to force myself to sit down and weight the pro's and cons ,at the end of the day the 4 was the clear winner , but even then it was a fight to accept that a phone from 2014 was a better fit for me as a consumer than a phone from 2016 ,

If you don't need the Iris scanner , if you don't care that your phone isn't shiny because you put it in a case , if you can live with 3 GB's ram instead of 4 , and if you don't go swimming with your phone or drop it in the toilet ....Then what do you need a note 7 for ?

You can more than easily live with a galaxy note 4 , which will cost you less in accessories and purchase price ...

I urge any true note fan out there NOT to buy into needless hype , really THINK about getting a note 4 , you can still buy them brand new from B&H photo .... i got mine there last month unlocked and all the accessories were half off (amazon) ... i'm absolutely loving my phone and there isn't a thing i can't do with my phone that you can do with a note 7 .

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

My wife's older iPhoto connected during Hurricane Matthew while my Note 3 did not. In the same room!
Her battery life is a notch above my Note 3 and her GPS doesn't seem to suck down the battery near as much. I would not expect either one to see service on a hike (tho my Note3 surprised with getting a call out me last month on the AT west of Damascus).
We are paid up and about to update both phones. Love the stylus on the Note series, reason I bought my 3, but looks like, cause of Note7 issues, it's iPhones for the both of us next iteration with AT&T😕.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

I just stopped by our local store to look around. Was hoping to get my hands on new tech but they haven't updated yet.

I did, however checkout the iPhone 7plus. Not a bad device at all, but it's not a N7 either. Coming from a 6plus, the iPhone felt familiar though. Boring, but familiar.

I wasnt thrilled with the S7E but it's not bad. Might consider that option. The phone I did like was the v10 which now has me curious about the v20. Might be my next phone if the N7 gets cancelled.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

Cool to see some new insights surfacing about these two phones.

It's great to hear that the V20 looks/feels responsive. Reports I've read indicate that it's way snappier than the N7 - like clearly snappier. The battery is still a concern for me as is long-term support, which has not been a real strong suit for LG.

The Pixel still intrigues me somehow, even though there are fewer features. Although total eye candy, check out the custom case site. :)

Since I bought my N7 at Sam's Club, there are some confounding aspects of the return/refund process. Currently, Sam's Club does not have a policy to return/refund N7's, unless you are willing to give up/return any gift card promos you may have received back in August. My local SC Manager is willing to contact SC Corporate today to work-out a sensible return arrangement for me, given the fact that as of today, Samsung has halted N7 production, and all major US carriers are offering immediate returns/refunds due to safety concerns - with no questions asked about prior promos received. B/c I have no faith in SC, I also have VZW Executive Relations working on a return arrangement for me as well. What a PIA!

My take is that it's time for me to let go of the N7, and since I didn't purchase my N7 at a VZW store, I have to finagle my return process.

So, I'll be in the market for either one of these phones soon.
As of now, I really don't lean towards one or the other.
-bk

Note4Ever

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site

I'm not sure if the new Thread i started on the Note 7 forum will get approved because i'm so new , so i'll repost it here , these are just my two cents .

Look , i know i'm going to sound like a cave dwelling neanderthal who's come to show you his cave scribbles but hear me out .

The Tech media is all about NEW NEW NEW !!!!! They get paid to run advertisements for NEW phones , not old ones . I Remember when the Note 5 came out and everyone was falling over themselves to talk about how great it was , while forgetting they took away the removable battery , Mico-SD slot , IR-blaster ect ...

Same thing with the note 7 , ITS THE BEST PHONE IN THE WORLD EVER ~~~ the sealed in battery is an AWESOME idea!!!! Really ? Why ? so you're forced to go out and get a new phone in two years ? or so that you can go swimming with your phone , which is something no one would do even if they have a phone that has water resistance .

The USER difference between the note 4 and the note 7 is NEGLIGIBLE ... If you use your phone to run benchmarks , then yes you'll love the 7 more ( but no one actually DOES that , they don't MAKE the phones for you to run benchmarks all day ) ...

As for the Galaxy gear ? WOOOO , haven't seen a single soul outside of their home with one on their face . Real tech guys have ACTUAL gaming setups at home and don't need the google cardboard of VR . ( and saying you DID want gear VR , go to youtube and you can actually modify the current Galaxy gear to be compatible with the note 4 )

The hardest part about accepting the fact that the note 7 isn't that much more useful than the note 4 is the mental block in many peoples heads that's been put their by the media and advertising companies ... i know it was a struggle on my part . GOTTA HAVE THE LATEST , GOTTA HAVE THE BEST , it's seared into your brain ....but what difference does an extra GB of Ram make ? so i can only have three apps running concurrently instead of 4 ?

i had to force myself to sit down and weight the pro's and cons ,at the end of the day the 4 was the clear winner , but even then it was a fight to accept that a phone from 2014 was a better fit for me as a consumer than a phone from 2016 ,

If you don't need the Iris scanner , if you don't care that your phone isn't shiny because you put it in a case , if you can live with 3 GB's ram instead of 4 , and if you don't go swimming with your phone or drop it in the toilet ....Then what do you need a note 7 for ?

You can more than easily live with a galaxy note 4 , which will cost you less in accessories and purchase price ...

I urge any true note fan out there NOT to buy into needless hype , really THINK about getting a note 4 , you can still buy them brand new from B&H photo .... i got mine there last month unlocked and all the accessories were half off (amazon) ... i'm absolutely loving my phone and there isn't a thing i can't do with my phone that you can do with a note 7 .

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I've tried iPhones.. It's a been there done that for me. Not doing it.

No1up

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
OK, so now what?

Samsung needs to put out an official statement instead of leaving us hanging... what do we do with the devices?!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes. The 821 is just a souped up 820. But one of the areas it was souped in (a faster-running GPU that is the same base version) happens to have made a significant difference, especially with Android 7 and in future versions. It makes a dramatic difference in the way Nougat runs, too, because of so much dependency on the GPU in recent versions of Android, but the 820 still runs Nougat well.

Android 7 requires Open GL ES 3.1+Android extensions or Vulkan to render the UI. The Snapdragon 820 supports these. It does not support any newer graphics APIs. I believe it could, but any support for anything further has to come from Qualcomm.

If the next version of Android requires Open GL ES 3.2 (a safe bet since it's been stable and in use since June of this year) The Snapdragon 820 will not meet the minimum requirements. Qualcomm has always "forgotten" capable chips rather than update them. They no longer manufacture the 820, so they waste no resources on it. If you need Open GL ES 3.2 for your project, you buy a Snapdragon 821 which will be supported. That's fine unless you want to revisit older products and update their software.

If Google gets Android O out the door before the two-year support window for the Nexus 6P is over, they will expect Qualcomm to deliver the software required to support it on the 810 as part of the contract. If they support the 810, they'll likely support the 820. This actually happened with the 2013 Nexus 7. It shipped with Jellybean. The update to KitKat requires a higher version of Open GL than the CPU supported. Qualcomm said no. Google said yes. The back and forth continued until Google was able to force Qualcomm to honor the contract and the Nexus 7 was updated (months after the Nexus 5). We also lost Jean-Baptist Quereu, the man working for Google who was the best friend the Android community ever had over the issue, as he couldn't take that kind of stress again and went to Yahoo to be their senior developer. Thanks, Qulacomm.

Until that happens, you can't count on anything. If you want to be sure whatever you buy will run Android O, you need to buy something with at least a Qualcomm 821 if it has a Qualcomm CPU. I know Bill Yi — the fellow who took over for Mr. Quereu — will fight just as hard for it to happen if it does fall under the support window. I also know the people writing the software will try to get at least a rudimentary version of O out before the two-year period is up. But trying is not the same as being sure.

This could (and probably will one day) be solved through a software graphics API. New games run on older graphics cards on your computer because Open GL or Direct X can filter what the graphics card supports, then not use the things it doesn't support in your game. But for now, things that have a GPU dependency on mobile use direct access to the hardware, so the chip makers support is required. That's a big part of the reason the iPhone gets updated longer and runs better/smoother. Apple makes both the chip and the software. Same thing with Exynos and Galaxy S phones. They can code in support for older versions of the hardware, and make the hardware itself with the future in mind.

Google is trying something similar with the Pixel and an off-the-shelf CPU by tailoring their own Android build to a very specific set of GPU instructions for UI acceleration. But the Android team — not the Google Hardware division who makes the Pixel — still has to have more generic support and a way people like LG or Samsung or Google's hardware division can build their version to support their hardware.

This $hit's hard y'all. Most of us (me included) have no idea exactly how hard it is.

So if I read you correctly it could go either way with Android 8.0 compatibility with the 810 and 820 depending on the release date.

Last edited:

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: OK, so now what?

The only thing Samsung has impressed me with so far is their ability to make a bad situation worse.

bobxxz

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why don't you get a Note 4 instead ?

I came from a Note 4 and to be honest, Note 4 has too much lag and battery life is not as good as Note 7.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

It was snappier than my N7. It was very noticeable even though it didn't have much installed on it.

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: OK, so now what?

I'm in the same boat. I have no idea what to do. To make it worse, I already sold my MXPE and the only other phone I want (Axon 7) doesn't even bloody work on Verizon. This whole situation has been just awful.

Note4Ever

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why don't you get a Note 4 instead ?

So if i said you could have a Brand new Honda Civic from 2014 for half off , vs a Brand New Honda civic from 2016 at full price , would you still feel the same ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon