Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Statement from Samsung

I used mine on all flights. The funny part was that on the Denver -> NV flight, the only one with an announcement, the flight attendant was talking to the gentleman sitting next to me. Asked who he flies for (don't think he was a pilot, but not sure), and he said Southwestern. About 5 minutes later he takes out and powers on his (green batteried) Note 7. Showed him mine and we both started laughing. He shrugged and said, "I'm not worried." I said, "Me either". All was fine.

How nice to see people proudly discussing their selfishness like this.

This is why Samsung should brick the phones.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Statement from Samsung

Well Samsung would love everyone to power down and KEEP their bricks.

Truth. Lots of savings then for them. My guess is that if the Note 7 is getting banned, CPSC will update and consumers will be given a deadline. Samsung would probably then send an update gimping the device to a small charge level and then kill the IEMI numbers sometime afterwards. 30 day window of doom is a decent bet.

This would all be part of the CPSC publication. If they go that way, which seems fairly possible. The CPSC has not concluded yet and are still investigating, but taking no chances.

Probably next few weeks for final findings. Seems pretty doomed at this point. Would be surprised if not.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: OK, so now what?

My solution was to go back to the iPhone and buy a shiny new Apple Watch. I'm loving it. I like the extra features on Android, but nothing beats the smoothness and synergy of iOS and other Apple devices.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

How nice to see people proudly discussing their selfishness like this.

This is why Samsung should brick the phones.
I'm not selfish. I'm skeptical. First, as of yesterday (early am today), there was NO official word from Samsung yet. AND only one of three flights mentioned using it.

Also, my biggest issue is that of the replacement phones, unless I've missed it, other than one owner allowing an xray, Samsung has not received ANY of these what, 7? 10? phones to verify they are indeed the replacements. My feeling (because it's not officially stated otherwise) is that this "shut-off" warning is CYA. This is not yet a recall. I would think if they knew for certain that these were truly replacements, it would very quickly become a recall just as it has before.

It's not selfish to not join the unverified hype. At best it's a corporate statement that seems to simply be a way to prevent liability. Thus far Samsung has not verified these were replacement devices. The owners stated that. We all know not all of the previous fires were legit.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

Lg v20 since att not getting pixel xl only verizon which totally sucks google

ATT will be getting the pixel phones at the beginning of November.....if you go do some googling....thats what seems likely

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

You can buy the Pixel XL from Google and it will work on any carrier.

Except that practically every single option is out of stock and Google seems to really suck at keeping their crap in stock on the Play Store. I went there, and they were out of blue, out of 128 GB, and out of the XL.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site

Nope....safety issue. They ban it, tell you to turn it in within 30 days and they brick the phone. Done. Safety issue. The safety of the many and the protection of people from harming themselves comes 1st.

My question is why the CPSC, Samsung, the Carriers, and GSMA haven't yet done a en masse brick of the original Note 7s still in circulation which was already stated to be a safety concern? Why now and not before? Samsung said only 50% of people have already turned them in with no expressed expiration date. The green battery update was supposed to gimp your battery to 60% but it was a voluntary update LOL.

The safety issues were made clear with the first round of recalls and if it was so easy to do, it should've been done. I still think the regulatory hoops are too much to push out an IMEI brick. Then again there are no precedents for this type of situation so we'll see what happens.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

AND only one of three flights mentioned using it.

And yet you did not comply with that request, which was made for the safety of the plane, passengers, and crew.

Prioritizing your enjoyment over the safety of the others is selfishness.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

So Note7 owners, what will you get instead?

For now I am not powering down this phone until I am forced to do so. I upgraded early for this phone. I sold my Note 4 last week. I am in a pickle for sure since there are no other phones out there right now that match my needs like this phone. I am not sure yet what I am going to do if I am forced to return this phone. All I can say for sure is this whole thing has put me in a bad mood.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
How many are switching from N7 to Iphone 7 Plus?

I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus. I hadn't used iOS since the iPhone 5 and I'm pleasantly surprised by some of the nice changes that Apple has incorporated. The Note 7 is still my phone of choice (still have it) wish this crap wasn't happening but oh well...

Here are my iPhone pain points:

1. Notifications. Oh god it's terrible. I can't quickly swipe to dismiss. When I read a notification in an app it doesn't clear in the Notification Center. They are just more annoying than helpful.

2. Now playing music controls suck. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it doesn't always show up. It could be my using Spotify Connect or my Sonos but I never had these issues with my Note

3. Can't set default applications

4. Multitasking/side by side apps. This feature is available on the iPad and I wish that Apple would include it on the phones.

5. No double press the home button to launch the camera. This one hurts. I'm so used to this having had a Note 5, S7 Edge and the Note 7. Easily one of my favorite things about Samsung phones.

6. Hate the way open apps are displayed. Makes it harder to jump back and forth between open apps. I end up scrolling to quickly and missing things.

7. LastPass support is just not the same.

8. No Samsung pay

9.no pen

10. no wireless charging.

11. Note 7 is the best looking phone ever made.

Here are the things I like:

1. Raise to wake combined with resting your finger on the home button. I unlock my phone with little to no effort. Not having to press a button is awesome.

2. Spotlight search. I don't understand how Google is the king of search but Spotlight on iOS beats Googles in-app and phone search hands down.

3. I like the way iOS does widgets. I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I feel like Android developers don't care about widgets anymore. The ones on iOS are better in my opinion.

4. Most of the Google apps I've used are better on the iPhone. They either load faster or have a better interface.

5. I've been told the I sound great on the speaker phone with this phone vs. my Note 7

6. 3D Touch. I don't know why people are calling this a gimmick. I want this for Android. Don't care what you call it. Love hard pressing on my reddit app and getting a list of my favorite subreddits. Or I love pressing on the phone app and getting my favorites.

7. I have found that some third party apps are better on iOS though this isn't always true. Some of my favorite Android apps are missing from iOS.

8. Siri always on. Why Samsung cripples their phones with S-Voice is beyond me. It's a waste. Siri is better than S Voice but not better than OK Google but the fact that I can get to her without touching my phones is awesome.

9. iOS stock keyboard is probably one of the most accurate keyboards imo.

10. Can make calls from my iPad even when my iPhone is off.

11. More apps support Touch ID. So many apps have fingerprint support on iOS than on Android.

A apple fan would enjoy every worthless feature in the iPhone........the phone itself is a gimmick and a highly closed in environment....and the design is beyond hideous in the modern smartphone world....I don't want a phone that half bezel half screen....

chubz#IM

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site

Basically Samsung knows the Note 7 is done. Perception sells and perception can become a stigma. Unfortunately when a phone that already had a recall, catches fire on a plane...bad things happen.

What Samsung needs to do here is, take another huge hit in the pocket. Regroup, refocus and move forward. That's all they can do.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

If Samsung is this close to losing me, things are BAD for them. I'm not a Samsung fanboy per se, but I am a Note fanboy for sure.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Trade in Note 7 for Galaxy S8?

I'm betting they fix the Note 7, rebrand it as the Note 8, release it along side the S8, and eliminate the edge series.

The Note 7 name is ruined, there is no reason to have an edge series that is so close to the Note, and this would end having two large releases each year.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

And yet you did not comply with that request, which was made for the safety of the plane, passengers, and crew.

Prioritizing your enjoyment over the safety of the others is selfishness.

When only one of three flights, on the same airline, was making a statement that was NOT based on the FAA guidelines (not sure what it is today, but at the time of my flights on Fri and this morning it was only stating to not use the recalled devices, and even described the green batteries) but on then only media reports, then no, I did not "comply". If those flights were today, AFTER Samsung stated to power down, I would have.

I won't be flying again anytime soon, so for me that point is moot. As for my own use, I will continue to use it unless it is recalled again. Stopped before, will again.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site

Well sh*t. What now? Sigh. Ugh
f8b479fa961d0feca07fe5b224b14cde.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads