10-12-2016 09:27 AM
1,439 123 ...
tools
    As of this morning, I am finding myself in the position of considering returning my N7. I love the phone features, design and build, but there are so many issues surfacing, rational ones actually, like future software updates, carrier support, future value and many others, that have me thinking. With all four major carriers offering immediate return/refund and/or exchange policies, it points to the importance of the "perceptions" surrounding this phone.

But, I can't pull the trigger now. The options are so unacceptable for me: an iPhone or an older/less capable Samsung phone just doesn't cut it. There's zero chance I would want to live in the stifling (for me) Apple ecosystem and their phones that are years behind the times (again, IMO). The S7 variants are fine phones, but the N7 is clearly out front on the features design and build fronts. I don't want to go backwards.

So, here I am considering the Pixel, that I recently criticized on this forum for looking like an iPhone clone, and the V20, which quite frankly looks amazing. But both of these phones are weeks off, so I guess I have to sit tight for now.

Are any of you considering these two phones?
    10-08-2016 08:17 AM
    Neither. Note 7 wins.

Better display than both

40% better battery life than V20 in QHD and more then Pixel in FHD.

FHD still looks better

Better form factor

Better low light pics

Integrated pen

No navigation bar taking 15% space with a lot of apps.

The list is tripled compared with iPhone
    T48, jabtano and kadinldg like this.
    10-08-2016 08:23 AM
    Yup - I get it. Love N7 features. But this could go a couple of ways.

Maybe this drama gets resolved and somehow Samsung rises above it all. N7's don't have issues going forward with the travel industry, the battery issues stay within the acceptable number of occurrences, Carriers have confidence in the product, Samsung gives 100% support and software updates for years to come, and the resale value (for those who may want to sell in time) remains high. This is an awesome path and if this begins to unfold over the next couple of weeks, I am all-in with staying with my N7.

If not, I will probably want to move on. Moving on means I will need to consider another phone, despite the fact that the N7 feature set may be best for me. Frankly, if things consider to move in the current direction (all of the things in the happy path above aren't happening) I might need to consider the V20 and Pixel.

Both of these phones have some unique features that I can find interesting. So, I am taking a moment to check them out, and I was wondering who here knows more than me about them.
    10-08-2016 08:35 AM
    Pick your poison

LG V20 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 7 vs Google Pixel XL - Phone specs comparison

side by side comparison... there some wrong info in it though but mostly correct.
    athenatp, soldier45 and gregg6942 like this.
    10-08-2016 08:41 AM
    Pick your poison

LG V20 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 7 vs Google Pixel XL - Phone specs comparison

side by side comparison... there some wrong info in it though but mostly correct.
    Thanks!
    10-08-2016 09:02 AM
    Thanks!

If you do not need a lot of apps and media, go with the Pixel. The battery life of the V20 is (based on reviews so far) weaker than the year old MXPE. It is literally 40% less than the Note 7 and based on reviews so far, close to that compared to the Pixel.

If any device needed hardware scaling to reduce GPU load (worse battery drain next to display and weak LTE signal)- THIS (V20) is the device that needed it. It would give an hour back or more, depending on app usage reliance on GPU.

Heck, Chrome and Maps are GPU hogs. Watch in amazement how much better battery life and temperature is with the Note 7 when using maps for navigation in FHD mode. It is crazy better. Ditto fot Chrome use (I prefer UC though, since has a black background theme).
    supreme8124 and Norg like this.
    10-08-2016 09:12 AM
    If you do not need a lot of apps and media, go with the Pixel. The battery life of the V20 is (based on reviews so far) weaker than MXPE. It is literally 40% less than the Note 7 and based on reviews so far, close to that compared to the Pixel.

If any device needed hardware scaling to reduce GPU load (worse battery drain next to display and weak LTE signal)- THIS (V20) is the device that needed it. It would give an hour back or more, depending on app usage reliance on GPU.

Heck, Chrome and Maps are GPU hogs. Watch in amazement how much better battery life and temperature is with the Note 7 when using maps for navigation in FHD mode. It is crazy better.
    I've noticed that with Maps.

Thanks for the info on V20.
    Norg likes this.
    10-08-2016 09:15 AM
    I would never go LG again. My g5 broke in less than 2 months of owning. Multiple people who i know or have heard from who have owned the g5 had similar issues. Where me and someone else said it just stopped working and for every case, the camera screen cracked in pocket and some even worst with the screen breaking in pocket.

Wouldnt go for the pixel either as it looks like crap and doesnt support sd card.

I would go the s7 edge or axon 7 instead of those 2.
    10-08-2016 09:43 AM
    I used an LG G2 for a year and it was awesome. My wife is still using hers, and my son has inherited my old G2.
    Love that phone.
    I'll look into current LG quality reports to see what's up.
    Thanks for that.
    Norg and fall back like this.
    10-08-2016 09:46 AM
    Thank you as well.

The only phone I'm even somewhat interested in if we were forced to turn our Notes in would be the V20.

I really like the hardware which reminds me of my M7 and M8s a few years ago ..... and the screen size is large like the Note.

I'd still need to have " playtime " with it when and if it gets into the retail stores. I just want to be sure it has that premium feel that I've gotten accustomed with the Note and S6 Edge+.

For now I'm a sticking it out though
    10-08-2016 09:51 AM
    Yep - me too.
    Just looking ahead a bit.
    Amele likes this.
    10-08-2016 09:54 AM
    Yep - me too.
    Just looking ahead a bit.
    10-08-2016 09:56 AM
    Of the 2, it would probably be the V20.

