When will they flip the kill switch off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Stupidity or Incompetence?

That's very strange I am in Arizona and was at my local corporate store yesterday. I traded in my replacement in store for the Note 5... you have been misinformed. As for upgrading eligibility I am unsure I am not changing devices anytime soon. I have not lost faith in Samsung. Will remain loyal to the brand
Free VZW Message: Samsung has announced that the Galaxy Note7 will no longer be sold for safety reasons. We strongly recommend that you power down and exchange your Note7 for another device of your choice. You can exchange your Samsung Galaxy Note7 at go.vzw.com/note7faq. Exchanging your Note7 online instead of visiting a Verizon store will be your most efficient way to get a new device.

EDIT: I should said Verizon is sending the box not Samsung...
It's all on the Verizon website

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site

1) Note 7 was the latest and greatest Samsung device, easy choice if you want to cause chaos or harm to a company. It had a lot of hype and attention.

2) Not sure what you are saying here. If a foreign government or company can cause disruption on a popular and important device, would they pass it up? See above.

3) Sure, but they could see it differently.

I'm just skeptical of Samsung making the same mistake twice. They had a lot riding on this. I doubt they half-assed it.

This line of thinking isn't following the path of least resistance.

Consider for a moment that Samsung simply rushed production and cut corners in QC/QA to bring the phone to market faster. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
They have already cut VR support with it it won't be long untill they start pushing out updates to force people into turning it in. I'm holding out till the 28th for the LG V20 reluctantly on AT&T. Will get me by until next Summer when I upgrade again.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moderator Note:

Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling.

Please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts.

Thanks.

allen476

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site

Factory workers weren't behind this. If they were, the lot numbers would give it away. Samsung could have traced it back to the date/shift/factory as to what the batches were. Instead the bad batteries have been made by different companies at different times.

From everything I have read so far, the batteries aren't to blame but are getting it none the less. They really need to look at the charging circuit and overload protections. Something tells me that the batteries are getting damaged from some type of runaway when charging and when the battery discharges, the damage causes a thermal runaway and thus a fire.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Knew This Was Coming Before Now

XDA reports that they received an insulated box complete with a ceramic liner and gloves today to return their Note 7 directly from Samsung.(gloves are in case people are allergic to the ceramic liner fibers)
They had to have known about this even before last weekend to pull this all together completed with specific printed instructions.
That kind of fries my butt.

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm so aggravated over this situation. It may be just a phone but after all the hours spent through the pre order prcess through getting the replacement, the fact I waited for this phone specifically to upgrade and there isn't a single other phone that suits my needs. My galaxy S5 was on its last leg, so now what am I supposed to do, shell out for a phone I don't even want? Not to mention the money wasted on the 6 tempered glass screen protectors I have, the wireless charging stand, two anker usb c battery packs, 3 cases, the SAMSUNG VR etc. All purchased on amazon and ebay so SOL there too. I feel like breaking something honestly.

What happened to waiting for the CPSC to find out if the new batch were even defective? In this age of media sensationalism and social media outrage was this just a rush to judgement? We don't even know for a fact the new note 7's aren't safe. Not one of those stories has been verified. Samsung is stopping production yes but that very well could have nothing to do with whether the new batch is safe and more of a cutting their loss for their share holders to not inflict more damage to their brand, maybe with all these reports and knowing that most are false they realize that no matter what they do any more note 7 out will always have that stigma so they are cutting their losses on this device. Could it be possible that after the CPSC finishes their investigation and if they determine that they were in fact safe that those who still have Note 7's can keep them once they are cleared, just they wont be making any more?

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Just got off with Verizon. They voided my device payment plan, returned my my down payment, and told me to not return the phone to them either at the store or shipped.

Anyway I went with a Black Onyx S7 to hold me over. I hate the excessive curve on the S7 Edge as it leads to too many accidental touches (the curve on the Note 7 was perfect...like everything else unfortunately). I'm fully invested in wireless chargers and need the SD card and Gear VR functionality as those were freebies :). Figured I can upgrade to the Note 8 next year...if not the S8 Edge sooner but only if they make the curve similar to the Note 7!

