Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricenm

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: The end of the Note line?

I can see Samsung dropping the "Note" name, but keeping a note device. I wouldn't mind them calling the next one "Pro" so we would have the S8 (5.1"), S8 Edge (5.5") and S8 Pro (5.7" with stylus).

groundball77

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note7 done now what to do with Gear S2?

I was able to return my Gear S2 today to AT&T and have the line cancelled. I got it back in August and did not have any issues returning the watch because the store manager said that any accessories purchased with the Note 7 were returnable. Hope that helps

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I can see Samsung dropping the "Note" name, but keeping a note device. I wouldn't mind them calling the next one "Pro" so we would have the S8 (5.1"), S8 Edge (5.5") and S8 Pro (5.7" with stylus).

I think that 1 year is plenty for the buying public to forget the N7 disaster. I see pros and cons with your suggestion. I personally really like your idea but the downside I think is that it is an obvious attempt to rename and disassociate from the Note 7. I think many people will see through the name and realise it's another Note with a different name.

If Samsung did that, then I think it's a BIG mistake to call it a "Pro 8". If you call it a Pro device, then it has to be just "Pro", indicating the first iteration of a truly new line of product. Then to justify renaming it, you have to do something different that the Note serious didn't do. Introduce some new features to truly justify the new badge. Otherwise as I say, people will just roll their eyes and see through it. And differentiate the new serious from the S series, so that it does not suffer the criticisms that it's just a bigger S phone with an S pen.

Let's say you introduce the first Pro series and you give it something exclusive like in the Pixel phone, such as unlimited cloud storage for photos/videos, on-screen customer support etc. Something the S series doesn't have. And it has to be something the S series will not eventually get, for e.g., iris scanner.

But I really like the idea of a Pro series. I think that's a great idea.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: What would you replace your Note 7 with?

After a sprint run around trying to cancel my account ended up walking out with an edge7. and honestly im not liking it. OFCOURSE its not the note 7. the phone is smaller which makes my fingers press more on the edge screen then the thin side metal. Making typing annoying because it registers my touch on screen and hides the keyboard or opens apps i wasnt using. not to mention the lag, a few times the phone has stopped responding. Doesn't sit right with me to be "forced" to pay for a phone i didnt want in the first place. Had the note 5 when the edge came out if i had wanted it wouldve upgraded then. Gonna hold on to it till my account situation clears up then returning it.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

Funny I see all this media talk, but on forums no one is giving up their Note 7. I've had 4 Note 7's pass through my house (I've had originally black, returned for silver, and now a replacement silver, and my wife had one) and none have had issues. There's no other phone that compares and mine is here to stay. Samsung is taking an unfair beating. They've done a stand-up job in my opinion. Plus, they've given away stuff this year like crazy (gear vr, fit watch, as card). When's the last time Apple gave away a free accessory to buyers? Yet the fanboys keep kissing their butts.

Samsung will likely disable the phone in the near future. They have to to prevent further ones going up in flames.

Your phone will have no support and be worth nothing

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Verizon - Corporate/Business Users replacement to Pixel XL?

Hi,

Did anyone bought Note 7 Original through business accounts, able to get Verizon to place the pixel xl to exchange w/ Note 7 in return once it arrives? Trying to see what my options would be since mine was placed through business account.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why are note 7 catching fire and not edge 7 plus?

I just read that Samsung has had hundreds of independent testers and engineers trying to duplicate this problem since the first recall. None of them have been able to get the phones to malfunction. I really want to know what's actually causing this issue.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

I think that 1 year is plenty for the buying public to forget the N7 disaster. I see pros and cons with your suggestion. I personally really like your idea but the downside I think is that it is an obvious attempt to rename and disassociate from the Note 7. I think many people will see through the name and realise it's another Note with a different name.

If Samsung did that, then I think it's a BIG mistake to call it a "Pro 8". If you call it a Pro device, then it has to be just "Pro", indicating the first iteration of a truly new line of product. Then to justify renaming it, you have to do something different that the Note serious didn't do. Introduce some new features to truly justify the new badge. Otherwise as I say, people will just roll their eyes and see through it. And differentiate the new serious from the S series, so that it does not suffer the criticisms that it's just a bigger S phone with an S pen.

Let's say you introduce the first Pro series and you give it something exclusive like in the Pixel phone, such as unlimited cloud storage for photos/videos, on-screen customer support etc. Something the S series doesn't have. And it has to be something the S series will not eventually get, for e.g., iris scanner.

But I really like the idea of a Pro series. I think that's a great idea.

No, Note line is dead. Public won't forget, it's all over the media and they will make sure it's headlines again should samsung launch another one.

