10-14-2016 08:50 AM
188 12345 ...
tools
    I don't know that I would call it stupidity or incompetence. More it was an unfortunate unforeseen circumstance. Engineering made a mistake. It happens. That doesn't make them stupid or incompetent.

They've done well by their customers. Issued a recall at the initial outset, and when it expanded, instructed everybody to just flat out return them and get refunds. What else can you ask for? People injured by the burning devices will be compensated.

The only people that will ultimately be "out" anything will be the people at Samsung. Outside of Samsung, anybody left less than whole will be made whole. Samsung has the money, and it won't hurt them in anything other than pride to make things right.
    I do think they pushed hard to increase the battery life and then they rushed the testing of the device. I would be surprised if in the next few months we find out about a few internal Samsung emails from a few engineers worried about the new batteries. Lithium-ion is dangerous stuff. I think they got careless and pushed the envelope without sufficient testing.
    10-11-2016 06:28 PM
    Who benefits from this?

1) Disgruntled employee causing chaos in Samsung.

2) Insider threat providing information or chaos for another government/company

3) Factory workers potentially getting what they want in the future - Better treatment, better conditions.

Mechanisms are in place, but people are behind those mechanisms. It's easy to infiltrate and obstruct these types of things if you find the right person.
    How would this benefit the workers unless they go public with the protest. Silently damaging goods would not help their cause. Plus the issue is a very delicate part of the Lithium-ion battery. Careless design and improper testing is a much more logical explanation. If workers did it Samsung would sue the manufacture and move to a different production company.
    redsman55 likes this.
    10-11-2016 06:34 PM
    I got that for the first recall.
    10-11-2016 06:42 PM
    Could it be possible that after the CPSC finishes their investigation and if they determine that they were in fact safe that those who still have Note 7's can keep them once they are cleared, just they wont be making any more?
    I would say no since Samsung has actually canceled the Note 7. That is a big red flag.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-11-2016 06:47 PM
    XDA reports that they received an insulated box complete with a ceramic liner and gloves today to return their Note 7 directly from Samsung.(gloves are in case people are allergic to the ceramic liner fibers)
    They had to have known about this even before last weekend to pull this all together completed with specific printed instructions.
    That kind of fries my butt.
    that kit was shipped for first recall. i have one in my office at work.
    jackash0912 likes this.
    10-11-2016 06:59 PM
    Them kits are comical,,,no offense ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    10-11-2016 07:33 PM
    Just returned mine,,,my JUMP has returned...,waiting for the lg v20 to go on preorder with tmobile
    10-11-2016 07:34 PM
    Verizon told me today that all people with note 7 phones will be getting that box. Sounds like they want the phone back, and I would guess the kill switch will be 30 days after box comes.
    10-11-2016 07:38 PM
    Just got off with Verizon. They voided my device payment plan, returned my my down payment, and told me to not return the phone to them either at the store or shipped.

Anyway I went with a Black Onyx S7 to hold me over. I hate the excessive curve on the S7 Edge as it leads to too many accidental touches (the curve on the Note 7 was perfect...like everything else unfortunately). I'm fully invested in wireless chargers and need the SD card and Gear VR functionality as those were freebies . Figured I can upgrade to the Note 8 next year...if not the S8 Edge sooner but only if they make the curve similar to the Note 7!
    It's so strange to see companies so eager to return consumers money, and they did not even take back the phone!
    10-11-2016 07:42 PM
    I don't know that I would call it stupidity or incompetence. More it was an unfortunate unforeseen circumstance. Engineering made a mistake. It happens. That doesn't make them stupid or incompetent.

They've done well by their customers. Issued a recall at the initial outset, and when it expanded, instructed everybody to just flat out return them and get refunds. What else can you ask for? People injured by the burning devices will be compensated.

The only people that will ultimately be "out" anything will be the people at Samsung. Outside of Samsung, anybody left less than whole will be made whole. Samsung has the money, and it won't hurt them in anything other than pride to make things right.
    There's a much larger ripple, What about the millions of accessories already made? Both the companies with stockpiles and the consumers that have bought that inventory are screwed. When peripheral companies are screwed then the pool of stockholders losing equity massively increases, which results in less reinvesting. Mass production is done in waves so there's a whole wave of terror sweeping the industry that something like this could happen. I'm up north in FoCo and just otterbox buddies are saying this will cost their company a few million, but at least they're a giant entity. What about little etsy stores that invested a large chunk of their equity in a single production run! Then there's software startups and infrastructure softwares that required customization costs, all of which has already been paid which will have to be eaten.
    msndrstood, Shadowyugi and jfs85 like this.
    10-11-2016 07:45 PM
    Factory workers weren't behind this. If they were, the lot numbers would give it away. Samsung could have traced it back to the date/shift/factory as to what the batches were. Instead the bad batteries have been made by different companies at different times.