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I don't know that I would call it stupidity or incompetence. More it was an unfortunate unforeseen circumstance. Engineering made a mistake. It happens. That doesn't make them stupid or incompetent.

They've done well by their customers. Issued a recall at the initial outset, and when it expanded, instructed everybody to just flat out return them and get refunds. What else can you ask for? People injured by the burning devices will be compensated.

The only people that will ultimately be "out" anything will be the people at Samsung. Outside of Samsung, anybody left less than whole will be made whole. Samsung has the money, and it won't hurt them in anything other than pride to make things right.

I do think they pushed hard to increase the battery life and then they rushed the testing of the device. I would be surprised if in the next few months we find out about a few internal Samsung emails from a few engineers worried about the new batteries. Lithium-ion is dangerous stuff. I think they got careless and pushed the envelope without sufficient testing.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Who benefits from this?

1) Disgruntled employee causing chaos in Samsung.

2) Insider threat providing information or chaos for another government/company

3) Factory workers potentially getting what they want in the future - Better treatment, better conditions.

Mechanisms are in place, but people are behind those mechanisms. It's easy to infiltrate and obstruct these types of things if you find the right person.

How would this benefit the workers unless they go public with the protest. Silently damaging goods would not help their cause. Plus the issue is a very delicate part of the Lithium-ion battery. Careless design and improper testing is a much more logical explanation. If workers did it Samsung would sue the manufacture and move to a different production company.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Could it be possible that after the CPSC finishes their investigation and if they determine that they were in fact safe that those who still have Note 7's can keep them once they are cleared, just they wont be making any more?

I would say no since Samsung has actually canceled the Note 7. That is a big red flag.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Samsung Knew This Was Coming Before Now

XDA reports that they received an insulated box complete with a ceramic liner and gloves today to return their Note 7 directly from Samsung.(gloves are in case people are allergic to the ceramic liner fibers)
They had to have known about this even before last weekend to pull this all together completed with specific printed instructions.
That kind of fries my butt.

that kit was shipped for first recall. i have one in my office at work.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Samsung Knew This Was Coming Before Now

Verizon told me today that all people with note 7 phones will be getting that box. Sounds like they want the phone back, and I would guess the kill switch will be 30 days after box comes.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Just got off with Verizon. They voided my device payment plan, returned my my down payment, and told me to not return the phone to them either at the store or shipped.

Anyway I went with a Black Onyx S7 to hold me over. I hate the excessive curve on the S7 Edge as it leads to too many accidental touches (the curve on the Note 7 was perfect...like everything else unfortunately). I'm fully invested in wireless chargers and need the SD card and Gear VR functionality as those were freebies :). Figured I can upgrade to the Note 8 next year...if not the S8 Edge sooner but only if they make the curve similar to the Note 7!

It's so strange to see companies so eager to return consumers money, and they did not even take back the phone!

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

I don't know that I would call it stupidity or incompetence. More it was an unfortunate unforeseen circumstance. Engineering made a mistake. It happens. That doesn't make them stupid or incompetent.

They've done well by their customers. Issued a recall at the initial outset, and when it expanded, instructed everybody to just flat out return them and get refunds. What else can you ask for? People injured by the burning devices will be compensated.

The only people that will ultimately be "out" anything will be the people at Samsung. Outside of Samsung, anybody left less than whole will be made whole. Samsung has the money, and it won't hurt them in anything other than pride to make things right.

There's a much larger ripple, What about the millions of accessories already made? Both the companies with stockpiles and the consumers that have bought that inventory are screwed. When peripheral companies are screwed then the pool of stockholders losing equity massively increases, which results in less reinvesting. Mass production is done in waves so there's a whole wave of terror sweeping the industry that something like this could happen. I'm up north in FoCo and just otterbox buddies are saying this will cost their company a few million, but at least they're a giant entity. What about little etsy stores that invested a large chunk of their equity in a single production run! Then there's software startups and infrastructure softwares that required customization costs, all of which has already been paid which will have to be eaten.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463