Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note7 done now what to do with Gear S2?

I thought the Gear Fit 2 and Gear S2 work on non samsung phones now?

Pretty sure it works on all Android devices, but he mentioned iPhone. I think in August they were beta testing their Gear Manager for iOS but not sure they have released it yet.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: Samsung has canceled the note 7 entirely.

yep they use the swappable battery excuse to have poor battery life, why can't we have both? so phone will be thicker but much better.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: What would you replace your Note 7 with?

I still have my N5 so have gone back to it. Turning in the N7 today. My only cost will be time, patience, frustration and the cost of a few accessories.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note7 done now what to do with Gear S2?

Pretty sure it works on all Android devices, but he mentioned iPhone. I think in August they were beta testing their Gear Manager for iOS but not sure they have released it yet.

My bad, yes the Gear Manager Beta was put out for iOS in September but they have taken it down from the App store. I would hope it returns as I too have an iOS device and a Gear S2 Classic that is just sitting on my night stand lol

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung has canceled the note 7 entirely.

For the core Samsung fans, this will end up being extremely beneficial, assuming Samsung Electronics is able to weather the massive sales numbers drop over the coming year or two.

First, the future Samsung models will be meticulously tested and carefully rolled out (so they don't go through the same thing again). More importantly, they will have to be significantly cheaper than before (and than the competition), in order to convince ordinary people who now know, from the news they read, that Samsung phones explode.

This debacle will inflict long-term damage to the Samsung mobile brand. When you tell an ordinary person "Samsung Note 7", all they hear is "Samsung". For them, simple reasoning will be, when there are HTC, LG, Motorola (and, of course, Apple), why take a chance with Samsung when they explode?

Airport security staff will be trained to quickly identify Samsung Note 7 phones, in order to prevent people who choose to keep their Note 7 from boarding. It is quite possible that in that screening process, there will be plenty of "false positives" (when the screening agent flags another Samsung phone), causing possible argument, or even altercation with an innocent Samsung phone owner.

The brand is now seriously tainted, well beyond Note 7. And it will take years to repair.

This is all true. But thats how it should be after such a debacle. This is all Samsung's problem, not ours.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Statement from Samsung

Who said another recall? I have a feeling they manage to pinpoint a defective batch and eliminate it.

It's a batch thing. The device has a design flaw. Remember the switched battery manufactures and phones were still exploding. Something on the circuit board isn't working to spec. This is why they have halted manufacturing the Note 7 and are asking people to power down and exchange their phones for a different one with their carriers. Samsung has gone as far as to pull the Note 7 off the market.

I am going to iPhone next since the S7 really doesn't do it for me. I am sure most people will switch to the iPhone as there aren't any great replacement Android devices.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Oh yeah? And what makes them superior? On the market there is no faster phone atm than the iPhone 7. Battery life is insane too. Everything smooth and stable.

Operating system, hardware, design, always-on display, wireless charging, headphone jack, I could go on...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Official Samsung statement regarding the Galaxy Note 7

Samsung Will Ask All Global Partners to Stop Sales and Exchanges of Galaxy Note7 While Further Investigation Takes Place

Samsung Urges Galaxy Note7 Users to Immediately Participate in The Replacement Program

Just over a week ago, Samsung Electronics announced a global replacement program for the Galaxy Note7 as a precautionary measure due to a battery cell issue. Since then, we have been working hard to expedite product shipments in order to fulfill that exchange program and reduce any inconvenience for our customers. During the past week, we understand that there are concerns from our customers and we wish to emphasize the importance of exchanging the product.

“Our number one priority is the safety of our customers. We are asking users to power down their Galaxy Note7s and exchange them as soon as possible,” says DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “We are expediting replacement devices so that they can be provided through the exchange program as conveniently as possible and in compliance with related regulations. We sincerely thank our customers for their understanding and patience.”

Although there have been only a small number of reported incidents, Samsung is taking great care to provide customers with necessary support. Samsung has identified the affected inventory and stopped sales and shipments of those devices. We are also collaborating with national regulatory bodies.

Customers who have Galaxy Note7 devices can replace their current device with a new device based on local availability. We encourage Galaxy Note7 customers to contact their place of purchase or call the designated call center locally as soon as possible

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Official; Galaxy Note 7 discontinued

Samsung does NOT yet say they are permanently stopping production.

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...note7-while-further-investigation-takes-place

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Samsung has officially filed with Korean regulators to permanently cease production. They would not report that kind of statement without proof. Just because Samsung has not updated their public pages doesn't mean it hasn't already happened.

If you want to keep your phone, that's your prerogative. Just know that a) your warranty is now null and void, since it's a canceled and recalled product (you'll get a different product in exchange if you try to do a warranty repair); b) third-party repairs could be very difficult to do thanks to a lack of official parts; and c) it will never receive any kind of future software updates, including security updates.

I never owned a Note 7, but played with one and thought it was a great phone. I'm sad for fans and users of the device, but it's out of your hands now. Best to move on.

devauls

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

Question to the geeks out there....is there a way to get note features/software activated on the s7e. I dont mind supplying my own stylus if there was some way to get the software activated for the note features. I would imagine that its the same Samsung software layer running on top of the OS for the S7, S7e, Note 7 devices and that there is some hardware detection on the note 7 that enables the note features?
Probably just wishful thinking. Its probably a different firmware load at the factory. But with people loading different ROMs, etc. I just thought there might be someone out there that would know if its even remotely possible to do such a thing.
Otherwise I will likely be exchanging for the Note 5 and just watching what happens for a year or so.

Last edited:

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Official Samsung statement regarding the Galaxy Note 7

Samsung Will Ask All Global Partners to Stop Sales and Exchanges of Galaxy Note7 While Further Investigation Takes Place

Samsung Urges Galaxy Note7 Users to Immediately Participate in The Replacement Program

Just over a week ago, Samsung Electronics announced a global replacement program for the Galaxy Note7 as a precautionary measure due to a battery cell issue. Since then, we have been working hard to expedite product shipments in order to fulfill that exchange program and reduce any inconvenience for our customers. During the past week, we understand that there are concerns from our customers and we wish to emphasize the importance of exchanging the product.

“Our number one priority is the safety of our customers. We are asking users to power down their Galaxy Note7s and exchange them as soon as possible,” says DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “We are expediting replacement devices so that they can be provided through the exchange program as conveniently as possible and in compliance with related regulations. We sincerely thank our customers for their understanding and patience.”

Although there have been only a small number of reported incidents, Samsung is taking great care to provide customers with necessary support. Samsung has identified the affected inventory and stopped sales and shipments of those devices. We are also collaborating with national regulatory bodies.

Customers who have Galaxy Note7 devices can replace their current device with a new device based on local availability. We encourage Galaxy Note7 customers to contact their place of purchase or call the designated call center locally as soon as possible

I can't believe Samsung isn't going to offer us some kind of compensation. From what I see here almost everyone is leaving Samsung for another brand. They should be offering the s7 or note 5 for half price or something. That would keep me from leaving Samsung but we barely even get a sorry after almost 2 months of hassle.

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Officially discontinued Galaxy Note 7

The only other branding I could see them doing is just calling it the N8. They are not starting all over. That's like Chipotle renaming it's restaurants after the e coli issues.

Chipotle sales still haven't recovered, so I don't know if that's the example they want to follow.

Samsung will have to decide if the cachet the Note name has with users is greater than the lingering negative image people have from all these news stories about the Note exploding. My guess is that they'll rebrand it. Most people who like the Note will still buy it with another name, as long as the features of the Note line continue, and they can avoid some of the stink of this debacle by not calling it the Note 8

panzerghost

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung: You are not getting the 256Gb SD card back from me

Which reminds me, Verizon tried to tell me last time that I needed to return the charger. Never did because I didn't have it with me. They are not getting anything back this time.

That's funny because T-mobile actually told me to keep it. They gave gave me back the charger on the replacement and said you can never have enough of these.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

Operating system, hardware, design, always-on display, wireless charging, headphone jack, I could go on...

Don't forget no simple drag and drop for music and files. Customization is not near as intense. Also android has some apps you could never get on apple because of the strict policy. I was considering an iPhone but after watching reviews I just can't do it. Not bashing... Just personal opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.