Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Statement from Samsung

I would think there would be a lot of regulatory hoops to go through for them to justify gimping thousands of devices in the USA. Not that it wouldn't happen as it's easy enough to treat all Note 7s are stolen, give the IMEI to GSMA, and deny service en masse. It's just would appear to be a regulatory nightmare to do it. They can do an update like they did in South Korea and gimp the Note 7 to 60% max battery...but that'll just mean I'll have the same capacity as a V20 LOL.

As for resale, I don't buy phones for that. I'll just turn the Note 7 in for a refund once the S8 comes out and buy that with the proceeds. So far there has been no official expiration date for the return.

Nope....safety issue. They ban it, tell you to turn it in within 30 days and they brick the phone. Done. Safety issue. The safety of the many and the protection of people from harming themselves comes 1st.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: OK, so now what?

I believe that if Samsung doesn't offer a free phone they will lose a lot of customers. I don't have a phone to fall back to I have to replace my phone. If I get a free phone I can hold on until the next note replacement comes out. If I don't get a free phone I will move on. To me its all about customer retention. We see...

I agree that Samsung should offer a free phone if the Note 7s are going to eventually get bricked, because I can tell you already Verizon is going to be a beast to deal with if there is no other phone you want and you want to remain in the Annual Upgrade Program, which is what I signed up for with the Note 7.

Right now the only phones I could trade in for that gets me in the program are the new iPhones and that ain't happening.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I am not usually into the freebies or the "they owe me attitude" kind of guy but I am pretty bitter after this one. I have been jacked around for months now from this N7 and wasted countless hours at BB from. Samsung F-up. Even though Samsung didn't purposely set out to screw us...... I feel screwed and have a bad taste in my mouth now when I hear the name Samsung. And the lack of good replacement choice makes it 100x worse. I wouldn't even have upgraded early if it wasn't for this phone.

Who is going to pay for my anger, most likely Samsung and I am sure many will feel the same way. I can't believe Samsung isn't giving some sort of incentive to get N7 owners to jump to another Samsung device. They can stick the 25$ gift card up their a$$! Phones are a major part of out life's these days.

I also upgraded early and would not have if not for this phone. I feel screwed over too by Samsung.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

It's really messed up even though ATT has signs about the Note 7 Recall (First one) and the store reps say it's not being made anymore and won't carry it. Yet at least 3 ATT employees on their holster or in hand have a note 7 (presumably replacement) but it can't be sold anymore.

I really don't know. The gear VR seems amazing and aside from daydream that's the only viable option for mobile VR. The S7 too small and s7 edge screen is horrible. If anything Samsung should push out the grace ux update to those two. Would make them a little better. Speaking as someone who used a s7 edge loaner for almost a month.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I agree that Samsung should offer a free phone if the Note 7s are going to eventually get bricked, because I can tell you already Verizon is going to be a beast to deal with if there is no other phone you want and you want to remain in the Annual Upgrade Program, which is what I signed up for with the Note 7.

Right now the only phones I could trade in for that gets me in the program are the new iPhones and that ain't happening.

I had the same question with Verizon about the annual upgrade program. Damn shame they are all but gone except for the Iphone. I'm sure it's doable on their end....a few mouse clicks and walla!

g2manhou

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site

I'm on vacation in Cancun. I had a layover in Mexico City. Even in Mexico the flight attendants are asking all Note 7 users to power down.

Irony? In Mexico City's airport "Samsung" is plastered all over the place. Samsung charging stations all over the place!

This is frustrating when I can't even use this $850 device for what it's intended. Boring flights with nothing to do. Sigh.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Nothing is obvious. They're asking people to power down so Samsung can cover their asses before someone really gets hurt. But nowhere does it imply that a final and mandatory recall is in order.
Well Samsung would love everyone to power down and KEEP their bricks.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Nope....safety issue. They ban it, tell you to turn it in within 30 days and they brick the phone. Done. Safety issue. The safety of the many and the protection of people from harming themselves comes 1st.

This is possible. They would have to warn people with a deadline and 30 days seems about right.

Greatest device ever thwarted by pi$$ poor QC and recall containment. They obviously had more devices and finished batteries as well that were then put into devices that were also bad.

Seriously, they deserve the wrath if the next Note has a sealed battery. Seems a replaceable battery would bridge the trust gap. At a minimum, it would literally save billions on another recall ;)

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

never, i am quite literally a very stubborn person. i will keep mine until they actually disable it.
You're not alone. In either case. I have my husband and all three (grown) kids sending me texts and emails to every stinkin' story the past two days. Funny story - I flew this past weekend for the first time in six years. From NJ to Vegas with a layover in Denver on Fri, and non-stop back to NJ (returned 2am this morning). First flight, not a word. Denver to NV, an announcement that all Samsung Note 7's, both pre and post-recall must be turned off. Nothing on the return trip.

I used mine on all flights. The funny part was that on the Denver -> NV flight, the only one with an announcement, the flight attendant was talking to the gentleman sitting next to me. Asked who he flies for (don't think he was a pilot, but not sure), and he said Southwestern. About 5 minutes later he takes out and powers on his (green batteried) Note 7. Showed him mine and we both started laughing. He shrugged and said, "I'm not worried." I said, "Me either". All was fine.

But now I'm sad if they do end up disabling it. If that's the case, and they do stop producing it, then I believe vouchers for free N8's are in order for us ;)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

You can exchange it for a different phone. You can get a refund and buy a different phone. You don't deserve a free phone when you've been given these options.

I agreed with this 1000% after the initial recall. Now, I'm not so sure. I'm not saying they owe me a free phone or anything, but they burned me HARD the first time. I stuck with them and refused to get anything different, so like a fool I believed they'd fixed the problem and got a replacement. Then I find out they just threw a dart at a dartboard and guessed at the problem, and guessed wrong. So now i'm pissed. I'm sick of making trips to stupid AT&T, and i'm sick of setting up new phones. I feel like they ought to do something for us suckers who tried our best to stick with them. They potentially put my life in danger twice now. The first time I chalked it up to accidents happening. This second time is completely them being lazy and not caring one bit about the safety of their consumer.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

What's even worse than the note 7 death is the device choices avail this month ND coming weeks. How could the choices be so poor right now?? First time EVER my mind gave iPhone a thought for a few quick seconds. We are SCREWED!!

I agree with you - and I'm still giving it thought!

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Trade in Note 7 for Galaxy S8?

I got notes placed in my account to allow me to exchange as sooon as the lg v20 comes in or as soon as it's available for preorder....I will just use an older device I have lying around if they exchange my note 7 and allow me to preorder

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I had the same question with Verizon about the annual upgrade program. Damn shame they are all but gone except for the Iphone. I'm sure it's doable on their end....a few mouse clicks and walla!

Exactly and Verizon, along with Samsung, should do what is needed to make things right. A few mouse clicks and it can be done. My brother is ready to jump ship to the new LG. Samsung is losing customers fast.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

You're not alone. In either case. I have my husband and all three (grown) kids sending me texts and emails to every stinkin' story the past two days. Funny story - I flew this past weekend for the first time in six years. From NJ to Vegas with a layover in Denver on Fri, and non-stop back to NJ (returned 2am this morning). First flight, not a word. Denver to NV, an announcement that all Samsung Note 7's, both pre and post-recall must be turned off. Nothing on the return trip.

I used mine on all flights. The funny part was that on the Denver -> NV flight, the only one with an announcement, the flight attendant was talking to the gentleman sitting next to me. Asked who he flies for (don't think he was a pilot, but not sure), and he said Southwestern. About 5 minutes later he takes out and powers on his (green batteried) Note 7. Showed him mine and we both started laughing. He shrugged and said, "I'm not worried." I said, "Me either". All was fine.

But now I'm sad if they do end up disabling it. If that's the case, and they do stop producing it, then I believe vouchers for free N8's are in order for us ;)

I seriously doubt most flight attendants can tell the difference between a Note 7, LG V10, Google Pixel, iPhone 7 Plus, S7 Edge, especially if they're in cases, to justify telling you to turn off your phone anyway. Only way to be sure is to ban all cell phone usage in planes lol.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Exactly and Verizon, along with Samsung, should do what is needed to make things right. A few mouse clicks and it can be done. My brother is ready to jump ship to the new LG. Samsung is losing customers fast.

I thought about the LG but I dunno....maybe that one will slide into the annual program.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

OH how nice of the both of you to make that decision for everyone on the plane. And this is why they need to brick the phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.