From everything I have read so far, the batteries aren't to blame but are getting it none the less. They really need to look at the charging circuit and overload protections. Something tells me that the batteries are getting damaged from some type of runaway when charging and when the battery discharges, the damage causes a thermal runaway and thus a fire.
    I dun think factory workers or even the engrs are so skilful that they can sabotage the battery until they blow up only during usage. Surely some would have blown up right at the factory if they do so.

But I sure believe some of the reported cases are sabotage. There's nothing difficult to make your phone burn, took a pic and sent it to whatever online media.

Cannot believe Samsung still dun have a single investigation result yet from the tens of cases since last week
    10-11-2016 07:50 PM
    Verizon told me today that all people with note 7 phones will be getting that box. Sounds like they want the phone back, and I would guess the kill switch will be 30 days after box comes.
    Yeah, it says that on Verizon website, through the link provided from today's email from Verizon.... Didn't say anything about 30 days/kill switch though

I heard the box can only fit the phone. Is that true? Had no plans to give up accessories anyway.... another fast charger will come in handy next year
    10-11-2016 08:11 PM
    Yeah, it says that on Verizon website, through the link provided from today's email from Verizon.... Didn't say anything about 30 days/kill switch though

I heard the box can only fit the phone. Is that true? Had no plans to give up accessories anyway.... another fast charger will come in handy next year
    I'm speculating on kill switch. I don't think the n7 is going to be allowed on any carriers network at a certain point imo.
    10-11-2016 08:14 PM
    Apple never made a phone that would burn down your house,have a recall,issue "updated" phones that do the same thing and then have another recall. They made 2 mistakes
    10-11-2016 08:44 PM
    I do think they pushed hard to increase the battery life and then they rushed the testing of the device. I would be surprised if in the next few months we find out about a few internal Samsung emails from a few engineers worried about the new batteries. Lithium-ion is dangerous stuff. I think they got careless and pushed the envelope without sufficient testing.
    It is far more likely that the error is related to the PCB. Tolerance between some crucial power traces was probably too small causing failure with repeated heating and cooling. This was likely exacerbated by wireless charging. Eventually you get a short and then poof goes the battery.
    10-11-2016 09:47 PM
    I'm trying to do the upgrade online and it's telling me I have to pay $20 upgrade fee. I thought this was going to be waived?

Edit: Spoke with chat support - they refund the upgrade fee.
    10-11-2016 11:18 PM
    Apple never made a phone that would burn down your house,have a recall,issue "updated" phones that do the same thing and then have another recall. They made 2 mistakes
    Your point is? Have Sony, HTC, Google, Huawei or the rest of the manufacturers except Samsung done it before?
    10-11-2016 11:38 PM
    I just ordered a refurbished S7Edge on Ebay. It is not the phone of my dreams, but it will allow me to remain free of a Verizon device payment so that I can jump on the next Note phone.
    I had the edge for 12 days before the replacement were ready. Didn't like it, hope u will. I did trade yesterday at Verizon to the Note5. I actually like it. At least I am content till the next phone.
    skatergirl likes this.
    10-12-2016 12:14 AM
    Now that the Note 7 is officially dead, will all support and updates including Nougat stop as well? That would be my only incentive to get rid of the phone and switch to something in production.
    10-12-2016 12:18 AM
    I trust them. I trust them because they've been making phones for a long time and 1 mistake doesn't change that. Some of you folks are ridiculous. I guess you are perfect in all that you do? Samsung produced an awesome phone, recalled it when they didn't have to, gave promotion after promotion with free crap, and is still recalling it again at the expense of unfortold losses. Apple never gives anything or.has any promotions, and has had similar battery issues, yet there is silence.
    The fact that they did recall it which is unprecedented and what has happened since should tell that yes they clearly HAD to.
    10-12-2016 12:23 AM
    I'm willing to bet my left nut, that the only update you will see deteriorates the n7 to damn near unusable, if not unusable altogether...
    10-12-2016 12:31 AM
    No beneficial updates, there may be one to disable it.
    10-12-2016 01:00 AM
    No beneficial updates, there may be one to disable it.
    This. They aren't going to waste time programming stuff like android N for the phone they stopped making / discontinued.
    10-12-2016 01:05 AM
    It's all over man the note 7 is done
    10-12-2016 05:15 AM
    Just got off with Verizon. They voided my device payment plan, returned my my down payment, and told me to not return the phone to them either at the store or shipped.

Anyway I went with a Black Onyx S7 to hold me over. I hate the excessive curve on the S7 Edge as it leads to too many accidental touches (the curve on the Note 7 was perfect...like everything else unfortunately). I'm fully invested in wireless chargers and need the SD card and Gear VR functionality as those were freebies . Figured I can upgrade to the Note 8 next year...if not the S8 Edge sooner but only if they make the curve similar to the Note 7!
    The only way to upgrade after a year is if youre on the edge plan. The Samsung annual upgrade plan expired for the s7 and s7 edge. You would have to pay off around 300 bucks after a year.
    10-12-2016 06:25 AM
188 12345 ...