Old Information about the Note 7 Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblackshear

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon - Corporate/Business Users replacement to Pixel XL?

I ordered Pixel Xl with no problems for my wife's phone. Went to Apple (after turning in Note 7) and picked up 7+ for myself.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Give me a break. They've been making phones for how long? They make one bad product (which is actually the best phone ever)and you wanna beat them down. I'll buy the next Note without hesitation. I understand this is the real world and mistakes happen. Obviously this is a very complex issue. Phones are tested thoroughly before release and these fires obviously never happened then. Samsung has acted responsibly with recalls. What more do people expect?

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Am I The Only One Waiting For the Results of the Investigation?

It really amazes me that people are able to get to this forum and post things, but they don't see the front page of the site that already answers some of their "issues."

I beg to differ. I had the s7 edge, and now chose the Note 5. Yes it's "older" but it is anew excellent phone and can keep up with all the stuff I was doing on the Note 7. Got mine new just the other day and it received a software update. Running well.

Agreed. I am also waiting to hear from the investigation. Supposedly we have until December 31st to decide on exchanging. I want to see if something comparable comes out between now and then. Otherwise I will choose between the Note 5 or S7E. Both are as close as you can get to a Note 7, but Note 7 is better.

My issues with going to the Note 5, is that it's still the same price as when it first launched, and that's just about the same as the Note7. And it offers less features. It's hard not to compare it to the Note 7 after having it. Can't put the genie back in the bottle now. I would settle for the Note 5 if the price, even for new, had dropped considerably.

I am contemplating the S7E, but again the price, for me, is hard to justify. It's not the device I really want to pour my money into, and stay with for 2+ years. I explored buying a refurbished device but for $500+ and I can't get confirmation of it's condition. And again, that's a little high for me to dump on a device and look at getting the next Note device that we hope to be released next year.

All that said, yes. I am still interested to know the results of whatever investigation is supposedly happening. I won't hold my breath. It won't bring the Note7 back to us. It's not going to fix any physical damage that the unfortunate "victims" of the bad devices had to endure. And it's not going to solve the void that we are all left with. We are literally scrambling to figure out what the next step is for us to do, considering the financial and long term efforts this is taking from us. I for one am having a hard time figuring what my next move will be, so unfortunately, I have to hold on to the Note7 for now.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: What would you replace your Note 7 with?

Samsung continues to make huge mistakes here. They should have at least offered all Note 7 owners a 1/2 price, 6 month plan for the S7E to keep folks with the brand until the S8 or even Note8 comes out, since everything out there is a downgrade for us. I absolutely won't consider a Note 5 because of the small battery and no SD card (I'm using over 120gb on my N7 now). Only options I would think about is V20 and S7E, but they are not really comparable

And the worst thing is, that no one has talked about, is once we all have to switch, is that aren't we stuck with that (inferior) phone for at least a year?- the way these new lease programs work we need to be 50% paid off in order to do the next upgrade, so the S8 and even Note 8 will come out and we won't be able to even get it when it's released. We'll be forced to wait (unless we pay off the 50% balance early )

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
There's a lot of things that are weird in this. I was reading last night how thorough phones are tested before release and none of these fires happened in that period. Samsung has also been using hundreds of private testers and engineers since the 1st recall and none have been able to duplicate this problem. Then why have no store units caught fire on display? I'm not on the conspiracy boat but like to know answers to stuff, and all this just doesn't sit right with me.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: No more fires lately?

There was a case of a demo one, prerecall burning up in a T-Mobile store.

My store told me the one they had melted the cable attached to it prior to the recall.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: It will be tough 4 Samsung 2 rebound but they will

I think People expect perfection. On a serious note people that jump on the band wagon and cry foul will go back to Samsung once the new release for S8, S8 edge and Note 8. But it's up to Samsung to make sure that this occurrence doesn't happen again otherwise they'll be done. Those 3 models will need to stand out for people to make them go back providing that Samsung has learn from their mistakes.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

There's a lot of things that are weird in this. I was reading last night how thorough phones are tested before release and none of these fires happened in that period. Samsung has also been using hundreds of private testers and engineers since the 1st recall and none have been able to duplicate this problem. Then why have no store units caught fire on display? I'm not on the conspiracy boat but like to no answers to stuff, and all this just doesn't sit right with me.

Samsung should investigate the possibility of malicious coding or malware. Just saying.

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

LG makes displays for iPhones and LG Nexus 5/5x. All of these have been historically high-quality very color accurate panels.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

How each person deals with this is up to them, but remember since it is a safety issue you may not just be affecting you, but others if you keep it. It's up to you of course. What I see is:

• Samsung is recalling all the phones
  • Samsung will not be supporting the phone any more (except for updates to kill it)
  • It is a safety hazard

You'll have to replace it anyway. It seems like you are saying the benefit of having this phone for a few extra weeks outweighs above. I can't possibly imagine how it does, but again that is for you to decide. I'm sure you'll get a good phone (just not quite as good as the one you have now in your opinion, I surmise )

Do you have any links to back the first two bullet points?

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: What would you replace your Note 7 with?

Samsung continues to make huge mistakes here. They should have at least offered all Note 7 owners a 1/2 price, 6 month plan for the S7E to keep folks with the brand until the S8 or even Note8 comes out, since everything out there is a downgrade for us. I absolutely won't consider a Note 5 because of the small battery and no SD card (I'm using over 120gb on my N7 now). Only options I would think about is V20 and S7E, but they are not really comparable.

Ideally, yes, but at the end of the day, Samsung just took a multi-billion dollar loss. They could not care less about customer satisfaction right now.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Samsung should investigate the possibility of malicious coding or malware. Just saying.

Exactly. There's too much weirdness surrounding this matter. I dont think batteries are even the issue here. Since hundreds of testers can't duplicate it and no store units caught fire, something isn't right.

PeakyBlinder

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

Malicious code to only work on a small number of devices when all phones will be written with the same code?

How does that work then...?

Last edited:

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

Exactly. There's too much weirdness surrounding this matter. I dont think batteries are even the issue here. Since hundreds of testers can't duplicate it and no store units caught fire, something isn't right.

Which somewhat supports my theory that this was the result of sabotage...but maybe it wasn't hardware sabotage. Hmm.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

Malicious code to only work on a small number of devices when all phones will be written with the same code?

How does that work then...?

Malicious coding placed in a only a number of phones that went by a specific point in Samsung's production cycle?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Rage quit Samsung anyone?

I got a feeling I'll be doing the same thing. I'm definitely gonna hold off on buying a ton of accessories for the S7 Edge
My Samsung fast charge portable charger uses the usb-c cord to charge it which is nice. I really like this thing.
544550f9c6dc7482f18064ddd0647cf2.jpg

Note 5 of course is micro USB but so are my two kids' phones (for now.. daughter wants iphone)

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Damn U Samsung I now have a dilemma

Thank god I keep all my old phones. That way if something happens I can just reactivate one of them. Problem is, my Note Edge is acting finicky- very poor signal, doesn't stay connected to the network blah blah. Now THAT is my fault. The phone wasn't designed to spend 2 hours in 15 feet of water. 🙄

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Rage quit Samsung anyone?

I wouldn't say I'm quitting Samsung entirely (I have a UHD Samsung TV which I love). However, I'm holding off on their mobile products til my upgrade next October. Will be giving the V20 a shot.
Are you getting v20 when it first comes out or waiting to see if there are any qc issues with it first

Status
Not open for further replies.