10-14-2016 08:50 AM
188 ... 45678
tools
    I love the brand .
    From A Buick 8 likes this.
    10-12-2016 06:40 PM
    Still waiting to see something directly from Samsung stating that they will no longer be producing the N7. See lots of links to regurgitated, speculative news articles, with info obtained from anonymous sources, etc. So far all I've seen from Samsung the past couple of days (i.e., asking carriers to stop sales/exchanges during the investigation) hasn't changed. It's not stated that they've stopped, or even paused production.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=arHc75Hf

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...on-takes-place
    From A Buick 8 likes this.
    10-12-2016 06:54 PM
    Just because the Note 5 took less than a year does not mean the Note 7 was not rushed. They clearly missed something in their testing. Lithium-Ion is dangerous stuff. A new battery design needs a lot of real world tests. I agree with the others, it the problem is not that it was rushed then there are other major issues with Samsung's testing.
    The Note 7 was rushed to market by about 1 week. That is what was reported before it was released. I do not think 1 more week would have made a lot of difference since these things can take a year or more from design to product on.
    Further the small percentage of failures would have required testing tens of thousands of phones to find even one failure.
    Samsung did the right thing. 1st they recalled ALL the phones. Once replacements started to fail, true failures or not, the canceled the phone and refunded everyone.
    Look at Toyota. They are recalling 400,000 Prius cars because an emergency brake cable failure has been responsible for several crashes, injuries, and deaths. That failure rate is far greater than the Note 7, and as far as I know, no one has been killed by the Note 7. Yet these cars will be on the road once repaired.
    The thing is what does a company do when a product fails? That is more important to me. Am I happy the Note 7 is off the market, of course not. But I have not lost faith with Samsung. I will use my Note 5 until either the S8 or a Note 8 or whatever they call it, comes out.
    10-12-2016 07:01 PM
    For now I am keeping my note7 love this phone nothing else interests me.if have to I will go back to my note4 .until note8 or something else interests me.
    From A Buick 8 and drty_e like this.
    10-12-2016 07:33 PM
    Haha
    Burned on the opposite side too.
    10-12-2016 07:46 PM
    I spoke to a Sprint CSR in the store. They notified me that the trade in for now is voluntary. But you can trade in for any smart phone they have. I will wait till the V20 comes out then trade it in for that since they phased out the N5.
    10-12-2016 07:49 PM
    For now I am keeping my note7 love this phone nothing else interests me.if have to I will go back to my note4 .until note8 or something else interests me.
    same here, going to keep mine as long as i can. i will use my old 5s if they turn my off my note 7. i will wait for next year i guess.
    sandra_17 likes this.
    10-12-2016 07:53 PM
    Just want to chime in. We all love this phone. But in the end, it's a phone. I know how they become more of a personal expression and have become a way of life, but it's still just a phone. The carrier's want nothing to do with it. Samsung has filed to halt production of it. We all know it's basically an unsupported piece of tech. I'll do my search for another phone and be okay with whatever it is I choose. For me, the means do not justify the ends. Why keep a phone that, regardless of how it's been performing will always have me thinking in the back of my mind if it will fail? To keep something that I would need to babysit is more than I signed up for when I picked this up. It's Russian roulette and I have no clue how many chambers are truly empty.
    10-12-2016 07:58 PM
    Like many of you, this has been unbelievably frustrating. Thermal runaway issues as-side (maybe), this is an amazing phone. In my humble opinion, it is the best phone on the market. But it is still a phone and I will deal with it and move on. I am an EE and have dealt with root cause analysis more than once in my 30+ year career and I can tell you that doing it correctly takes time. I can only assume the Samsung engineers are doing that, but not only for this product, but for future products down the road. Is it a design problem with the phone? Is it a problem with the supply chain (batteries, for example)? Or is it a problem with their process? Will we, the customers, ever know the final finding? Am I letting Samsung off the hook on this? ABSOLUTELY not!! As far as the conspiracy theories that I have read on this thread, ones that say that the workers somehow "sabotaged" the batteries. When it come to such things, I usually fall back on an English Franciscan friar, William of Ockham, and his famous razor.
    10-12-2016 08:43 PM
    Well thats unfortunate.
    I had no plans to turn my n7 in.
    Why not? You do realize this phone will get zero updates and will have zero value...right? Don't be stupid and return your Note7 or exchange it...
    wkemp21 likes this.
    10-12-2016 08:59 PM
    .... It's Russian roulette and I have no clue how many chambers are truly empty.
    Maybe, but there's literally millions of chambers.
    10-12-2016 08:59 PM
    I was actually thinking about holding on to it for at least two years anyway. I know resale value will be non-existent but I can only hope that it receives the Nougat upgrade, however unlikely.

If you want to reply to call me an *****, just please refrain. Any constructive responses are more than welcome. I know there have been a lot reports but with at least 2 million of these phones being used, the percentage of incidents is still small.

I honestly don't want the S7 Edge. As similar as it is (it's honestly missing quite a bit IMO), it feels like a serious step back. The Pixel XL renders my 256 GB SD card useless, even though I'm hearing it performs amazingly well. It also doesn't have wireless charging and I'd have to get the 128 GB version (more $) I had a V10 but the V20 really doesn't seem like it would make me happy after owning the Note 7. Maybe I will feel differently when I hold it in my hand.
    I looked and tested out the V20 while waiting to return mine... its actually a little too large for my taste and it felt somewhat cheaply made, especially considering the premium price they're demanding for it... as a pro - it was a bit smoother running overall compared to the N7.

The S7E I had as a loaner was "ok" but not great ... add to this I've lost respect for Samsung and their handling of this whole process... had they corrected this the first pass... I'd be extremely happy, now they have to *earn* my business back...

That leaves the older OP3 or new Pixel (XL) as remaining options...

I decided to actually go with a smaller form factor (one of the key reasons I originally bought the N7) and ordered a Pixel. As noted - max is 128 gb and I rarely have more than a few gb of photos and I stream music and play a few light games anyway. To that end I went with the 32gb option. What's ironic is that I received the 256gb promo sd card today - which I'll just probably sell on eBay..

The key reason for the pixel is the new software features and consistent updates... hopefully Google will make headway here like Apple and force carriers to stop with the bloat ware...

As for keeping the N7 - I wouldn't expect any of these to stay functioning for long... I'd expect that an official recall is announced soon, along with full ban on public transportation systems in the near future... the one key way to enforce this will be IMEI blocking by the carriers... we've already seen updates gimping software on the device... it won't be long before we see an update either forcing the device to shut down, or limiting the charge ability to say 1% to make the device unusable...
    10-12-2016 09:03 PM
    Still waiting to see something directly from Samsung stating that they will no longer be producing the N7. See lots of links to regurgitated, speculative news articles, with info obtained from anonymous sources, etc. So far all I've seen from Samsung the past couple of days (i.e., asking carriers to stop sales/exchanges during the investigation) hasn't changed. It's not stated that they've stopped, or even paused production.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=IoFxmPkT

Read this:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=egz-AFdz

You'll note the consistent response here is "If you own a Galaxy Note7, you should power it down and contact your place of purchase to take advantage of the remedies available, including a full refund."

The only "remedies" here are full refund or exchange at your carrier for an alternative device.

They have shut down production, and are probably investigating root cause of the reported issues. I doubt seriously that Samsung would risk even further damage to their brand at this point and rush the device back to market this year. I'd expect that they are actually reviewing details of the impacted devices and reviewing heir production lines as well. If the new S8 was going to use the same production processes learned from the N7 - then they may even need to pause/hold ramp up before releasing the S8...

Can you imagine what would happen if even *one* S8 explodes like the N7 after release? Samsung would effectively lose everything at that point... they have to be very careful here....
    10-12-2016 09:17 PM
    You'll note the consistent response here is "If you own a Galaxy Note7, you should power it down and contact your place of purchase to take advantage of the remedies available, including a full refund."
    I think people are waiting for some proclamation from Samsung that they have discontinued the Note 7 entirely, which I doubt is going to happen anytime soon. Samsung is probably going to try to keep quiet as long as possible about this in hopes that it drops from headlines and the general public doesn't pay much attention to it. When it seems that people have moved on, then they'll quietly issue a small press release or announcement saying the Note 7 is over, and it won't get as much attention because the media and public's attention is focused on another news item.
    10-12-2016 09:22 PM
    I did read this, it's why I posted the link above.

Yes, I read the recommendations/instructions. What I said is that nowhere in either link I posted does it state production has been halted, let alone permanently stopped. That has all been from media's unnamed and anonymous sources.

Yes, they need to tell owners to exchange/refund during the investigation - can't assume everyone has a backup, and obviously can't expect those who do not, to have no phone.

My other peeve is that none of the owners of replaced phones who have had fires, etc., have turned over their phones to Samsung. CPSC had to subpoena one of them. After all of this time, which of that gentleman's phones actually burned is suspect as far as I'm concerned. I prefer to wait on results of the investigation to proceed, obviously, unless they are actually recalled first.
    10-12-2016 09:37 PM
    I loved my Samsung Note 7 better than any phone that I have ever had.

Don't mean to sound like a Baby but it hurt today to transfer everything over to a old S6 I was holding onto incase of an emergency.
    And hurt even more to take it to Best Buy and give it to them.
    They was asking do you want another phone.
    NO !
    I'm eligible for a upgrade now. Don't owe for the Note 7.
    Sitting here wondering if they will come out with a replacement before Christmas to help them with sales for the end of the year..
    To wait till next march is a long time.
    That is 6 months without a new phone to make them sales.
    And till next August that is like 11 months till next August.
    Man that is a long time to wait.

And using the S6 after I have been using the note 7, Man please its terrible.
    Like going back in time.

So if they come out with a new name or replacement for the Note. I'm ready and have the money.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-12-2016 09:41 PM
    Well thats unfortunate.
    I had no plans to turn my n7 in.
    Neither was I... All the stress trying to get the 2nd (replacement) phone and now this.. I was gonna root the phone and hope the devs would keep me updated but that's not gonna happen if they flip the "kill switch"
    10-12-2016 09:48 PM
    Neither was I... All the stress trying to get the 2nd (replacement) phone and now this.. I was gonna root the phone and hope the devs would keep me updated but that's not gonna happen if they flip the "kill switch"
    Even if they don't brick the phone with an update, devs probably won't support it. It won't be worth their time because not many people will even have the phone.
    wkemp21 likes this.
    10-12-2016 09:56 PM
    I did read this, it's why I posted the link above.

Yes, I read the recommendations/instructions. What I said is that nowhere in either link I posted does it state production has been halted, let alone permanently stopped. That has all been from media's unnamed and anonymous sources.
    So... let's assume that Samsung magically finishes their investigation and provides a fix for the issue after a few months (that's being optimistic).

Then CPSC confirms the fix, goes through another extensive amount of testing (remember they allowed the faulty replacements back onto the country.. something they won't do easily again without significant testing and proof that the issue is fully resolved).

At this point, Do you really believe that carriers will actually sign up to allow any device with the name "Note7" back in their stores to attempt to sell them again?

Meanwhile, Samsung needs to prepare for the S8 release in the next 6 months - where potentially this same issue may occur there as well...

There are numerous articles by many reputable news sources all reporting the same thing - Samsung has ditched production on the N7...

This Note7 is no more.
    It has ceased to be.
    It's expired and gone to meet its maker.
    This is a late Note7.
    It's a stiff.
    Bereft of life, it rests in peace.
    If you hadn't shut it down, it would be blowing up the daisies.
    It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible.
    This is an ex-Note7.
    bigmo555 likes this.
    10-12-2016 10:23 PM
    I do not think the S8 will have a problem.
    Samsung will make sure of it.
    They do not want another loss like they have now.
    10-12-2016 10:26 PM
    I do find it curious that they are taking their time announcing a full scale recall. I thought the CPSC would have said something definitive by now. I don't know about you but that language that Samsung wrote means to me that there is no more Note 7 and its pretty definitive to me. So, that just makes me wonder why having they just announced a full scale recall of the device. I would think they would do so immediately with the possibility of fire. Instead, everything has been low key and passive. Samsung may want that, but surely not the CPSC.

As long as they are this low key about it, despite the news reports, people are going to take their time returning the phones back in.

(I notice that as late as yesterday, Samsung still have the Note 7 on their site to order, but notice it's gone now.. so it just looks like the moving that way quietly and slowly.) It should be a 5 alarm fire to return the phones back! lol
    10-12-2016 10:37 PM
    I do not think the S8 will have a problem.
    Samsung will make sure of it.
    They do not want another loss like they have now.
    Yeah I said the same thing about the replacement phones
    10-12-2016 10:39 PM
    Meanwhile, Samsung needs to prepare for the S8 release in the next 6 months - where potentially this same issue may occur there as well...
    ...which means that Samsung probably wants to devote as much time and resources as possible towards making sure the S8 is a solid phone with a solid release. That means devoting fewer resources towards the Note 7 at this point, along with trying to keep their name associated with bad news as little as possible as of now.

I do find it curious that they are taking their time announcing a full scale recall.
    Legal reasons, I'm sure. There's probably a legal definition of "recall" that they're being careful about.
    10-12-2016 10:48 PM

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=MdZLLFRp

You wanted official announcement? I got this email from Samsung Canada 3 hours ago. Note 7 is no more:

"On behalf of our entire Samsung Canada team, we'd like to thank you for your continued understanding as we proceed with the return process for the Samsung Note7. We are committed to helping make your return as easy as possible.

Beginning Thursday, October 13th, Samsung Note7 owners can bring their device to the original Samsung or authorized reseller point of purchase, to:
    Exchange towards a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge device.
    Receive a refund for the Note7 device and Note7 specific accessories.
    As a recalled product, it is mandatory that all Note7 devices must be returned. As such, please power down and bring all Note7 devices including the replacement device and original device if you have not already returned via the pre-paid packaging sent to you.

For customers who purchased their Note7 on Samsung.com, a device refund will be offered upon return receipt of the recalled devices. Samsung Canada will send a separate email to our online customers from Thursday, October 13th to provide them with details regarding the return process.

Please note that the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act prohibits recalled products from being redistributed, sold or even given away in Canada.

For Note7 return inquiries, Canadian customers should contact 1-855-747-6520.

We appreciate your patience during this process, and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your continued support of Samsung.

Sincerely,

Paul Brannen,
    COO, EVP Mobile Solutions
    Samsung Canada"
    10-12-2016 10:54 PM
    You wanted official announcement? I got this email from Samsung Canada 3 hours ago. Note 7 is no more:...
    I did....damnit
    10-12-2016 11:01 PM
188 ... 45678