Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Statement from Samsung

I'm not selfish. I'm skeptical. First, as of yesterday (early am today), there was NO official word from Samsung yet. AND only one of three flights mentioned using it.

Being skeptical is one thing; being skeptical in an an enclosed pressurized cabin with other people who may be endangered by your disbelief is another. Liken it to those who don't vaccinate because of whatever stupid reason and therefore endanger the children of other people because of their negligence. In both cases the actual risk is low, but it's much higher than if people chose not to gamble with the lives of others. A fire in an airplane or jet while in flight, if not detected immediately, can create a scenario where 10 to 30 minutes is the maximum time to become non-survivable. They have the option to land, but as we've seen with many emergency maneuvers, getting safely to the ground within a few minutes is not always possible.

Now, I am NOT suggesting that your intent was to cause harm - I have no idea what your intentions are or were. But when dozens or hundreds of lives are at stake, some people do become sensitive to risk introduced by the lack of compliance with precautionary safety instructions.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure the people threatening to leave Samsung forever around here because of the way they've been "treated" would be the first to trade in their new phones for a S8 when it comes out. :p

After all it's about having the latest and greatest around here...

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: OK, so now what?

That's exactly what I'll be doing tomorrow until I figure out what's next. May go with the Pixel XL, may look at the V20, but I'm putting my sim back in my MXPE tomorrow and will just use that for the time being.
Gave mine to one of my sons. Still have my Note 4 though...

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen

Please use this thread to discuss replacement choices.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Prioritizing your enjoyment over the safety of the others is selfishness.

On the other two flights I was not selfish then??

Again, at the time of my flights, Samsung had not issued the "power down", and FAA said the replacements were OK. Two flights said nothing. Explain how I was prioritizing my enjoyment over others on those flights. A pilot is not qualified to determine something is unsafe if the FAA deems it is.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
re: What replacement phone are you considering or have you already chosen?

Except that practically every single option is out of stock and Google seems to really suck at keeping their crap in stock on the Play Store. I went there, and they were out of blue, out of 128 GB, and out of the XL.

Typical launch supply shortages...

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site

S7 edge is sold out in both stores near me and they don't know if they are getting them tomorrow.

I have no spare phone (except for my LG G5 brick). Want to see if i can return it to best buy, but i doubt it will work. I really don't want the Z force, V10 or HTC 10. ANd last iphone 7+ was sold 10 min before i got there.

What do i do?

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Being skeptical is one thing; being skeptical in an an enclosed pressurized cabin with other people who may be endangered by your disbelief is another. ....
Apparently the FAA was in disbelief at the time of my flights as well.

budven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

You can exchange it for a different phone. You can get a refund and buy a different phone. You don't deserve a free phone when you've been given these options.

Did you read my post? I will return it and get another phone and it may not be a Samsung phone. Samsung may lose a customer. If they provided me a free phone I would be happy to apply the refund to the next Note otherwise I will use the refund on another phone. For me the free phone is about customer retention rather than losing a customer.

I don't think Samsung owes me anything and it is fine if they don't provide me a free phone but if I was Samsung I would be concerned about customer retention. That is the point I am trying to make.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Nobody said that.

Explain how I was prioritizing my enjoyment over others on those flights.

Unless you were using your phone to bore or torture yourself, then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

You can make as many excuses as you want, but you were being selfish. If someone with an iPhone or other phone had ended up burning down your plane because their phone caught on fire and they were using it after they knew there were problems with it catching fire, they knew they really weren't supposed to be using it, AND they were instructed not to use it, I'm sure you would have no problem saying they were being selfish. But you probably wouldn't be able to say that because you'd likely be dead.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I am sorry but they need to do better by their customers and they can to me.....eg: even though I don't like the S7 edge, offer it at half price for customers that will take it if they return their replacement Note 7 and $100 off/credit towards the next Note or S series that will come out. Yes, they need to do better. End of story. They are too big to be offering a $25 credit towards your bill.....hell did anyone get the $25 credit during the first freaking recall? I am so done with them if they don't even try make this "second recall" or wateva they want to call it right! I am not into freebies either but that $25 is very insulting to me for a $900 device....that is turning out to be a major screw up.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Nobody said that.....
OK...

FAA as of today:

Pack Safe

"In light of recent incidents and concerns raised by Samsung about its recalled Galaxy Note 7 devices, the Federal Aviation Administration strongly advises passengers not to turn on or charge the recalled devices on board aircraft and not to stow them in any checked baggage. This does not apply to non-recalled Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices purchased September 15th, 2016, or later. The non-recalled devices have a green battery charge indicator on their screen."

I DO follow the rules, not a single pilot's opinion, inconsistent within his own airline.

ray689

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site

What process again? Where and how do you guys determine that another recall is coming? What if Samsung is able to identify a particular batch of phones that is defective, and ends up eliminating just one batch?!?!? Jesus Christ!

Wasn't the first recall supposed to do that? These are devices they "cleared" as safe.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Did you read my post? I will return it and get another phone and it may not be a Samsung phone. Samsung may lose a customer. If they provided me a free phone I would be happy to apply the refund to the next Note otherwise I will use the refund on another phone. For me the free phone is about customer retention rather than losing a customer.

Don't hold you breath on that free device. :D

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Not everyone wants the latest and greatest. I change my phone every year for a new Note since the first Note. Have you not been reading these posts? Some didn't even get the Note 5, they stayed with their Note 4 and then switched when the Note 7 came out. It's not a threat, it's us venting about how a company that screwed up twice isn't trying to make things right by their customers.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Again, at the time of my flights, Samsung had not issued the "power down", and FAA said the replacements were OK. Two flights said nothing. Explain how I was prioritizing my enjoyment over others on those flights. A pilot is not qualified to determine something is unsafe if the FAA deems it is.

Each passengers individual knowledge of the issues with the device didn't change between gates did it? Integrity can be described doing the right things because they're the right things, which would mean without prompting or just to gain praise or avoid scrutiny. Some people are unaware of the risks and the announcement would inform them (or the texts, emails, news, etc hopefully?) Those who know of the risk and choose to ignore it, regardless of the circumstances of doing so, are making a conscious decision.

This decision isn't like choosing between hot or mild sauce at Taco Bell - it's literally putting a device that's far more likely to experience unexpected combustion than almost any other device that consumers will bring on board - and it's in an enclosed, pressurized environment complete with oxygen zoning and no escape route. The potential for great harm is what transitions this decision from benign choices to an ethical one. There are very few veins in normative ethics that will mandate making a decision of import against the will of another without a specified higher duty to do so. Even hedonism would preclude such a decision when it joins with utilitarianism and recognizes the potential for great harm weighed against a tiny moment of inconvenience to one.

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm no longer allowed to have a different opinion so I'll just leave with this...Samsung has done everything short of brick these phones to force their non use. Turn them off and turn them in and move on...like me. Ban shields up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma