10-14-2016 03:54 AM
53 123
tools
    Just trying to look at the differences between the Note 7 and S7&S7E. Outside of the S-Pen, seems the biggest difference is the different charging port.
    phone-a-holic likes this.
    10-11-2016 07:03 AM
    Just trying to look at the differences between the Note 7 and S7&S7E. Outside of the S-Pen, seems the biggest difference is the different charging port.
    Yes I do. But that's just a personal feeling.
    10-11-2016 07:11 AM
    If Samsung themselves don't know, then none of us will know. What complicates this matter is that there were many fires whilst the phone was NOT charging. So the issue is some complex battery/circuitry interplay.
    10-11-2016 07:21 AM
    I have no idea. However, since some of these phones caught on fire while not charging, I would guess the issue is related to something else. Or perhaps a combination of factors.
    10-11-2016 07:23 AM
    How many global tales of Nexus 6p or Nexus 5x phones exploding or catching fire have there been? Nil. Both came out in 4th quarter 2015, and both were the first mainstream phones that had USB-C.

Other flagships that have had no issue with their USB-C: HTC 10, LG 5, OnePlus, and a variety of other Chinese Android sets...
    10-11-2016 07:27 AM
    I actually think that it's the iris scanner causing the flame-ups. Stop using it. Now! It'll fry your eyes. No, really, it will.
    juliobx2012 likes this.
    10-11-2016 07:31 AM
    How many global tales of Nexus 6p or Nexus 5x phones exploding or catching fire have there been? Nil. Both came out in 4th quarter 2015, and both were the first mainstream phones that had USB-C.

Other flagships that have had no issue with their USB-C: HTC 10, LG 5, OnePlus, and a variety of other Chinese Android sets...
    I'm not trying to say USB-c technology is unsafe, I'm saying the change going to it by Samsung probably required a software/hardware redesign that the conflict is causing the problem.
    10-11-2016 07:31 AM
    How many Samsung models have been released with USB-C? That's the point... Samsung's first try at USB-C
    Also, USB-C hasn't sounded that great since it came out with cheap cables or issues with cables made by various companies causing issues?
    I wondered the same thing.
    10-11-2016 07:34 AM
    I actually think that it's the iris scanner causing the flame-ups. Stop using it. Now! It'll fry your eyes. No, really, it will.
    That is an original one.
    10-11-2016 07:35 AM
    If Samsung themselves don't know, then none of us will know. What complicates this matter is that there were many fires whilst the phone was NOT charging. So the issue is some complex battery/circuitry interplay.
    I'm not so sure a phone has to have been currently changing to have had it's battery affectted by faulty port wiring.
    10-11-2016 07:35 AM
    Given how many phones already exist with USB-C, I'd say that if USB-C were the cause of problems on the N7..Samsung needs to fire whoever builds the charger portion of the phone.
    benjamminh likes this.
    10-11-2016 07:42 AM
    Yes I do. But that's just a personal feeling.
    I second your thoughts. It's the new type of charging port which is a part of the motherboard is causing this issue. They wouldn't have halted production otherwise if it was only a battery issue. Imagine redoing the motherboard would lead to much more additional time and expense hence it makes sense dropping the product and spend money on the next release.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-11-2016 10:01 AM
    How many Samsung models have been released with USB-C? That's the point... Samsung's first try at USB-C
    Also, USB-C hasn't sounded that great since it came out with cheap cables or issues with cables made by various companies causing issues?
    I wondered the same thing.
    This is not related to the USB-C spec itself. This is related to the push/desire for cheap 3rd-party cables on the market fast. The "problem" was also only with USB-A to USB-C cables not conforming to spec.
    10-11-2016 10:09 AM
    No, it isn't.
    10-11-2016 10:13 AM
    Doesn't seem to be the case, as some cases occurred when the phone isn't charging.
    jerrykur and dsignori like this.
    10-11-2016 10:15 AM

That we KNOW of....
    10-11-2016 10:20 AM
    It's a pretty complex charge system... USB-C, QC2.0, both types of wireless...

Doesn't seem to be the case, as some cases occurred when the phone isn't charging.
    10-11-2016 10:23 AM
    I was thinking the opposite. Superman is the cause.
    He eyeballs looked into the phone and caused the fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Anybody think the switch to USB-C charging port could be the cause of the battery problem?-maxresdefault.jpg  
    10-11-2016 10:53 AM
    Right. But consider that the damage can be done while the phone is charging, only to have it ignite later during daily use.
    10-11-2016 11:04 AM
    OK... I seem to recall some verbiage in an article about how the Note 7's battery cell was the most compact pack for its size to date. Now, at the time, no one batted an eye, but I think that, if true, that's the candlestick in the library.

I see two things here...

problem 1: a manufacturing defect. This was the cause of the original recall as batteries were failing... whether it was a QC issue or a problem with the manufacturing line, we don't know yet. But the batteries with this defect became susceptible to failure if...

problem 2: a design flaw. By condensing the pack as much as they did, they may have left zero to no margin for error. Any sort of stress or impact could cause the pack to suffer an internal fault that eventually leads to a thermal runaway. This same design flaw, of course, would exacerbate the defect above, but in an of itself would not cause failures are nearly the same rate.

When Samsung investigated, once they found the manufacturing defect, they might have just stopped there. "We found it!" and moved on.... but as is sometimes the case, a massive problem can sometimes mask a smaller one, making it hard to pick out of the noise.

So basically, the cause here is Samsung attempting to fit 10 lbs of potatoes into a 5lbs bag. They wanted smaller, more sexy phones that still had massive batteries in them. So they sacrificed safety margins in order to accomplish that goal.
    10-11-2016 11:11 AM
    I would love to know the usage habits of those who's phones ignited versus those that didn't.
    10-11-2016 11:30 AM
    No. Otherwise Nexus 6Ps, 5x, HTC, etc. would be having the same explosion issue.
    10-11-2016 11:37 AM
    My husband's Z Force is USB-C as well. No issues for him.
    benjamminh and cynth.hgn like this.
    10-11-2016 12:06 PM
    No. Otherwise Nexus 6Ps, 5x, HTC, etc. would be having the same explosion issue.
    Not necessarily. This still could be an issue related specifically to Samsung's manufacturing process.

After all, everyone else uses lithium batteries too, and yet...
    10-11-2016 12:51 PM
    Not necessarily. This still could be an issue related specifically to Samsung's manufacturing process.

After all, everyone else uses lithium batteries too, and yet...
    Then it would be an issue with Samsung and their implementation of USB-C.

I thought the OP was asking about it just being USB-C in general and that is why I wrote that answer. .
    10-11-2016 12:52 PM
53 123