Dodo.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

We are still waiting on the real cause of note 7 catching fire from Samsung. But I think it's most likely the design of battery compartment being too tight. That would be very sensitive to any external shock or not having enough room to dissipate heat when phone is heating up with heavy usage.

Also we can't rule out the possibility of sabotage in battery supplier's fab or samsung's phone manufacturing line. The timing of those incidents look suspicious.

DroidBoi22

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site

I too am stuck in the dilemma. Between the V20 and Pixel XL, I think I will be going the pixel route. I need to go to Best Buy and see how things play out. I know they are offering a $100 gift card for pre ordering the Pixel XL. Granted it's the Verizon model, I am already on their network. The only downside is the locked bootloader, but I won't be rooting so I don't care for that. There's no bloatware which is a plus. The only risky thing is how soon will updates come thru... Since it would have to be approved by Verizon. Regardless, I'd rather take my chances with a clean OS/Google flagship phone over the V20 at this point.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Rage quit Samsung anyone?

I just listed for sale my gear s2 classic 3g, note 12.2 3g, and tab s2.

I always said if I can't have a note, I'd use an iPhone. So there you go.

If they had decided to support the phone with updates and make turning it in voluntary, I'd have stayed.

Extreme? Yeah. But the note 5 is handicapped with no extra storage, and I really got used to the idea of a waterproof device. I use Bluetooth headphones anyway.

I lose my beloved pen, and wireless charging. I gain seamless integration and reliability. I will miss the note 7.

anon(9419666)

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

I think is a design flaw or a production defect. However, we won't know what is really wrong until Samsung makes a official announcement about it.

suitebliss

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Rage quit Samsung anyone?

I'm the opposite and had a Rage to quit Apple in the mobile device department anyway. iPhone 7 is still a dinosaur phone and they release phones every year without any major updates. I'm disappointed in sort of being "forced to get a smaller phone". I sold my Apple watch and purchased the Gear S2 Classic 3G just for the Note 7.

Samsung is an awesome device and im trying to have the attitude that things happen and at least they are handling it as they should business wise.

I have had Apple Watch and still have a MacBook Pro, MacBook air, iPad Mini 3 and the iPad Pro 9.7. I had the iPhone 6S Plus and would have stayed with it had I not fallen in love with the Note 7.

I know its your choice, but don't do it. Samsung to Apple is taking a step back to me. Don't get me wrong I'm pissed. As a gadget girl I simply love the N7, but the iPhone 7/7 Plus can't hold a candle to any Samsung device.

Good luck in your choice.

suitebliss

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

I don't think they will. Things happen. You have customers who love the phone so much they are willing to keep the phone knowing of the risks.

I just this think that they next Note will be made with care. IMO.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Won't be buying another Samsung device in the near future.

It takes a special kind of incompetence to issue a global recall, supposedly fix the issue and not adequately test that the issue has indeed been solved. Heck just the stakes alone should've made a second screw up almost impossible, but it seems they have some very careless test engineers.

suitebliss

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Note7 done now what to do with Gear S2?

My friend has an iPhone and loved my Gear S2 so bad she went out to buy one and come to find out it won't pair. She went with the Moto 360, which working with Android and iOS devices.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm the opposite and had a Rage to quit Apple in the mobile device department anyway. iPhone 7 is still a dinosaur phone and they release phones every year without any major updates. I'm disappointed in sort of being "forced to get a smaller phone". I sold my Apple watch and purchased the Gear S2 Classic 3G just for the Note 7.

Samsung is an awesome device and im trying to have the attitude that things happen and at least they are handling it as they should business wise.

I have had Apple Watch and still have a MacBook Pro, MacBook air, iPad Mini 3 and the iPad Pro 9.7. I had the iPhone 6S Plus and would have stayed with it had I not fallen in love with the Note 7.

I know its your choice, but don't do it. Samsung to Apple is taking a step back to me. Don't get me wrong I'm pissed. As a gadget girl I simply love the N7, but the iPhone 7/7 Plus can't hold a candle to any Samsung device.

Good luck in your choice.

That's a pretty good response. I am almost with you. I deeply considered buying a note 5 used.

Here is the thing you will learn with Samsung. Their new devices always come with new cool features that could easily be updated to Old devices. But they never do it. I've had Samsung devices since the Note 2. As a matter of fact, I've had probably more Samsung devices then anyone who isn't a professional review. And I can tell you first-hand, that the continuity between their tablets and phones, and the software updates, pale in comparison to Apples.

But you are right. Why couldn't Apple just get rid of the bezels and add wireless charging?

In terms of hardware, Samsung isn't just ahead of Apple, it's ahead of everyone. I can't even find another Android phone that is close.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

While my S7E hasn't caught on fire, it has been the hottest(temperature) phone that I have ever owned. Has me a bit worried about the longevity of the battery and other internals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463