I'm a camera snob, so camera controls are important to me. The Pixel has the advantage of a cleaner UX, but I'm not really sold on it as it lacks some features that I want in my daily drivers.

However, I'm still weary on anything LG at this point, after having a new-ish G4 die on me not long after its first boot and the quality issues with the G5.

I'll wait to see how the story develops, then I'll decide what to do with the Note 7. It's a shame because without all the controversy, it's a damn fine phone.
    10-08-2016 09:59 AM
    Thank you as well.

The only phone I'm even somewhat interested in if we were forced to turn our Notes in would be the V20.

I really like the hardware which reminds me of my M7 and M8s a few years ago ..... and the screen size is large like the Note.

I'd still need to have " playtime " with it when and if it gets into the retail stores. I just want to be sure it has that premium feel that I've gotten accustomed with the Note and S6 Edge+.

]

You don't want to go LG. Was a pretty big lg fan, but after the horrendous experience with the G5, i don't trust the quality in their products anymore.
    Amele likes this.
    10-08-2016 10:17 AM
    I finally have my replacement device. I am going to exist in ignorant bliss until/if something official comes out.

I broke a contract to get this phone with the intention of keeping it two years. I also can't think of any phone out now now to keep for two years.

My wife has a S7 "flat". I considered this yesterday but now I'm in the watch and wait camp.

The phone is amazing. The software is amazing e.g.. iris scanning, Grace, secure folder, spen. The camera is amazing. It is NOT "an S7 edge with a pen".
    10-08-2016 10:27 AM
    I keep thinking about this very question and keep landing in the same place.

1. I am keeping my Note 7 unless there is a recall. I have a Gear VR on the way and it works flawlessly with my other Bluetooth devices, including the GearFit 2. I love the camera, display and build. Both N7s have performed great for me. The thought of it being gone is slightly depressing.

2. If there is a recall and it is determined the phones are not safe, I will go Pixel XL. For me, it seems to be the second best phone.

Here's to hoping this all blows over and the Note 7 goes on to moderate success. I don't want to give mine up.
    bgapfire and kabeeo like this.
    10-08-2016 10:30 AM
    Google Pixel.....its a Amoled screen even tho its not Super Amoled & you will get the latest updates + Google customer service is really good.

only bad thing is the phone seems to be in limited quantities & wait time seems like its going to suck..
    10-08-2016 10:43 AM
    I just read/viewed that Pixel through Verizon... Verizon is handling the SOFTWARE UPDATES?!

There goes any advantage of getting timely updates from Google. No way.
    10-08-2016 11:05 AM
    I just read/viewed that Pixel through Verizon... Verizon is handling the SOFTWARE UPDATES?!

There goes any advantage of getting timely updates from Google. No way.
    Buy one from the Google Store.

Buying one from Verizon is a terrible idea if you value timely updates.
    10-08-2016 11:10 AM
    I'm in the same boat if the N7 gets recalled/canceled...

If that happens... Looking ahead are the V20 or Pixel.. between the 2 I'd pick the Pixel...but to be honest... Neither are worth what is being charged for them when the One Plus 3 or Honor 8 are out there for nearly half the price....

If I ultimately must return my N7 again... I'll probably buy one of these cheaper options until the S8 or N8 are released or something comparable is available worth the additional difference in price...
    Ken in CA likes this.
    10-08-2016 12:43 PM
    I recently saw that my carrier at&t might not sell the note 7 anymore. I have been looking at different phones that I could possibly get as an alternative and the lg v20 looks pretty good. Does anyone have any other opinions on a good alternative to the note 7?
    10-08-2016 01:41 PM
    They have identical hardware to the Note 7, but might not match the featureset.

• Google Pixel XL
    • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
    • Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    • ZTE Axon 7 (doesn't have a camera as great, though. bear that in mind)
    ajb1965 and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    10-08-2016 01:47 PM
    An unlocked Motorola maybe.
    10-08-2016 01:55 PM
    I was going to get another Note 7 from T-Mobile. I returned my first Note 7 for a refund and went back to using Note 5. I have Jump program on my 1st line and JOD on second, so getting a Pixel XL is a non-starter for me. Will see if I can pre-order V20 for the JOD line. Haven't owned an LG since the G3.

As far as unlocked phones are concerned, I was considering the ZTE Axon 7 for $399. Now, I think I would spend an extra $100 and get the ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe with the Snapdragon 820.
    10-08-2016 02:55 PM
    Not a good situation at the moment as there simply are no comparable alternatives....and in 2 weeks I start flying weekly so I am going to have to make some sort of move.....

Honestly, this was / is a great phone without the gimmick curved screen the precludes a viable screen protector. Other than that this phone has everything I wanted.

IF we are forced to switch, I haven't a clue what to so. The 7 Edge has worse edges the S7 has too small of a screen, the V20 coming out isn't waterproof and has a lesser quality screen and the iPhone 7 plus just isn't user friendly if you take a lot of pictures and constantly need to sort them into individual files, plug into your computer and easily transfer things, etc.

I am starting to think that the only realistic alternative that is remotely close is to go backwards and find a new or lightly used Note 5. Worse battery life, no waterproofing, no additional storage.

Don't really want to go with an S7 and get stuck living with it. My eyes and work need the bigger screen.....
    Amele, T48 and kadinldg like this.
    10-08-2016 03:04 PM
1,439 123 ...