Anybody think the switch to USB-C charging port could be the cause of the battery problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I been using a Quick charging pad.
How does that work into the USB-C charging.

Its the lithium battery or the circuitry.
Hope they figure it out soon.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I been using a Quick charging pad.
How does that work into the USB-C charging.

Its the lithium battery or the circuitry.
Hope they figure it out soon.

If you mean "figure it out" from the perspective that they do not repeat the same mistake on future devices, I certainly agree. If you mean "figure it out soon" from the perspective that you will be able to continue to use your Note 7, don't hold your breath. They are already releasing mandatory SW updates that cripple phone functionality such as [not] being able to use it with the Gear VR headset. It is only a matter of time that the phone will be crippled to the point that the user has no choice but to turn it back in.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If you mean "figure it out" from the perspective that they do not repeat the same mistake on future devices, I certainly agree. If you mean "figure it out soon" from the perspective that you will be able to continue to use your Note 7, don't hold your breath. They are already releasing mandatory SW updates that cripple phone functionality such as [not] being able to use it with the Gear VR headset. It is only a matter of time that the phone will be crippled to the point that the user has no choice but to turn it back in.

I know they are not going to release a new note.
I know they have a big problem.
With the money it has cost them.
They will not make the mistake again.

I'm already upset that I don't have my note 7.

But I heard they are gonna let a lot of their top people go because of this problem and the money it cost them.
They will probably hire new people.
They need a new phone to replace the Note 7 before christmas.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
They need a new phone to replace the Note 7 before christmas.

That simply won't happen unless they have something just about ready in the pipeline already. Even if there WAS something in the pipeline that was close the last thing Samsung needs is to rush something out the door and risk the same problem happening again.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that Samsung knows much more than it is revealing to the public, and apparently it is something too expensive to fix quickly and easily. I have wondered if USB C is a part of the problem simply because it allows more power and fast charging, resulting in the generation of a fair bit of heat on my Nexus 5x. Samsung pushed the limits of how fast the battery could be charged, and possibly USB C was more of an enabler than a cause--it allowed for faster charging than the battery can take.
I have used three different USB C phones from two different manufacturers and never experienced what I would call excessive heat unless the phone was being taxed by apps running and or receiving several updates. Regardless, of those conditions and how deficiently a phone dissipates heat, we have the technology to prevent a phone from overheating and igniting do thermal overload. So any battery failure except for those caused by manufacturing defects that get past QC are simply inexcusable. I applaud Samsung for their efforts after the fact, however I don't think they should have released a second batch unless they were 100 percent positive they found the root cause. The only pass I will give them if they were two or more problems causing the first condition or a different problem causing the second condition.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
What complicates this matter is that it's not a straight charging issue. Many units caught fire whilst NOT charging.

All the latest headlines say that Samsung have had hundreds of engineers working on this and couldn't get all the test Note 7 units to combust. This is easy to believe otherwise Samsung wouldn't have taken the drastic step they did.

But they better eventually find out before they release the S8.

I have a theory that it's not an actual component fault but an inherent design fault. One that only occurs in a specific set of circumstances, hence why hundreds of Samsung engineers could not make a Note 7 combust when they wanted to.

I believe it's some really unusual combination of the battery being at a certain temperature and some process running in the background/foreground that cause an aberrant spike in voltage/current. Some inherent design flaw that only shows up only with a specific set of usage circumstances hence very difficult to track down, unlike just a faulty component.

cynth.hgn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
How can it be explained that many countries haven't had even one issue? I heard of one here in Canada with the first batch, but I believe that was never confirmed. Nobody here even talks about it

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Or fault in design.... they try to give a lot of options and must be complex to manage... using usb-c for first time, regular charging, + quick charge 2.0 (why not 3.0?), + both types of wireless charge standards? would be nice to find out someday.

Possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay