When will they flip the kill switch off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
My employer. We have Citrix XenMobile managing all our iOS and Android devices and yes, it can do that.

We did instruct the users that have company owned Note 7s to power them off last week but some resisted.

If they issue the device this is doable. But a factory reset or using a byod prevent the remote wipe functionality - until you apply the profile that permits this (by joining email, wireless, etc).

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Stupidity or Incompetence?

I trust them. I trust them because they've been making phones for a long time and 1 mistake doesn't change that. Some of you folks are ridiculous. I guess you are perfect in all that you do? Samsung produced an awesome phone, recalled it when they didn't have to, gave promotion after promotion with free crap, and is still recalling it again at the expense of unfortold losses. Apple never gives anything or.has any promotions, and has had similar battery issues, yet there is silence.
Seriously? Why the personal attacks?

Disagree with my post, that's fine. But, saying that people are ridiculous because of having an opinion different than yours is wrong!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

You don't have to go into Verizon. Your account should be set back to upgrade status by now. Order a new phone and wait for Samsung to send you a box kit to ship the N7 back. Verizon stores are not taking back N7s... it's all being handled through Samsung

Edit: Verizon has washed their hands and want not part of this second recall.
Pretty smart of them to reset everyone's accounts for upgrade eligibility....
That isn't what VZW told me this morning when I spoke to them.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Worst case scenario

Give it back. You will have no updates or support and if something breaks with the phone not even if u have insurance you won't be able to get it fixed. Not to mention the disabling

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

My theories -

1) Poor QA or technical labor at Samsung's battery factories. Poor conditions and employee treatment lead to inability to properly produce good batteries.

2) Same as above, but conditions lead to disgruntled employees deliberately messing up production lines as a protest.

3) Similar to the disgruntled employee theory, but this time the disgruntled employee is further up the Samsung food chain and premeditated an act of sabotage, or an "insider threat" developed due to espionage by a foreign government or another company.

I highly doubt Samsung themselves made the same mistake twice. Something out of their control occurred. We just have to wait and see what exactly happened.

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

I trust them. I trust them because they've been making phones for a long time and 1 mistake doesn't change that. Some of you folks are ridiculous. I guess you are perfect in all that you do? Samsung produced an awesome phone, recalled it when they didn't have to, gave promotion after promotion with free crap, and is still recalling it again at the expense of unfortold losses. Apple never gives anything or.has any promotions, and has had similar battery issues, yet there is silence.

when they did not have to, let's see enough lawsuites and fines from the government's for something that could catch fire placing lives in danger could have cost Samsung there entire corporation, saying they did this out of the good of there hearts is just plain ridiculous

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site

My theories -

1) Poor QA or technical labor at Samsung's battery factories. Poor conditions and employee treatment lead to inability to properly produce good batteries.

2) Same as above, but conditions lead to disgruntled employees deliberately messing up production lines as a protest.

3) Similar to the disgruntled employee theory, but this time the disgruntled employee is further up the Samsung food chain and premeditated an act of sabotage, or an "insider threat" developed due to espionage by a foreign government or another company.

I highly doubt Samsung themselves made the same mistake twice. Something out of their control occurred. We just have to wait and see what exactly happened.

There are mechanisms in place to prevent this sort of thing from having an effect out of band with the supply chain.

It's a fun thought experiment, but doesn't really hold up. But let's go down the rabbit hole, who benefits from this?

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

There are mechanisms in place to prevent this sort of thing from having an effect out of band with the supply chain.

It's a fun thought experiment, but doesn't really hold up. But let's go down the rabbit hole, who benefits from this?

Who benefits from this?

1) Disgruntled employee causing chaos in Samsung.

2) Insider threat providing information or chaos for another government/company

3) Factory workers potentially getting what they want in the future - Better treatment, better conditions.

Mechanisms are in place, but people are behind those mechanisms. It's easy to infiltrate and obstruct these types of things if you find the right person.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site

At the end of the day, stupidity. Proper management would have realized that size of the gamble they were taking to rush the phone to market.

The poor judgement that led to the first recall was then compounded by their failing to properly assess the lasting damage of rushing a solution out and not properly determining the root cause of the failures.

You can say hubris, greed, whatever, but greed over reason leads to stupidity, and that's what happened here.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site

Who benefits from this?

1) Disgruntled employee causing chaos in Samsung.

2) Insider threat providing information or chaos for another government/company

3) Factory workers potentially getting what they want in the future - Better treatment, better conditions.

Mechanisms are in place, but people are behind those mechanisms. It's easy to infiltrate and obstruct these types of things if you find the right person.

1. Maybe - seems like a short-sighted approach, and why pick the Note 7, why not a more popular device?

2. Samsungs a leaky bucket already - it would be more damaging to sever their relationship as a supplier with a larger entity. Batteries are already made in-house.

3. Not going to happen - they'd price themselves out of the market. Would you pay $1500 for a Note 7?

Would have required too much of an orchestrated effort for this to have been opportunistic - my bet's still on greed and rushed QA.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site

1. Maybe - seems like a short-sighted approach, and why pick the Note 7, why not a more popular device?

2. Samsungs a leaky bucket already - it would be more damaging to sever their relationship as a supplier with a larger entity. Batteries are already made in-house.

3. Not going to happen - they'd price themselves out of the market. Would you pay $1500 for a Note 7?

Would have required too much of an orchestrated effort for this to have been opportunistic - my bet's still on greed and rushed QA.

1) Note 7 was the latest and greatest Samsung device, easy choice if you want to cause chaos or harm to a company. It had a lot of hype and attention.

2) Not sure what you are saying here. If a foreign government or company can cause disruption on a popular and important device, would they pass it up? See above.

3) Sure, but they could see it differently.

I'm just skeptical of Samsung making the same mistake twice. They had a lot riding on this. I doubt they half-assed it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

You don't have to go into Verizon. Your account should be set back to upgrade status by now. Order a new phone and wait for Samsung to send you a box kit to ship the N7 back. Verizon stores are not taking back N7s... it's all being handled through Samsung

Edit: Verizon has washed their hands and want not part of this second recall.
Pretty smart of them to reset everyone's accounts for upgrade eligibility....

That's very strange I am in Arizona and was at my local corporate store yesterday. I traded in my replacement in store for the Note 5... you have been misinformed. As for upgrading eligibility I am unsure I am not changing devices anytime soon. I have not lost faith in Samsung. Will remain loyal to the brand

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site

I don't. Samsung made a determination that batteries made in one factory were the issue. As it turned out, either all the batteries had flawed examples, or the fault lay elsewhere. Either way, they gambled (again) that it was a battery issue and lost.

I think now they will stop and take the time to determine what the root cause was, which is what should have happened after the first recall, but I think they cut corners to try to salvage market share. This all occurred as the iPhone 7, Pixel and V20 were hitting or about to hit the market. Likely the time needed to properly address the issue might put new Note 7's out to November or later and they didn't want to do that. Now, the device is dead because of all of the poor decisions made.

It was apparent they didn't understand crisis management when they didn't enlist the CPSC in the first recall until they had to.

Would a multi-billion dollar company with highly trained and experienced engineers make the same mistake twice?

I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay